• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 8 votes

Projected Wimbledon 2013 Men's singles seedings and every thing that you need to know about Wimbledon seedings

wimbledon 2013 mens seedings wimbledon seedings explained how does wimbledon seedings work wimbledon 2013 seedings wimbledon 2013 mens seedings

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,388 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: Scared

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

Hey All,

Just a few minutes back, Rafa Nadal won French Open 2013 title by defeating David Ferrer & there by, became the first man in the Open Era history to win a slam 8 times (Federer & Sampras have 7 Wimbledon titles each).

As the outcome of the French Open 2013 will play an important role in the seedings of Wimbledon, so let us start our discussion for projecting the Men's seedings for Wimbledon 2013 championship.

I often get asked this question day-in & day-out, how does the Seedings of Wimbledon Championship get done?

Wimbledon championship unlike the other Grand slams viz Australian Open, French Open & US Open doesn't blindly follow the ATP Rankings for seedings of Men's singles championship.

b_Fig13-Aerial-South_AELTC.jpg

Is it possible for Grand slams (including Wimbledon) to give player seedings differently from their ATP Ranks?

As ITF is the Governing Body of Grand Slams, so ITF's 2013 OFFICIAL GRAND SLAM RULE BOOK (you can download the rule book from here) in regard to "Selection of Seeds" states that ---

The selection of seeds will be at the discretion of each individual Grand Slam Tournament Committee, however, the computer ranking list dated approximately seven (7) days prior to the tournament shall be a primary, but not sole, basis for such selection.

{Extract from Page-24, f(ii)}

So, in a nutshell, every Grand Slam can give seedings as per their own discretion with the primary basis being the ATP (computer) rankings.

Why doesn't the Wimbledon Championship organizing committee follow the ATP Rankings for Seedings?

Though, the main criteria for seedings is the ATP rankings but how ever, as Wimbledon organizing committee believes playing Wimbledon championship (on Grass) requires some additional skills, so they tend to add points earned from tournaments played on Grass (which any how are not too many these days). That's why, Wimbledon adds up the points earned by players on Grass Court tournaments.

What is the formula for making the Surface adjustment for seedings of Men's singles Wimbledon championship?

Since 2002 (after an agreement with the ATP), Wimbledon organizing committee can alter the seedings of players ranked Top-32 in the ATP Rankings.

The main thing to emphasize here is that only the seedings of Top-32 (based on the entry list & competing) ranked ATP Players can be altered in the following way :

(i) ATP Points of these players as announced on Monday falling immediately before the day of Draw to be added with -

(ii) 100% of the points earned by these players in all Grass Court Tournaments* in the past 12 months +

(iii) 75% of the points earned by these players for the best Grass Court Tournament** in the 12 months before that {i.e. 12 months prior to (ii)}

*All Grass court Tournaments here imply Tournaments just before the start of the previous year's Wimbledon Championships till the date of Draw of the current Wimbledon championships.

**Best Grass Court Tournament (with the main emphasis on the word Tournament) in the 12 months prior to that - That implies that the points earned in any 1  Grass court Tournament (one tournament where in the player earned maximum points) will be added.

Okay, enough of theoretical explanation of seeding systems, the discussion on how the seedings for Wimbledon 2013, will look like is explained in the following post. Scroll down for that in-depth analysis.

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#2 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:26 PM

Now that, Rafa Nadal has won the French Open 2013 title, the following will be the ATP points of Top 8 (as I explained 12 days back) to be announced in a few hour's time from now --------

1. Novak Djokovic -- 11830

2. Andy Murray - 8310 points

3. Roger Federer - 7640 points,

4. David Ferrer- 7220,

5.  Nadal - 6895,

6. Berdych - 4515 points

7. Tsonga -- 4155 points

8. Del Potro -- 3960 points.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#3 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:40 AM

Okay, let us add points (100% for 2012 Grass Court tourneys & 75% of the best performance at Grass court in 2011)---

1. Djokovic ----

2012 Grass court performances :::  720 points at Wimbledon 2012 (SF) & 270 points at Olympics, 2012  (to be added 100% = 990)

& 2011 Wimbledon, his best performance was Wimbledon 2011 (champion) , so 75% of 2000 = 1500

so, his total points for Wimbledon seedings = 14,320....

