Before I begin the discussion, let me firstly tell you a few facts about Monte Carlo Masters.
Thou, Monte Carlo is a part of 9 ATP-1000 (ATP 1000 primarily means that the tournament gives 1000 ATP Points to the winner) Masters tournaments, but Monte Carlo is the only Masters that doesn't have mandatory player commitment.
Monte Carlo (unlike Indian Wells or Miami) has a 56 players main draw. Out of these 56, first 45 players are decided by the automatic direct entry (based on the ATP rankings of the players who decided to send their entry request to Monte Carlo tournament).
The deadline for TOP 30 commitment players to send their main draw entry request is 6 weeks before the start of the tournament, while the deadline for Non Top-30 is 12 weeks before the start of the tournament.
So, if any Top-30 player (be it No. 1 or No. 2) doesn't send his entry request to Monte Carlo Masters 6 weeks in advance, he isn't eligible to get a direct entry in to Top 45 players category.
Also, in the main draw, 7 Qualifiers and 4 wild card entrants make up for the main draw of 56 players.
As Roger Federer didn't send his entry request for Monte Carlo Masters, he isn't a part of the 45 players as explained above.
Till today(2nd April, 2013), the tournament organizers have given 2 wild cards (namely to Gael Monfils and to Juan Martin Del Potro). Del Potro initially had decided to skip Monte Carlo 2013, so that's why hadn't sent his entry request. But, after his early loss at Miami Masters, decided to accept the wild card for Monte Carlo.
So, now, that 2 wild cards are left for Monte Carlo, should Roger Federer accept the wild card or not?
A File picture of Roger Federer during the 2011 Monte Carlo Masters
The arguments in favor of Roger Federer accepting the wild card for 2013 Monte Carlo Masters
- Roger Federer by his high standards has had a pretty ordinary 2013 season so far. In the 2013 Race to London, Roger Federer is currently ranked 8th. He is in need of some ATP points to ensure his place in the World Tour Finals. As its still unsure, if Roger Federer will play at Swiss Indoors, Basel 2013, Roger Federer needs at least 3200 points more for ensuring his place in the World Tour Finals, 2013.
- This year, Roger Federer has started practicing earlier than last year. Last year, Roger Federer had a longer vacation and started practicing from 18th April, 2012. For a quick glimpse of Roger Federer's practice in Zürich, click here.
- After his back problem in Indian Wells, Roger Federer had stayed there for some treatment. So, for checking if his back is 100% fine, Monte Carlo might just be the place as he will have a 2 weeks rest after Monte Carlo Masters before the start of Madrid Masters.
- As Roger Federer's campaign at Indian Wells, 2013 ended on 16th March, 2013 & with Madrid Masters, scheduled to commence on 5th May, 2013, a 51 days rest without any competitive play might just prove to be too long.
- The last time Roger Federer took the wild card at Monte Carlo, he went on to win French Open and Wimbledon in 2009. Thou, its a very weak argument, but I wanted all of you to be aware of this .
The arguments against Roger Federer accepting the wild card for 2013 Monte Carlo Masters:
- Roger Federer in all his previous appearances at Monte Carlo has been below par. Thou, he did manage to reach the finals in 2006, 2007 & 2008, but in all those three finals, he managed to win just one set. For Roger Federer's past performances at Monte Carlo, see this detailed post right here.
- Thou, usually all clay courts are slow, but as we witnessed last year, the court at Monte Carlo was not only slow but very slippery because of the conditions and playing in such slow and slippery court can prove risky for Federer who is recovering from a back problem
- Its still pretty early in the season and there is absolutely no reason why Federer can't qualify for World Tour Finals, London 2013.
- The 2013 schedule from here on is very hectic and challenging. With Federer scheduled to play in Rogers Cup and Bercy Masters this year, he will need to avoid tournaments which do not suit his style of play.
So, after having discussed these pros and cons, my vote is No and being a Federer fan, I would really hope that he comes back fresh for Mutua Madrid Open 2013, rather than seeing him 3 weeks in advance at Monte Carlo Masters/Open.
What do you guys think, feel free to post your comments and participate in the poll.
PS : The cut off time for accepting the wild card or should I say, the tournament organizers have to give the wild card 48 hours before the main draw ceremony.
In 2009, Roger Federer accepted the Monte Carlo's wild card on 9th April, 2009 (he even posted a status update on his official website then). The draw was to be held on 11th April, 2009.
This year the Monte Carlo draw is on 13th April, 2013.
So, the cut off time for accepting the Wild Card is 11th April, 2013 , time ::: 12pm CET.