• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Roger Federer confirms about playing at Swiss Indoors, Basel 2013 in an exclusive interview to Rene Stauffer

roger federer swiss indoors basel 2013 rene stauffer rene stauffer interview english translation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,632 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

Amidst, all those rumors about Roger Federer deciding to skip Swiss Indoors, Basel 2013, Roger Federer in an exclusive interview to Rene Stauffer (the world renowned author of Roger Federer's autobiography "Quest for Perfection"), Federer clarified that he will be playing at Swiss Indoors, Basel 2013 without any contract. He plays Basel because of the love for Fans & his love for Basel.

Also, Federer talked about his back issues and his training schedules and if playing in more tournaments was an option for him as his current Race to London (Year to date) Ranking is currently 8th. Also, Federer talked about having to miss tournaments in Asia and Bercy Masters (Paris) 2013 because of his commitment to play at Swiss Indoors, Basel.

RfbyPenabaza1.png

The interview in German was posted in Tagesanzeiger & you can read the full German interview here.

Here is our English translated interview (not a word by word translation but best effort has been made to cover every sentence to make it as meaningful as possible)

Rene Stauffer (RS): You are in the midst of a nearly two-month break from competition. What do you do in this time?

Roger Federer (RF) : First, I recovered from the tournaments in Rotterdam, Dubai and Indian Wells. I had a short vacation, but after nine days I began to work again. Three weeks I did not do nothing. I am back after a long time back in Switzerland & doing physical training, also I am practicing tennis again.

RS: Despite the bad weather, how right is to practice in Switzerland, just before the clay season?

RF: Because I have been working on a lot of fitness, the weather was not a big problem for me. So far I have played twice in a balloon shed on sand (clay court) & also practiced on hard courts.

That is why I am pleased that it is getting warmer on the weekend, then I can start out to train hard. Over the next few weeks, the training is going to get more intense. Would be important for me before the tournament in Madrid (from May 5) that there are good training conditions for the last two weeks. Then it would be especially nice that the weather holds.

federer clayyyyyyyyyy.jpg

Picture of Roger Federer practicing across the mountains in Zurich

RS: How is your back, in Indian Wells it did handicap you, especially in the quarter-final against Rafael Nadal?

RF: I am satisfied, can do anything again. But it went longer than I had thought. I am glad that I am now back in training and can also play tennis. Indian Wells everything went so very fast. I could not get enough rest after the match against Wawrinka, and against a player like Nadal, I can not win in such a condition, I do not know what percentage I was fit. I just wanted to try it. The break came at the right moment.

RS: Staying in Switzerland until the start of the clay season?

RF: Exactly. Severin (Luthi) has contact with several players that are here to practice (with me). I am glad that I can perform this preparation in Switzerland. Later, Paul (Annacone) will be here in the phase in which I play four or five hours a day tennis.

RS : You have been here in Switzerland for the past 3 weeks. Enjoying your time in Switzerland?

RF: Absolutely. I have missed Switzerland in recent years. It's also nice to enjoy little time with nature, to be here to meet up with friends and family.

I could calm down a bit from the stress of everyday life on the tour & felt normal. 2012 was particularly stressful because of the Olympics. I really enjoyed the last few weeks, even if the weather was bad.

RS: On Wednesday, the next Davis Cup opponents (for World Group Play off) of Switzerland will be known. Will you be available to play in September?

Federer : We must take it as it comes. Whether I will be there, I do not know. There is still a lot of time for that.

Rene Stauffer : Another question is whether you are playing in autumn in Basel after your contract has expired (in 2012)?

Federer : Was always clear to me: I will play the Swiss Indoors 2013. I've not communicated (it to all), but now the time has come.

I've always played in Basel, in all the years when I was not hurt. Everyone knows how much this means to me, the tournament, and that's always the case. I've been there a ball boy, who once played in the qualifiers, even as a junior got a chance to play (against the legendary) Andre Agassi. I have experienced many memorable moments in this unique atmosphere with great fans, and I am extremely happy that to be able to experience this year.