2.  Andy Murray -----  

Wimbledon 2012 = 1200 points (Finalist) & London Olympics = 750 points (Gold Medalist) , so total points of 2012 = 1950

Wimbledon 2011 (his best performance in 2011 on grass was SF @ Wimby) = 720 points , so 75% of 720 = 540

Total points of Andy Murray for 2013 seedings = 10,800

3.  Roger Federer ----

Points of 2012 (Wimbledon - 2000 ) & London Olympics points (Silver Medal) - 450 points = 2450 points

Best performance of 2011 (QF of Wimbledon 2011) - 75% of 360 points = 270

Total points of Federer for 2013 Wimbledon seedings = 10,360 points

4. David Ferrer ----

2012 points  Wimbledon (QF) - 360 points + Holland(Winner) - 250 points + London Olympics - 70 points = 680 points

2011 points -- Round of 16 of Wimbledon, 2011 - so 75% of 180 points = 135 points

So, total points of Ferrer for Wimbledon 2013 seedings = 8035 points

5.  Rafael Nadal

Performance of 2012  Wimbledon - 45 points

& best performance of 2011 Wimbledon Finalist -- so, 75% of 1200 points = 900 points

So, total points of Nadal for Wimbledon 2013 seedings = 7840 points.

Scroll down for a brief summary.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#4 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:52 AM

Summary :::

1. So, now, its 100% sure that Novak Djokovic will be the #1 seed at Wimbledon 2013, Andy Murray #2 seed at Wimbledon 2013, Roger Federer inspite of being the defending champion of Wimbledon will be seeded #3 at Wimbledon 2013, David Ferrer- #4 at Wimbledon, 2013.

Please note that points of Halle 2013 will get added to the points of Roger Federer's points and also, Andy Murray's points at Aegon Championship, Queen's will get added to Murray's points.

2. The points of Topshelf Open, Holland won't get added in to Ferrer's seeding points as Topshelf Open final is on Saturday, 22nd June, 2013 i.e. a day after Wimbledon draw date i.e. why. Topshelf Open 2012 points have been added to Ferrer's points.

3. Now, as Rafa Nadal has withdrawn from Halle, 2013, it is now sure that Nadal will be the 5th seed at Wimbledon, 2013.

Had Rafa Nadal played & won Gerry Weber Open, Halle, he would have been seeded #4 as 250 points from Halle would have taken him ahead of Ferrer.

Now, what that means is that now Rafa Nadal might just get to play vs Djokovic or Murray or Federer or Ferrer in the Quarter-finals of Wimbledon, 2013 and what a Q.F. Match that will turn out to be.

Feel free to post any other question & I will reply to those ASAP. Also, will keep updating the seedings of from players-6 to 32 in the coming days.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#5 sausan

sausan

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators
  • 2,305 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:36 PM

hats off , excellent explanation... Thanks a lot Vibhu :)

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#6 dkhazan

dkhazan

Roger Federer Fans Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

It seems that Federer will slip to #5 after Wimbledon regardless his result

#7 kartnite

kartnite

Roger Federer Fans 1000 Title

• Moderators
  • 118 posts
  • LocationMy Father, Let my country awake!

Current mood: Bookworm

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

Roger needs to do well at Wimby. I mean. Really well... *fingers crossed*

PS: Won't Federer gain points from his appearance at Halle, last year? He was runner up, right? (Didn't play in 2011)

- I am not what I am. And what I am not, that is precisely what I am.

