• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 7 votes

How True are the Swiss Media reports of Rafael Nadal playing at Swiss Indoors, Basel 2013?

rafael nadal rafa nadal swiss indoors basel swiss indoors 2013 roger brennwald

11 replies to this topic

#1 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: Snobbish

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

Hey all,

Important update ::::  

Rafa Nadal has agreed to play at Swiss Indoors, Basel,2013.

Read the full news right here. 

Here is the full story from the day this news was first reported by Swiss media. 

As most of you are aware that I am a keen reader of all major Swiss newspapers for obvious reasons :). So, today morning was shell-shocked to read the news that Swiss Indoors is trying to woo Rafael Nadal to play at Swiss Indoors, Basel 2013.

After I read this news, my immediate reaction was that an Apocalypse was gonna happen & I immediately tweeted my first two reactions early morning today:

If Rafa #Nadal agrees 2 play #SwissIndoors, #Basel (report by Swiss Media),we will soon find #Dinosaurs are #Extant,Humans are #Extinct. #Apocalypse

If Rafa #Nadal plays @ #SwissIndoors, #Basel as reported by BZ, we'll soon find that Life exists on every planet other than Earth. #Apocalypse

17 days back in an exclusive interview to Rene Stauffer, Roger Federer confirmed that he will be playing at Swiss Indoors, without any contract. If you missed that interview, read it right here.

Firstly a quick write-up as to what some major Swiss Newspaper had to say --

As per the report on Basler Zeitung, on Monday, April 29th, 2013, Roger Brennwald (Swiss Indoors president) will announce the players starting list of Swiss Indoors, Basel starting from October 19th, 2013.

For the last many years, the tournament director is keen to have at least 2 of the Top-5 players. From 2009 to 2011, Brennwald had a contract with Novak Djokovic (which couldn't be renewed as Djokovic demanded a very heavy starting salary)

Last year, to woo Andy Murray, even a "British Day" was announced on Tuesday (23rd October, 2012), but the Scott withdrew before the draw because of an injury. In 2011, Andy Murray had withdrawn from Swiss Indoors one hour before his 1st match citing a sleep injury which he described as "It is something to do with the sciatic nerve and they think I did it in my sleep. Maybe I was sleeping in a bad position

So, Roger Brennwald is firm to his principle of "No More Murray". Also, BZ added that Rafael Nadal had withdrawn from Swiss Indoors in 2005 & 2006 because of injury.

As per the report on Sports.CH, as the players starting lists will be announced on Monday, April 29th, 2013, Roger Brennwald (Swiss Indoors president) is in advanced talks with Rafael Nadal for playing in Basel 2013.

Also, Novak Djokovic is no longer an option as he has demanded a very high starting salary.

Andy Murray in spite of being given a wild card (in 2011) and starting list (of 2012) decided to skip Swiss Indoors, Basel because of injuries, so he too won't be invited for this year's Swiss Indoors.

As per the report on Blick, they quoted the BZ article by adding that Stanislas Wawrinka has a 5 year contract with Swiss Indoors and Rafa Nadal had played in 2003 & 2004, where he lost in the first round.

Svenja Mastroberardi who is the editor of SRF was the first to tweet this story (as I was busy practicing my Tennis) in his blog, added that having Nadal can be bit dicey as its not sure, how Rafa will be at the end of the year plus his schedule too is very hectic.

Svenja also added an old video in which Novak Djokovic had spoken a few lines in Swiss German in 2011::;

So, will Rafa Nadal sign up a contract with Swiss Indoors, Basel for playing in 2013?

rafa muscles.jpeg

Rafa Nadal changing shirts (Pic Credit : Enrique Carrion ) pic taken yesterday at Barcelona Open 2013

PS: Scroll down for the Top 4 reasons as to why I called the reports about Rafa Nadal playing at Swiss Indoors, Basel as Apocalypse.

Update: Rafael Nadal will play at Swiss Indoors,Basel 2013. Tournament president Roger Brennwald today informed that Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Juan Martin Del Potro, Stan Wawrinka, Milos Raonic and Kei Nishikori will be the Top-20 players competing in the 3rd largest indoor tournament of the year.

Edited by Vibhuism, 15 October 2013 - 03:50 AM.
update after rafa's decision to play basel 2013

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#2 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

i) Swiss Indoors clashes with the Valencia Open

A quick look-up at ATP Calendar of 2013 will tell you that Swiss Indoors, Basel and Valencia Open (the last two ATP-500 tournaments) of the year start on the same date.

Though, Rafael Nadal was injured last year, but he was present at Valencia Open, 2012 during the retirement ceremony of Juan Carlos Ferrero on 23rd October, 2012. If you missed out that story, click here.

So, if Rafa is fit enough to be playing, I see him playing at Valencia than Basel.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#3 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

ii) Knees and fitness issues:::

The whole world knows that Hard court- Indoors is the least preferred surface of Rafa Nadal. Even, in the past, his doctors have advised him to stay away from Hard Court events to ensure his longevity. So, I don't see Rafa risking his knees for playing at Basel.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#4 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

iii) Very Tight Schedule ::::

A quick look-up once again at ATP Tennis calendar of 2013 will let you know that immediately after Swiss Indoors, we have Bercy Masters starting from 28th October, 2013. Then, we have the World Tour Finals, 2013 starting from 4th November, 2013.

