• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Will Rafael Nadal play at Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid Masters 2013?

rafael nadal mutua madrid open madrid masters atp atp 1000

8 replies to this topic

Poll: Will Rafael Nadal play at Madrid Masters 2013? (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Nadal will play at Mutua Madrid Open, 2013?

1. Yes (51 votes [53.12%])

Percentage of vote: 53.12%

2. No (45 votes [46.88%])

Percentage of vote: 46.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Inez

Inez

Featured Columnist

• Moderators-
  • 395 posts
  • LocationBarcelona, Spain

Current mood: Cool

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:09 AM

As you all are aware, 2012 Mutua Madrid Open or Madrid Masters was played on Blue Clay. For every one who is interested to know what's the difference between Blue & Red Clay, see it right here.

All top players including Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray had criticized the usage of Blue Clay.

After Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic lost out early in 2012, they threatened to stop playing at Madrid until Blue clay Court surface was in use.

The Tournament owner (Romanian Billionaire) Ion Tiriac categorically then had stated that Mutua Madrid Open will continue to be played on Blue Clay & those who have problems with it are free to stay away.

Also, Ion Tiriac then described Rafa "Nadal as a great champion but he expects Rafa will be more professional as well."

ion-tiriac.jpg

File picture of Mutua Madrid Open Owner (Romanian Billionaire) Ion Tiriac

This lead to worsening of relationship between Ion Tiriac and Nadal camp.

During the trophy presentation ceremony at 2012 Madrid Masters, almost every one in the crowd had booed Ion Tiriac. Clearly, every one in our country wants to see Rafa Nadal play rather than a billionaire businessman selling his idea and making the court blue to make it on par with the main title Sponsors Mutua who have a blue colored logo.

Here is the video of the Trophy Presentation ceremony of 2012 Madrid Masters (having Roger Federer, Tomas Berdych) where in Will Smith was present also.

PS: Jump straight to 10.25 if you wan't to see the crowd booing Ion Tiriac.

In an important development, on 23rd June, 2012 the ATP Board of Directors decided against Blue Clay in any ATP Tournament.

So, what that means is that Mutua Madrid Open 2013 will be played on the traditional Red Clay.

But, what's unsure is will Rafael Nadal play at Madrid Masters (the only ATP 1000 masters tournament in his home country).

Will Rafael Nadal play at Madrid Masters 2013, now that red clay is back?

rafa 2010.jpg

File Picture of Rafael Nadal with the 2010 Madrid Trophy

As you all know, Rafael Nadal was out from Tennis for 7 long months because of knee issues.

In January while talking to Spanish press, Toni Nadal (uncle and coach of Rafael Nadal) was asked if Rafa would play at Madrid Masters 2013, now that the traditional red clay is back at Madrid?

“I do not know,” Toni Nadal replied when asked whether they would return for the 2013 edition of the Madrid tournament. “Anyway, the decision was entirely up to the ATP, not that [Tiriac] wanted to change the color of the court.

This man (Tiriac) may have the audacity or the idea of doing what he wants, but the ATP Tour should monitor and give permission to one option or another. I don’t like the blue clay, but regardless of the bad conditions, it was unfeasible to use it.

There is already a problem having this tournament in Madrid because of the altitude, because it isn’t similar to other Roland Garros warm-up tournaments and it’s a different type of game in the middle of the clay court season.”

Toni Nadal also complained that the weight of the ball is different there than at other tournaments and believes that it should be similar at all clay court events.

“The ATP talks to clay court tournament organizers about unifying the [weight] ball and having similar conditions,” he said.

“And then, suddenly, you changed the whole concept of the game. On that surface. the game is completely different. And I will say it again: it was the failure of the ATP to have given [Tiriac] permission (for blue clay), not of the owner who has the right to promote whatever he wants.”

Rafael Nadal as we have seen in the past has lost three finals in Madrid and has been able to win Madrid Masters "only" twice. I used the word "only" because he has won Monte Carlo Masters Eight times till now (updated after his 2012 win) & Rome Masters six times.

So, clearly Rafa Nadal has struggled just that wee bit on Madrid clay courts because of the high altitude and the fast conditions.

So, if issues with Ion Tiriac, heavy balls and high altitude are a hindrance for Nadal to think of playing at Madrid Open in 2013.

Then another big issue is of the tight schedule.

As, you know, that Rafa Nadal will be playing in the Monte Carlo Masters starting from 15th April, 2013.

