• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 7 votes

Should Roger Federer accept the wildcard for Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters 2013?

roger federer wildcard monte carlo monte carlo masters atp atp 1000 monte carlo 2013

30 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Roger Federer play at Monte Carlo (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Roger Federer play at Monte Carlo

1. Yes (2350 votes [38.21%])

Percentage of vote: 38.21%

2. No (3801 votes [61.79%])

Percentage of vote: 61.79%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:28 AM

Before I begin the discussion, let me firstly tell you a few facts about Monte Carlo Masters.

Thou, Monte Carlo is a part of 9 ATP-1000 (ATP 1000 primarily means that the tournament gives 1000 ATP Points to the winner) Masters tournaments, but Monte Carlo is the only Masters that doesn't have mandatory player commitment.

So, the Top players (including the Top 30 committed players) can skip Monte Carlo without losing any points. Roger Federer in his 2013 schedule decided to skip Monte Carlo just like he did in 2012.

Monte Carlo (unlike Indian Wells or Miami) has a 56 players main draw. Out of these 56, first 45 players are decided by the automatic direct entry (based on the ATP rankings of the players who decided to send their entry request to Monte Carlo tournament).

The deadline for TOP 30 commitment players to send their main draw entry request is 6 weeks before the start of the tournament, while the deadline for Non Top-30 is 12 weeks before the start of the tournament.

So, if any Top-30 player (be it No. 1 or No. 2) doesn't send his entry request to Monte Carlo Masters 6 weeks in advance, he isn't eligible to get a direct entry in to Top 45 players category.

Also, in the main draw, 7 Qualifiers and 4 wild card entrants make up for the main draw of 56 players.

As Roger Federer didn't send his entry request for Monte Carlo Masters, he isn't a part of the 45 players as explained above.

Till today(2nd April, 2013), the tournament organizers have given 2 wild cards (namely to Gael Monfils and to Juan Martin Del Potro). Del Potro initially had decided to skip Monte Carlo 2013, so that's why hadn't sent his entry request. But, after his early loss at Miami Masters, decided to accept the wild card for Monte Carlo.

So, now, that 2 wild cards are left for Monte Carlo, should Roger Federer accept the wild card or not?

FedererMonteCarlo2011.jpg

A File picture of Roger Federer during the 2011 Monte Carlo Masters

The arguments in favor of Roger Federer accepting the wild card for 2013 Monte Carlo Masters

• Roger Federer by his high standards has had a pretty ordinary 2013 season so far. In the 2013 Race to London, Roger Federer is currently ranked 8th. He is in need of some ATP points to ensure his place in the World Tour Finals. As its still unsure, if Roger Federer will play at Swiss Indoors, Basel 2013, Roger Federer needs at least 3200 points more for ensuring his place in the World Tour Finals, 2013. 

• This year, Roger Federer has started practicing earlier than last year. Last year, Roger Federer had a longer vacation and started practicing from 18th April, 2012. For a quick glimpse of Roger Federer's practice in Z├╝rich, click here.

• After his back problem in Indian Wells, Roger Federer had stayed there for some treatment. So, for checking if his back is 100% fine, Monte Carlo might just be the place as he will have a 2 weeks rest after Monte Carlo Masters before the start of Madrid Masters.

• As Roger Federer's campaign at Indian Wells, 2013 ended on 16th March, 2013 & with Madrid Masters, scheduled to commence on 5th May, 2013, a 51 days rest without any competitive play might just prove to be too long.

• The last time Roger Federer took the wild card at Monte Carlo, he went on to win French Open and Wimbledon in 2009. Thou, its a very weak argument, but I wanted all of you to be aware of this :).

The arguments against Roger Federer accepting the wild card for 2013 Monte Carlo Masters:

• Roger Federer in all his previous appearances at Monte Carlo has been below par. Thou, he did manage to reach the finals in 2006, 2007 & 2008, but in all those three finals, he managed to win just one set. For Roger Federer's past performances at Monte Carlo, see this detailed post right here.

• Thou, usually all clay courts are slow, but as we witnessed last year, the court at Monte Carlo was not only slow but very slippery because of the conditions and playing in such slow and slippery court can prove risky for Federer who is recovering from a back problem

• Its still pretty early in the season and there is absolutely no reason why Federer can't qualify for World Tour Finals, London 2013.

• The 2013 schedule from here on is very hectic and challenging. With Federer scheduled to play in Rogers Cup and Bercy Masters this year, he will need to avoid tournaments which do not suit his style of play.

So, after having discussed these pros and cons, my vote is No and being a Federer fan, I would really hope that he comes back fresh for Mutua Madrid Open 2013, rather than seeing him 3 weeks in advance at Monte Carlo Masters/Open.

What do you guys think, feel free to post your comments and participate in the poll.

PS : The cut off time for accepting the wild card or should I say, the tournament organizers have to give the wild card 48 hours before the main draw ceremony.

In 2009, Roger Federer accepted the Monte Carlo's wild card on 9th April, 2009 (he even posted a status update on his official website then). The draw was to be held on 11th April, 2009.

