• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Why isn't Roger Federer playing Davis Cup tie vs Czech Republic and Swiss Media response to Federer skipping Davis Cup in 2013?

roger federer czech republic davis cup davis cup 2013 federer davis cup swiss media

9 replies to this topic

#1 Inez

Inez

Featured Columnist

• Moderators-
  • 395 posts
  • LocationBarcelona, Spain

Current mood: Cool

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

Roger Federer who has represented Switzerland in 58 Davis cup matches winning 43 matches out of those 58. Mean while, ITF also announced a Davis Cup commitment award to Roger Federer.

This award was launched at the 100th Davis Cup Final in 2012. According to ITF, the award recipient should have competed in a minimum of 20 home or away ties or 50 ties at any level of the competition (including Zone Group Events) over their career. Initially 299 players met the criteria with awards presented throughout 2013. All recipients are recognised on an honours board at the ITF headquarters and in a dedicated section on the official Davis Cup website.

fed rain.jpg

Roger Federer(pictured) during a World group play-off Davis Cup Match vs the Netherlands in October, 2012.

Roger Federer announced his Tennis schedule/calendar for 2013 in November, 2012 & decided to skip Davis Cup in 2013 as he has decided to shorten his playing calendar to ensure his longevity in the game.

As Severin Luthi (Swiss Davis Cup captain) recently said in an interview to Associated Press, "He is for sure not finished with Davis Cup,'' Luthi said.

Federer opted last October to schedule more rest periods and time with his family this season, said Luethi, who is part of Federer's coaching team.

"He could really plan until, let's say, the U.S. Open more or less,'' Luthi added. "For him, it's sure that he doesn't play the first two ties.''

So, what that means, even if Team SUI reaches the Quarter-final and have a match up vs Kazakhstan, Roger Federer will be skipping that too.

That created a lot of criticism especially in Switzerland. Le Matin a famous media group of Switzerland, carried out a poll asking if Roger Federer is a national traitor :(

Here is a screen-shot of the poll

traitor.jpg

Image credit : Marita

Also, Stan Wawrinka in an interview stated his disappointment at Roger Federer not playing in Davis Cup and that also, made many hard core Federer fans very angry.

stannnnnnnnnnn.jpg

Stan Wawrinka (pictured) lying on the ground during the epic 7 hour long epic marathon Davis Cup doubles match vs Rosol and Berdych.

Thou, Media should always have their freedom of speech, but, calling Roger Federer a traitor is very wrong and I don't think, any one who has won 1 Gold, 1 Silver for Switzerland and participated in 22 Davis Cup Ties can be called a Traitor. If you ask, majority of the persons in the entire world, probably they know, Switzerland (obviously after Swiss banks and Chocolates) because of Roger Federer.

For me, Roger Federer is a true Swiss Legend and Swiss people and Media deserve to give him a lot of credit and by criticizing Roger Federer's decision to skip Davis Cup, they might get some brownie points, but for sure, this is immoral and unwanted for.

I am available on -----

Twitter | G Plus | FB | Read my posts via E-mail Subscription

#2 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: Snobbish

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

Yes, its a shame. & you rightly said, if majority of persons are asked why they know Switzerland, probably their answer would be Banking, Chocolates and Roger Federer.

I remember. my dad was reading an article written in a Kenyan newspaper (Kenya isn't that much in to Tennis) and that was a write-up on Switzerland, and the writer had written 5 reasons why Switzerland is so famous and of course, one of those reasons was Roger Federer :). Media is free to write what ever they want and now, that Team SUI has lost to Czech Republic, be ready to see more of such polls :).

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#3 Poorna

Poorna

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 759 posts
  • LocationIncredible India <3

Current mood: Woot!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

i knw switzerland only because of roger .. only after that i read abt switzerland!!

Posted ImageNo Matter What we will support him always!! My love.... Roger Federer!

