• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 9 votes

Will Roger Federer or Andy Murray be ranked No. 2 after Italian Open, 2013 and thus get #2 seeding at French Open, 2013?

roger federer andy murray french open french open 2013 madrid masters madrid masters 2013 rome masters rome masters 2013 italian open 2013 french open seeding no 2 ranking atp ranking

7 replies to this topic

#1 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,224 posts
  • LocationIncredible India & Tennis world Traveller.

Current mood: Sporty

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:26 AM

Hey all,

I am sure, many of you would be interested in knowing who will be seeded 2nd at French Open, 2013. The main benefit that I see of being seeded #2 at Roland Garros is that you won't get to play Novak Djokovic (who most of the pundits rate as one of the top favorites for French Open, 2013) before the finals.

Though, as we have been discussing that its still not sure, if Rafa Nadal will be able to regain No. 4 ranking before French Open, 2013, so yes, if Rafael Nadal gets the 5th seeding for Roland Garros, 2013 there is a chance that Roger Federer or Andy Murray or for that matter, even Novak Djokovic might face Rafael Nadal in the Quarter-finals of French Open, 2013.

If we consider for a moment that the draw puts Djokovic and Nadal to meet in the Quarter-finals, then getting the No. 2 seeding for French Open, 2013 might just make it easier for Murray or Federer (who ever is seeded No. 2) to reach the finals of French Open, 2013.

fedray.png

File picture of Andy Murray and Roger Federer taken at ATP WTF GALA, 2012

As you all know, after Andy Murray lost to Stanislas Wawrinka in the 3rd round of Monte Carlo Masters, 2013, he lost the No. 2 rank to Roger Federer.

This is how ATP Points of Federer & Murray looked like on 22.04.2013 (after Monte Carlo Masters)

Federer : 8670

Murray :  8660

This year, Andy Murray isn't playing in Barcelona Open, so as Murray had reached the Quarter-finals of Barcelona in 2012, he will lose out 90 points when the next ATP Ranking points are announced on 29th April, 2013.

This is how ATP Points of Federer & Murray will look like on 29.04.2013 (after Barcelona)

Federer: 8670

Murray:  8570

After Barcelona, we will be left with two tournaments where in both Federer and Murray will be playing.

1st up is Madrid Masters(Mutua Madrid Open : an ATP 1000 tournament) starting from 6th May, 2013.

Federer is the defending champion of Madrid and will be defending 1000 points, while Murray had withdrawn from Madrid in 2012 due to an injury, so he isn't defending any points there. What ever, he gains there, will be a net gain.

Let us firstly discuss will Roger Federer or Andy Murray will be ranked #2 after Madrid Masters, 2013?

If Federer successfully defends, Madrid, he will be on 8670 points after Madrid, 2013

If Murray loses in the Round of 16 (or call it Round-3), he will be on 8660 points.

Thus, the only condition in which Federer can be No. 2 after Madrid Masters, 2013 :

If Federer wins Madrid Masters, 2013 and Murray loses in the 3rd Round(Round of 16) at Madrid Masters, 2013.

Thus, even if Murray reaches the Quarter-finals of Madrid, 2013, he will be on 8750 points and Federer if he wins Madrid will be on 8660 points.

In a nutshell, Murray will regain the #2 rank after Madrid Masters, 2013 (when the ATP Rankings are announced on 13th May, 2013), if he just reaches the Quarter-finals of Madrid Masters, 2013 (even if Federer successfully defends Madrid title).

Next up is Italian Open (Rome Masters) 2013:

Just a quick reminder, like I explained last year, as Italian Open, 2013 draw is on 11th May, 2013, so, Federer will be seeded #2 there (even if he is #3 after Madrid Masters) as the seedings of Italian Open (Rome Masters) will be as per the ATP Rankings as announced on 6th May, 2013.

Federer lost in the semi-finals of Rome in 2012, so he will be defending 360 points

while  Murray lost in the Round of 16, so again Murray will be defending 90 points.

So, now, here are the 3 scenarios to explain you who will be ranked #2 after Rome Masters (Italian Open, 2013) and thus, get a 2nd seeding at French Open, 2013:

i) If Federer wins the Madrid Masters & reaches the finals of Italian Open (Rome Masters),

Murray loses in the Quarters of Madrid Masters as well as Rome Masters:

Then Federer will be on 8910 points & Murray will be on 8750 points.