This year the Monte Carlo draw is on 13th April, 2013.

So, the cut off time for accepting the Wild Card is 11th April, 2013 , time ::: 12pm CET.

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#2 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 1,279 posts
  • LocationPerched on a Comfy Chair - UK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:03 AM

I too voted no, feeling that the extra time of rest and preparation will benefit Roger far more if he does choose to postpone his return until the Mutua Madrid Open 2013, which should give good lead in to Roland Garros.

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#3 Inez

Inez

Featured Columnist

• Moderators-
  • 395 posts
  • LocationBarcelona, Spain

Current mood: Cool

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

Thou, I too feel that its hard for Federer to cross the semi-final stage of Monte Carlo, until and unless the draw is favorable. But, at the same time, as you rightly mentioned that last year, Federer started practicing around 15th April & this year, the practice has started 18 days early.

This for me is a very big hint he will play this year at Monte Carlo.

2 more benefits that Federer might just get by playing in Monte Carlo---

i) If he has a good Monte Carlo, he will gain confidence going in to Clay court season.

ii) As you rightly pointed out, will be a good test for his back, if any further treatment is needed, he will have a 2 weeks rest before Madrid.

So, my vote is yes, he is accepting the wild card and doing 2009 again :).

I am available on -----

Twitter | G Plus | FB | Read my posts via E-mail Subscription

#4 Poorna

Poorna

• Moderators-
  • 753 posts
  • LocationIncredible India <3

Current mood: Woot!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

i am like "cat on the wall" .. i want him to play one side but i need him to take enuf rest!

Posted ImageNo Matter What we will support him always!! My love.... Roger Federer!

#5 Inez

Inez

Featured Columnist

• Moderators-
  • 395 posts
  • LocationBarcelona, Spain

Current mood: Cool

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

Also, one more hint (as per the latest post of Roger Federer on Facebook)

Roger Federer today (3rd April, 2013 at about 13 CET) posted on Facebook a picture taken after his today's practice at Zurich,

523549_10151532897964941_1821225723_n.jp

Just finished a hard work out. Anyone know where this picture is taken?

1stly, for every one's knowledge, Roger Federer is standing on The ferry between Horgen and Meilen on the lake of Zurich.

2ndly, this 7 day practice session of Roger Federer at Zurich is a big enough hint to me that Federer will accept the wild card for Monte Carlo Rolex Masters. One doesn't need to be that big a Tennis expert to understand that you have a hard work out normally 12 days before a tournament and not necessarily 35 days before a tournament (Madrid).

PS: I am not saying that Federer has any light practice sessions but all that I am trying to say is when a tournament approaches near, the practice sessions usually tend to get harder as Federer wrote in that status update :).

I am available on -----

Twitter | G Plus | FB | Read my posts via E-mail Subscription

#6 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,279 posts
  • LocationPerched on a Comfy Chair - UK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

Inez has a good point there regards the practice sessions Roger is putting in.  It will be interesting to see what he decides to do.

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#7 Saj_Roger

Saj_Roger

Roger Federer Fans Newbie

• Members +
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

I too voted no, feeling that the extra time of rest and preparation will benefit Roger far more if he does choose to postpone his return until the Mutua Madrid Open 2013, which should give good lead in to Roland Garros.

Hi All,

Personally i feel that Roger should play Monte Carlo..Mainly for the ranking points, He is defending no Points there so defenitly it will improve his points, especially the race to london, where he is currently 8'th.. :( Thats little sad...So i guess Monte carlo will help him to better that rankings...And another thing, He is still the second best player in clay behind nadal...So if Roger decides to play, then Nadal will be seeded 5 like Indianwells...and there is a chance for Djokovic -Nadal Quarters or semifinal. Who knows if Djokovic can beat Nadal, then Roger has a great chance to win his first Monte Carlo title...Just imagine how wonderful achievement it will be...It will not only improve his points, but also wil make him the only player to win 8 different masters...And this will be the last chance to do that also...So personally i feel Roger should play Monte carlo if he is fit enough...And he will again get 2-3 weeks rest before Madrid,So its not a big deal for him i guess....Anyways just hoping him to come back strongly to win some tournaments especially French Open and wimbledon... :)

#8 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

Two more things to add :

i) I personally don't think, Federer will play just for ranking points or just with an idea to add Monte Carlo title to his illustrious CV.

ii) Thou, only reason why I think he might just chose to play is to check that his back is fine.

The purpose of this hard practice is to be physically ready for a tournament, but, then again he will probably take the decision to accept the wild card to play at Monte Carlo depending upon how he is feeling after these intense practice sessions.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#9 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

For those, who are interested to see Roger Federer's latest practice pics at Zurich, click here.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#10 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 2,723 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

Actually it's difficult decision.... :unsure:

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#11 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,223 posts
  • LocationIncredible India & Tennis world Traveller.

Current mood: Sporty

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:53 AM

Actually it's difficult decision.... :unsure:

If you were in Team Federer, what would you have done? :).