Stauffer : So now it has been an agreement(contract) between the Swiss Indoors and you?

Federer : No, but that was not necessary. I can play in Basel without any contracts or agreements and I am doing it. To compete on home soil, is very special for me because I'm on the road all year. I do not want to miss this chance.

Stauffer : There was much discussion about the negotiations between you and tournament chief Roger Brennwald, rumors and speculation, it was also much talk of money. And now you just play that?

Federer : For this I really want to add further, because otherwise it just might be misunderstood again. I never said that I will not play in Basel. And now I'm trying to simplify this complicated thing.

Stauffer : Does that mean that you will skip this Paris-Bercy Masters 2013 again (like in 2012)?

Federer : There are many tournaments I've often missed because of the Swiss Indoors, this is nothing new. Although I also would like to go to Asia or Paris, but you have to set priorities, and Basel has always been one of my priorities.

Stauffer : In this year Race to London 2013 rankings, you are at unaccustomed No 8. Have you thought coming back early to play more tournaments (like Monte Carlo Masters 2013)?

Federer ::  I've actually considered it. But I have also always said that this year the training and recovery will be my main priority, and I want to go this route.

What I save on energy today, I can invest later. In the spare time in which you do not play, you can always fill your reserve tank, I've noticed this over the years. Moreover, I find that I have not played so badly.

In Australia I was good, Rotterdam (Off against Benneteau), was disappointing in Dubai I lost in the semi-final (against Berdych after having a match point), and who knows what would have happened. This phase one of the season should not be over-analyzed. And now I'm preparing to do better in the coming months.

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#2 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

& in the mean while, Roger Federer's official web-site has added Swiss Indoors, Basel to his 2013 schedule & here is a screen-shot of the same (as posted & spotted by Svenja Mastroberardi) :::

svenja.jpeg

Also, as per a report on SRF, Patrick Ammann, Managing Director of the Swiss Indoors, confirmed that Roger Federer has sent his acceptance to playing in Swiss Indoors, Basel 2013 (starting from 19th October, 2013).

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#3 Roger Federer Fans

Roger Federer Fans

Site Admin & WebMaster

• Moderators
  • 1,643 posts

Current mood: Inspired

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

As now, its almost sure that Roger Federer will be skipping Monte Carlo Masters, 2013, for  detailed preview of the ATP Ranking changes possible after Monte Carlo ------ click here.

Subscribe us via -----

E-mail Subscription | Twitter | G Plus | FB |

Read our ---

Disclosure| FAQ

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this site & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time member of RF Fans.

#4 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

Disclaimer : There are some words (with in bracket) that have been added by me (weren't a part of Rene's original questions) to make sense of some questions. So, it will be safe to assume I added the words (like playing in Monte Carlo Masters etc) :).

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#5 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 1,275 posts
  • LocationPerched on a Comfy Chair - UK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

Thank you for posting this translation of Roger's interview.  To me Roger is showing a desire to keep playing as long as he can, but not necessarily chasing down ranking points. Though I hope he does make the World Tour Finals as without him the magic will be gone and consequently the incentive to watch and emotional involvement will be much weaker .....  :(

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#6 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,223 posts
  • LocationIncredible India & Tennis world Traveller.

Current mood: Sporty

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:04 AM

Thank you for posting this translation of Roger's interview. To me Roger is showing a desire to keep playing as long as he can, but not necessarily chasing down ranking points. Though I hope he does make the World Tour Finals as without him the magic will be gone and consequently the incentive to watch and emotional involvement will be much weaker ..... :(

Just to give you an idea, if Roger Federer skips all masters & just reaches the semis of French, Wimbledon & US Open, he will qualify for WTF.

Even if he reaches the Quarter-Finals of these 3 slams & QF of 3 Masters , he will be through to WTF.

Thou, the real problem in Tennis starts once you drop out from Top-8. Hopefully, that would never happen with him :)..

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+