• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

WTA Ranking Scenarios post BNP PARIBAS Open, Indian Wells 2013

wta wta ranking bnp paribas open indian wells indian wells 2013 victoria azarenka maria sharapova radwanska serena williams

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: Busy

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:20 AM

As you all know, BNP PARIBAS Open, 2013 is one of the Top-4 premier WTA Tournaments. WTA Premier Tournaments play a very important role in rankings as the winner gets 1000 points.

This is how WTA Rankings of Top 8 looked like on 4th March, 2013 (just before the start of BNP PARIBAS Open, Indian Wells 2013)

wta%20top%204%20rankings.png

As you can see, Serena Williams is still the No. 1 & leads Victoria Azarenka by a mere 40 points. But, as you will be aware that unfortunately Serena Williams like always is not playing in Indian Wells(you can see the detailed reasons as to why Serena always skips Indian Wells, by clicking here)

topppppppppppppppppppppppppppp.jpg

File Picture of Serena Williams, Victoria Azarenka, Maria Sharapova & Agnieszka Radwańska

So, now the big questions that so many of you asked me :::

i) Will Serena Williams be still No. 1 even after skipping Indian Wells, 2013?

ii) Can Victoria Azarenka or Maria Sharapova snatch No. 1 ranking from Serena Williams after BNP PARIBAS Open, INDIAN Wells, 2013?

iii) How far can Radwanska go in WTA Rankings if she wins the BNP PARIBAS Open, INDIAN Wells, 2013?

iv) Li Na will lose 250 points by withdrawing from Indian Wells, 2013.

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#2 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,224 posts
  • LocationIncredible India & Tennis world Traveller.

Current mood: Sporty

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:32 AM

How Many WTA points are at stake at BNP PARIBAS Open, Indian Wells 2013? As it is a Mandatory premier WTA Tournament (with 96 players in the main draw) ::

1. The winner gets 1000 points.

2. The losing finalist gets 700 points.

3. The losing Semi-finalist gets 450 points each.

4. The losing Quarter-Finalist gets 250 points each.

5. The loser of Round of 16  gets 140 points each.

6. The loser of Round of 32 takes 80 points each.

7. The loser of Round of 64 gets 50 point each. (players getting a bye from Round-1 get only 5 points for losing out in Round of 64)

8. The loser of Round-1 gets 5 points each. (player getting wild cards don't get any points for losing out in 1st Round)

Qualifiers losing out in 1st Round do get 35 points (30 points for Qualifying and 5 points for Round-1).

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#3 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:53 AM

Lets quickly, have a look at how many points the following players have to defend at Indian Wells, 2013 :

1. Serena Williams : Zero points. As, WTA doesn't have any points penalty provisions for skipping premier mandatory tournaments, so Williams won't lose any points.

2. Victoria Azarenka : 1000 points as Vika is the defending champion of Indian Wells 2012, so, she has to defend 1000 points.

3. Maria Sharapova : 700 points as Masha was the losing finalist of Indian Wells, 2012, so she has to defend 700 points.

4.  Agnieszka Radwańska: 250 points as Radwanska had lost in the QF of Indian Wells, 2012.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#4 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:15 AM

As Victoria Azarenka won't be able to gain any points from here (as she is defending 1000 points from last year), so the one thing that is 100% sure that even after BNP PARIBAS Open, Indian Wells, 2013, Serena Williams be WTA Number. 1...

serena%20no%201.jpg

This is how WTA Rankings will look like after Indian Wells, 2013 if :

a) Azarenka wins Indian Wells, 2013 & Sharapova is the losing finalist

1. SERENA WILLIAMS : 10365

2. Azarenka : 10325

3. Sharapova : 9715 points

4. Radwanska : 7705 points (if Radwanka reaches the semis of Indian Wells, 2013)

b ) if Sharapova wins Indian Wells, 2013 & Azarenka is the losing finalist

2. Azarenka : 10025

3. Sharapova : 10015 points

4. Radwanska : 7705 points (if Radwanka reaches the semis of Indian Wells, 2013)

c) if Sharapova wins Indian Wells, 2013 & Azarenka loses in the semi-final stage

2. Sharapova : 10015 points

3. Azarenka : 9875 points (if Vika loses in the semis of Indian Wells, 2013)

4. Radwanska : 7705 points (if Radwanka reaches the semis of Indian Wells, 2013) (if Radwanska reaches the finals of Indian Wells, 2013, then she will be  on 7955 points & if Radwanska wins Indian Wells, 2013, then she will be on 8255 points).

Thus, in a nut-shell :

i) Serena Williams will continue to be No. 1,

ii) Victoria Azarenka will continue to be WTA #2 if she reaches the finals of Indian Wells, 2013 (even if she loses the final)

iii) Maria Sharapova can snatch #2 ranking from Vika Azarenka if Masha wins Indian Wells, 2013 & Vika loses in or before semi-finals of Indian Wells, 2013.

iv) Radwanska will continue to be #4 even if she wins Indian Wells, 2013.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#5 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:19 AM

For the detailed draw of Indian Wells, 2013, see this detailed post here.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#6 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

Update ::: As Victoria Azarenka withdrew from Indian Wells, for Maria Sharapova
to reach No. 2, she needs to win her semi- final vs Maria kirilenko.

If Sharapova reaches final, then this is how ranking points will look like ::;;

1. Serena Williams ::: 10365

2. Maria Sharapova : 9715

3. Victoria Azarenka : 9675 points.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+