#4 Natasja70

Natasja70

Roger Federer Fans Challenger Title

• Members +
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

In all honesty: I think it's a disgrace that words like this are used. Fed has given so much to his country, played DC lots of times, came home with a silver Olympic medal, etc. etc... Of course there is freedom of speech. Of course, people can express their disappointment and their sentiments about it. But there is a way to express that and this doesn't seem the right way... I think Roger has done some smart scheduling this year. Last year the crazy schedule obviously took its toll, cause at the end he was exhausted. He is aiming to be around for at least a few years and if this helps him, frankly I'll be more than happy to take it... And it's not like he said he is *never* going to play DC again... The press has always had him under a magnifying glass and this is even more a reason to do so... Awful behavior.

Btw: DelPotro got a lot of bad press about not playing DC this weekend too... Apparently, it seems a capital crime, not to play... Players should make their own decisions I think. It's usually based on something, ;)

Sorry for my rant ;) Something I feel passionate about, as you can see...

#5 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: Snobbish

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:15 AM

Well, here's a picture that I saw edited by some one

fed%20cares.jpg

Thou, many people tend to say that Davis Cup doesn't have any importance, but, I don't agree with that. But, at the same time, if a player has played Davis Cup for almost 10-11 years, then to blame him for being a national traitor is very unfair.

Of all the modern day players (with Sampras included in that), Roger Federer has played the most number of matches at Davis Cup. There are some people who said, that this year, Team SUI had the best chance if they had managed to beat Berdych (provided Federer was playing). But, as they say, "if Ifs & Buts were pots & pans, there would have been no work for tinkers."

Coming back to the point, I for sure am a firm believer that a player should be given the freedom to chose when to play & when not to play. There is no point in any one just coming to play with half hearted devotion.

The scheduling of Davis Cup also makes it tough for players. Expecting to play just 4 days after Australian Open (1st round) and US open (semi-final) is very tough for players.

I am sure, if Federer plays in Basel in 2013, the Swiss media will get their answers as to how much the Swiss people still love Roger, with or without Davis Cup :).

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#6 Poorna

Poorna

• Moderators-
  • 759 posts
  • LocationIncredible India <3

Current mood: Woot!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:10 AM

Well, here's a picture that I saw edited by some one

fed%20cares.jpg

I am sure, if Federer plays in Basel in 2013, the Swiss media will get their answers as to how much the Swiss people still love Roger, with or without Davis Cup :).

awesome edit.. i just love this pic

well said Vibhu... just to gather some attention some are doing all this..

As we all know thankfully roger doesnt read newspapers and magazines ...  if he reads he would have retired long back..

i just think so...

Posted ImageNo Matter What we will support him always!! My love.... Roger Federer!

#7 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 3,256 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

I do not want to add anything on your words, but the Media it unforgiving the players, they think that athletes are stone... Media's work is chatter, any way they should thank Federer because he gave them subject to write about, and not only this, also I'm sure they gained a lot of readers and buyers to the magazines and newspapers...

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#8 Yami

Yami

• Moderators
  • 589 posts
  • LocationNew Delhi,India

Current mood: Fine

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

It always upsets me to see media writing such stuffs for Federer.At 31 yrs. of age ,after having done so much for his country ,I feel his liberty to pick and choose should be respected now.It really gives me pain to see something like "national traitor" beside his name :( But one thing I can say is things like this are in no way going to influence the perception of Federer Fans.He was , is and will always remain great in otheir eyes :)

For latest updates on tennis ,you can follow me on -------

Twitter / Facebook / Google Plus / My posts via E-mail Subscription

#9 Yami

Yami

• Moderators
  • 589 posts
  • LocationNew Delhi,India

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

fed%20cares.jpg

I would really like to thank the person who edited this :)

For latest updates on tennis ,you can follow me on -------

Twitter / Facebook / Google Plus / My posts via E-mail Subscription

#10 Rita

Rita

Roger Federer Fans 2nd Grand Slam Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

Congratulations to Switzerland on getting through their round  this weekend, but.....I think this is tough on Roger:

For sure Roger would love to play if he could but this couldn't come at a worse time for him I think.  Right now he really needs to devote all his energy to his own recovery and I would have hoped his fellow Swiss tennis players could recognize that and cut him some slack.  I sincerely hope Roger does whatever he thinks is best for him, and isn't influenced by others in this matter.

By the way, those who say they only know Switzerland through chocolate and Roger Federer - what about Henri Dunant - founder of the Red Cross?  Or Jean-Jacques Rousseau - one of the world's greatest philosophers? 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+