Agreed, there is a chance that Rafa might just skip Bercy Masters, 2013 because of some issues that he has had there in the past, but still if Rafa plays at Shanghai Masters, I really don't see any point in playing at Basel until and unless Rafa is 100% sure of skipping Bercy Masters, 2013.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#5 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

iv) Starting Salary of Half A Million

Last year, as was reported, Roger Federer's starting salary or call it the contract amount was around Half a Million CHF, this year, as Roger Federer doesn't have a contract with Swiss Indoors, Basel, the tournament has this much spare amount to offer a contract to any other Top player.

Also, if we add up Andy Murray's starting salary (contract amount) that Swiss Indoors will be saving this year, may be, Swiss Indoors, might even offer a contract of about 750,000 to 800,000 CHF to Rafa Nadal.

Will this amount be enough to attract Rafa?

My answer is a big No

Just to give you a rough idea, Rafa won close to a million USD for winning theBNP PARIBAS Masters 2013 Indian Wells title, so I really don't see Rafa signing up with Swiss Indoors, Basel even if a million CHF contract is offered and risking his knees.

All your comments on this topic are welcome :).

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#6 Guest_Kim_*

Guest_Kim_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:32 AM

great news for all Swiss fans if he decides to play :).

#7 crazyfedfan

crazyfedfan

Roger Federer Fans Challenger Title

• Members +
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

I so wish this would happen! But I know it won't, for all the reasons you stated and in fact I am wondering whether Rafa will play at all after Shanghai (I think he'll play Tokyo right before) other than the WTFs. And given that Roger will play Basel, a part of me thinks, unless he needs Paris Bercy for the points, he will skip it too this year. That extra week is crucial before the WTFs. Obviously it won't be such an issue in 2014 when the schedule will have that week again, but this year I can see both Rafa and Roger skipping Bercy. As for the original question of Rafa in Basel, I won't believe it even if Rafa himself says it, not until I see him actually on court ready to play his first match. :)

#8 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,224 posts
  • LocationIncredible India & Tennis world Traveller.

Current mood: Sporty

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

I so wish this would happen! But I know it won't, for all the reasons you stated and in fact I am wondering whether Rafa will play at all after Shanghai (I think he'll play Tokyo right before) other than the WTFs. And given that Roger will play Basel, a part of me thinks, unless he needs Paris Bercy for the points, he will skip it too this year. That extra week is crucial before the WTFs. Obviously it won't be such an issue in 2014 when the schedule will have that week again, but this year I can see both Rafa and Roger skipping Bercy. As for the original question of Rafa in Basel, I won't believe it even if Rafa himself says it, not until I see him actually on court ready to play his first match. :)

Ha ha , interesting that you said that :). Though, I feel if Rafa signs up this contract, he will be there.

Though, as I said, won't be a very good decision & as a Rafa fan, I won't be too happy to see him playing on an indoor Hard Court because of knees.

Also, yes, you are right. I also don't see Roger or Rafa playing at Bercy Masters again this year...

I must add here, that I wanted RF to skip Basel in 2013 , but that was just not possible because of so many reasons :)...

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#9 V.K. Batra

V.K. Batra

Editor In Chief

• Moderators
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDelhi:: Karnal:: Sydney:: Chandigarh

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:29 PM

Update: Rafael Nadal will play at Swiss Indoors,Basel 2013.

Tournament president Roger Brennwald today informed that Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Juan Martin Del Potro, Stan Wawrinka, Milos Raonic and Kei Nishikori will be the Top-20 players competing in the 3rd largest indoor tournament of the year.

#10 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

Also, I just now posted another news article on this very topic for our home-page. Read it right here.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#11 crazyfedfan

crazyfedfan

Roger Federer Fans Challenger Title

• Members +
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:33 PM

Ha ha , interesting that you said that :). Though, I feel if Rafa signs up this contract, he will be there.

Though, as I said, won't be a very good decision & as a Rafa fan, I won't be too happy to see him playing on an indoor Hard Court because of knees.

Also, yes, you are right. I also don't see Roger or Rafa playing at Bercy Masters again this year...

I must add here, that I wanted RF to skip Basel in 2013 , but that was just not possible because of so many reasons :)...

OMG I thought I was the only one who wanted RF to skip Basel this year! I wonder what your thinking was there? I personally thought it was too close to Bercy and the WTFs and that maybe he could even give Tokyo a shot if he needed an ATP 500, it's got a better spot in the schedule. Just thinking out loud here :)

#12 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,224 posts
  • LocationIncredible India & Tennis world Traveller.

Current mood: Sporty

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

Three reasons I didn't want RF to play Basel :

I) Tight schedule

ii) have to miss bercy masters

III) adverse impact on ranking points.

But obviously, not possible for him to avoid Basel because of fans & other obvious reasons.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+