#8 Guest_angrybrowncat_*

Guest_angrybrowncat_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:16 PM

complete rubbish. they can decide any seedings they want. Most likely it will be:

#1 Djokovic

#2 Federer

#3 Murray

#4 Nadal

#9 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:46 PM

complete rubbish. they can decide any seedings they want. Most likely it will be:

#1 Djokovic

#2 Federer

#3 Murray

#4 Nadal

Such nice words for such a detailed analysis :). In a parallel universe or if you owned the tourney, the seedings that you mentioned will be true :)... #MarkMyWords :)

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#10 Guest_Frank_*

Guest_Frank_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

Looking forward to your always detailed analysis of the potential Wimbledon outcomes:

as mentioned in an earlier post, it looks like Roger will have to do really well to keep his ranking at #3
-- indeed, if he doesn't repeat as Champion for 2013 his ranking points (defending 2000 pts) will take a big dip
--- Roger's points margin over Ferrer is currently at 420 pts
--- Roger's points margin over Nadal is currently at 745 pts

If Federer wins, his points remain the same.  If Federer is runner up, he drops 800 pts -- so that could be very significant.

I'll definitely stay tuned for your much more in depth analysis.

#11 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:08 AM

Looking forward to your always detailed analysis of the potential Wimbledon outcomes:

as mentioned in an earlier post, it looks like Roger will have to do really well to keep his ranking at #3
-- indeed, if he doesn't repeat as Champion for 2013 his ranking points (defending 2000 pts) will take a big dip
--- Roger's points margin over Ferrer is currently at 420 pts
--- Roger's points margin over Nadal is currently at 745 pts

If Federer wins, his points remain the same.  If Federer is runner up, he drops 800 pts -- so that could be very significant.

I'll definitely stay tuned for your much more in depth analysis.

Thanks Franks as always for your appreciation, will be a writing a detailed post on Roger  Federer's ranking by tomorrow evening. Do watch out :).

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#12 Guest_tennisfan_*

Guest_tennisfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:23 AM

Poetic justice:

1: Djoker

2: Murray

3: Federer

4: Ferrer    

5: Rafa

and somehow Rafa lands in the same quarter as #4: Ferrer   :)

There is a 25% probability of this happening !

#13 Guest_grissela_*

Guest_grissela_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:32 PM

As I understand it, the formula Wimbledon uses to assess seeding is entirely self imposed. In other words, if the seeding committee were to decide that in this one instance the formula defies common sense as everybody can surely agree that Nadal is a member of the top four players in men's tennis, then they can choose to ignore the formula and seed Nadal fourth. They have the discretion to do this, and I do not believe that even David Ferrer would consider objecting should they choose to do this.

#14 Guest_Kenny Hankinson_*

Guest_Kenny Hankinson_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

I have a strong feeling it will be a Nadal v Murray final this year, obviously agreeing with the Murray 2. & Nadal 5 seeding prediction. Kenny

#15 Guest_Fedthekingfan_*

Guest_Fedthekingfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:36 PM

Is it possible for Federer to not have Nadal and Djokovic in his half at the Wimbledon this year?

#16 Roger Federer Fans

Roger Federer Fans

Site Admin & WebMaster

• Moderators
  • 1,616 posts

Current mood: Inspired

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:11 PM

Is it possible for Federer to not have Nadal and Djokovic in his half at the Wimbledon this year?

yeps, worst case scenario for Federer will be Rafa in the QF, Nole or Murray in the semis.

Subscribe us via -----

E-mail Subscription | Twitter | G Plus | FB |

Read our ---

Disclosure| FAQ

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this site & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time member of RF Fans.

#17 Guest_Bhushan_*

Guest_Bhushan_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:55 PM

so worst case scenario for Federer might be

rafa in QF

murray in SF

djoker in Final

is it ??? :blink:  :(

#18 sausan

sausan

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators
  • 2,305 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:37 PM

Hope that Federer will pass all these players...

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#19 Guest_Writerfan_*

Guest_Writerfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

Wimbledon would be wise to seed Nadal at 4 and Ferrer at 5.

They should do this for the sake of their man (Federer) or their other man (Murray) :D

#20 Guest_John Dykes_*

Guest_John Dykes_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:51 PM

This explanation looked like a classroom lecture to me. I have covered Wimbledon for more than a decade on many television networks, but, have never read such a detailed explanation. Take a bow. Find time to update #6 to #32 seeds & if you can get that right as well, I am sure, that will be a great accomplishment.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wimbledon 2013, mens seedings, wimbledon seedings explained, how does wimbledon seedings work, wimbledon 2013 seedings, wimbledon 2013 mens seedings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+