In this case, Federer will be seeded 2nd at French Open, 2013.

ii) If Federer loses in the final of Madrid & Rome (both finals lost), then Federer will be on 8510 points.

Murray loses in the 3rd Round (Round of 16) of Both Madrid & Rome, then Murray will be on 8660 points.

In that case, Murray will be seeded 2nd at French Open, 2013.

iii) If Federer wins both Madrid & Rome, then Federer will get to 9310 points.

If Murray loses in the semi-finals of both, then Murray will be on 9200 points.

Thus, as you can see from these three scenarios, Murray looks the most likely of these two to get a #2 seeding at French Open, 2013.

To have a realistic chance of getting to #2 seeding at French Open, 2013, Federer will have to successfully defend Madrid and will have to reach finals of  Rome Masters, 2013.

PS: The draw of French Open,2013 is scheduled on Friday, 24th May, 2013 & the seedings will be based on the ATP Rankings announced on 20th May, 2013 (after Italian Open, Rome Masters 2013).

Mean while, Roland Garros are considering tinkering with the seedings to avoid a Quarter-final clash between Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal or Federer vs Nadal by giving a protected higher seeding to the French Open defending champion Rafael Nadal.

Will you support this move by Roland Garros tournament organizing committee?

Join in the discussion & poll by clicking here.

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#2 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:13 AM

Just two quick clarifications ::::::

i) Seedings of French Open, 2013 will be based on the ATP rankings after Italian Open(Rome Masters), 2013.

ii) In the first post, I meant if Roger Federer or Andy Murray are seeded #2 for French Open, 2013, then they won't face Novak Djokovic before the finals Of French Open.

Mean while, Roland Garros are considering tinkering with the seedings to avoid a Quarter-final clash between Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal or Federer vs Nadal by giving a protected higher seeding to the French Open defending champion Rafael Nadal.

Do you support this move by Roland Garros tournament organizing committee?

Join in the discussion & poll right here.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#3 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

Another scenario that I want to discuss :::

If Federer wins Madrid 2013 & reaches semis of Rome 2013, then Federer will be on 8670 points.

& if Murray loses in the Round of 16 (Round-3) of both Madrid & Rome, then Murray will be on 8660 points.

This is how tough it is for Federer to get No. 2 seeding for French Open, 2013.

On a lighter note, as Wawrinka is now in the Top-16, if draw permits, Wawrinka might get to play against Murray in both Madrid & Rome ;).

So, that might give Wawrinka two chances to ensure Federer is the No. 2 :)...

JFI, No. 1 to No. 4 seeds can get to play any one seeded between 9th to 16th in the Round of 16 in the Round of 16 or call it Round-3 of ATP-1000 masters tournaments ......

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#4 sausan

sausan

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 2,949 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

How difficult it is for Federer to protect on his rank as NO.2.... God bless him,protect him and make him win :)

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#5 @batravk786

@batravk786

Roger Federer Fans Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

Now, after Roger Federer's loss in the R3 of Madrid Open, Andy Murray will be seeded #2 at French Open and Federer at best will be seeded #3 & if David Ferrer wins Madrid or Rome, Fed will be #4...

For details, see the last post in this thread.

#6 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,745 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

This is how points of Murray and Federer looked like before the start of Italian Open, 2013

Murray :  8750

Federer :  7760

As explained above, Murray by virtue of retiring in the R2 will lose out 80 points (was defending 90 points from last year and 10 points gained from this year) , thus, will be on 8670 points after Italian Open.

Even, if Federer wins Italian Open, 2013 will be on 8400 points.

So, its 100% sure that Andy Murray will be the #2 seed at French Open, 2013.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#7 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,745 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:15 AM

For seeing the latest ATP points of The Top-11 to be announced on 20th May, 2013, see this detailed post right here.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#8 ramos

ramos

Roger Federer Fans 250 Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:58 PM

IMHO, the best case scenario for RG would be to get Tsonga or Ferrer on QF (perhaps Tsonga in clay) and Murray on SF, before reaching the final.

Otherwise, if Murray fails the tournament, the best SF would be Ferrer.

For the final, Roger would have a better chance against Novak, of course, but every Roger fan still dreams of a Roland Garros victory over Rafa. For that, we have to beat, somehow, that top spin...

Let's all hope for a good draw for Roger.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roger federer, andy murray, french open, french open 2013, madrid masters, madrid masters 2013, rome masters, rome masters 2013, italian open 2013, french open seeding, no 2 ranking, atp ranking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+