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#12 Bingo31

Bingo31

Roger Federer Fans Challenger Title

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:18 AM

This is a tough one, I think that maybe he should'nt play in Monte Carlo, it's still early in the season, but I may be wrong.

Thankfully, we dont have to make that decision, but it will be interesting  to see what he decides to do. Good luck to him

if he plays, I would love him to do well!!!

Thanks Vibhu for all the info.

#13 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

This is a tough one, drawink that maybe he should'nt play in Monte Carlo, it's still early in the season, but I may be wrong.
Thankfully, we dont have to make that decision, but it will be interesting to see what he decides to do. Good luck to him
if he plays, I would love him to do well!!!
Thanks Vibhu for all the info.

Glad you liked the discussion. Were you able to get the semi-final & QF matches draw that I explained in Rafa's ranking post?

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#14 crazyfedfan

crazyfedfan

Roger Federer Fans Challenger Title

• Members +
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

I still don't think he should play MC, but that's based on what we know... meaning obviously Roger and his team have much better knowledge on exactly how his back is healing than we do. My 'no' vote stems from just how much pain he was in at IW, It felt awful seeing him struggle that much and I don't want a repeat of that situation ever again! So despite how lovely it would be to see him earlier than Madrid (the past 3 weeks have been such torture!), I would rather go insane from missing him than Roger miss out on valuable time for his back to heal.

But given these recent intense practice sessions however, I'm beginning to wonder whether he's going to say yes to MC after all. Does anybody know when is the last date for Roger to accept a WC?

Regardless, at the end of that day the Maestro has proved time and time again that he almost has a sixth sense when it comes to scheduling and balancing his life; so I will put my faith in whatever decision he makes.

Come back healthy and strong Roger!

#15 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

Great question that. I will incorporate that in the main post itself.

The cut off time for accepting the wild card or should I say, the tournament organizers have to give the wild card 48 hours before the main draw ceremony.

In 2009, Roger Federer accepted the wild card on 9th April (he even posted a status update on his official website then). The draw was to be held on 11th April, 2009.

This year the draw is on 13th April, 2013.

So, the cut off time for accepting the Wild Card is 11th April, 2013 , time ::: 12pm CET.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#16 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 2,723 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

Mmmmm, i say yes, because he has nothing to lose, and no cause i want him to be healthy and fit in Madrid open....So, waiting for Federer decision.

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#17 federeristhebest

federeristhebest

• Members +
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Current mood: Happy

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:53 AM

I think that he should not play in Monte-Carlo and accept the wildcard because of his compromised back and he needs to rest.

#18 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:31 AM

I think that he should not play in Monte-Carlo and accept the wildcard because of his compromised back and he needs to rest.

& if he feels fit & fresh after this intense practice sessions at Zurich, should he think of playing in Monte Carlo or keep practicing the same way for 30 more days (until Madrid). What do u think on this ?

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#19 Saj_Roger

Saj_Roger

• Members +
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:53 AM

& if he feels fit & fresh after this intense practice sessions at Zurich, should he think of playing in Monte Carlo or keep practicing the same way for 30 more days (until Madrid). What do u think on this ?

Hi Guys,

Don't you think that a rest of 2 months will affect his game?? 2 months is too much, He should play a tournament before Madrid to get some confidence to defend his title, That's why i wish him to play in Monte carlo, And he can reach semis atleast there and get some match practice as well, If he enters straight into madrid after 2 months gap, then i dont think Roger will able to perform well...All we need is to win atleast a title in clay before Roland Garros to get that much needed confidence...I hope Roger will make a better decision...:)

#20 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:19 AM

Hi Guys,

Don't you think that a rest of 2 months will affect his game?? 2 months is too much, He should play a tournament before Madrid to get some confidence to defend his title, That's why i wish him to play in Monte carlo, And he can reach semis atleast there and get some match practice as well, If he enters straight into madrid after 2 months gap, then i dont think Roger will able to perform well...All we need is to win atleast a title in clay before Roland Garros to get that much needed confidence...I hope Roger will make a better decision... :)

Good point that.

2 ways of looking at this :

i) Federer recently  has taken long rest twice ::

a ) in September-October, 2011 where he took a 45 days rest before Basel, 2011 & then he went on to win Basel, Bercy Masters & then World Tour Finals..

b ) in March-April, 2012 : when he had an almost 40 days rest after losing out to Roddick in Miami & then after this rest, he won Madrid, reached the semis of Rome & French Open & then reached the finals of Halle & won Wimby.

so, point number 1, he has always came back strong after a long rest.

ii) Are the conditions same as they were in 2011 or 2012?

May be yes, may be no. The clear difference being the back problem, which apparently wasn't there when he had the above mentioned rest.

So, my point in a nutshell is that, these practice sessions that Roger Federer is busy in these days have been planned with a view to be fully fit & then analyze whether he is ready for Monte Carlo by say 9th or 10th April, 2013.

& I don't think, he will play there just for ATP Points, if he plays, that will be to check out his back & his fitness level before the more important clay court tournaments begin.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+