The very next week, he will be playing in my hometown Barcelona Open starting from 22nd April, 2013.

After 14 days of Tennis, Rafa Nadal is scheduled to have a week off.

Then, Nadal is scheduled to play at Madrid Open beginning from 5th May, 2013.

Then, Italian Open/Rome Masters is scheduled to start from 12th May, 2013.

French Open, 2013 starts from 26th May, 2013.

As you can clearly see that Rafael Nadal's schedule leading up to French Open, 2013 is very hectic and clearly, he won't want to risk his knees ahead of French Open.

I won't be surprised if Rafael Nadal pulls out of Mutua Madrid Open, 2013. Thou, from the point of view of all my friends who are attending the Mutua Madrid Open 2013, I sincerely hope that he plays.

If Rafael Nadal skips or fails to win Mutua Madrid Open, 2013, then he won't be able to regain ATP World No. 4 ranking from David Ferrer (at least till the end of Wimbledon) and would get No. 5 seeding at French Open, 2013.

For a more comprehensive review of Rafael Nadal's ranking leading up to French Open, see this detailed post right here.

I am available on -----

Twitter | G Plus | FB | Read my posts via E-mail Subscription

#2 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: Busy

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

You perhaps explained every thing, nothing left to add for me :). Thou, I personally would hope that Rafa plays at Madrid Masters as that is too big a loss for every one in Madrid  not to be able to see Rafa in action.

Yes, as you rightly said that if Rafa Nadal skips Madrid Masters, we might have another Quarter-final lined up between Federer & Nadal either in the French Open or who knows, in the Wimbledon 2013 :)...

For a more comprehensive review of Rafael Nadal's ranking leading up to French Open, see this detailed post right here.

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#3 Inez

Inez

Featured Columnist

• Moderators-
  • 395 posts
  • LocationBarcelona, Spain

Current mood: Cool

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

Rafa in an interview recently stated that his knees are still not 100% and he does feel the pain while playing.

Also, he stated that we won't prefer playing big players like Djokovic & Federer in the Quarters, but, he can't change the draws & have to live with it.

Also, when asked about his plans after Monte Carlo & Barcelona, he stated, I don't have the certainty my knees will respond well after playing for 2 weeks.

So, indirectly he was hinting that at this point of time, even he isn't sure, if he can be fit for Madrid Masters .

Here is the video of the interview -----

Video credit: RafaelNadalFans.com

I am available on -----

Twitter | G Plus | FB | Read my posts via E-mail Subscription

#4 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,224 posts
  • LocationIncredible India & Tennis world Traveller.

Current mood: Sporty

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

Rafa yesterday posted on his Facebook that he will be resting this week & his next stop is at Madrid.

So, I reckon it should pretty much end this speculation now :).

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#5 Guest_halyn_*

Guest_halyn_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

Nadal needs Madrid right now 100 times more then madrid need Nadal. anyway it will be a strange tournament as Nadal is the 5th seed he has to play in querters agains either djoko or federer.

#6 Guest_halyn_*

Guest_halyn_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

nadal needs madrid right now 100 times more then madrid need nadal. anyway it will be an strange tournament nadal the 5th seed he will play in querters against either federer or djoko but probably federer. Regarding Tiriac and his booing by madrilens crowds those are the worst crowds in tennis everywere. They act at tennis matches when a spaniard is playing exaclly like they are watching real madrid booing the opponent and that`s so pathetic and if Tiriac would not be there to buy the tournament and move it from hamburg to madrid the spaniard would not even dream to have a Master event in Spain. So they should keep the noise down.

#7 Guest_Jngannex_*

Guest_Jngannex_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

Guys

Does anyone think Nadal should rest for RG and pull out of Rome? I think he's prepped for RG after all that tennis on clay. yes he will lose the chance to be ranked 4th but I rather not see him risk his knees.

#8 V.K. Batra

V.K. Batra

Editor In Chief

• Moderators
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDelhi:: Karnal:: Sydney:: Chandigarh

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

Guys

Does anyone think Nadal should rest for RG and pull out of Rome? I think he's prepped for RG after all that tennis on clay. yes he will lose the chance to be ranked 4th but I rather not see him risk his knees.

Good point, but I am 100% sure, he will play at Rome.He has a 7 days rest after Rome.

#9 V.K. Batra

V.K. Batra

Editor In Chief

• Moderators
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDelhi:: Karnal:: Sydney:: Chandigarh

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

Just for this thread, Not only did Rafa play but also win, catch the match report of the final right here.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+