• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 7 votes

Pics and Video of shirtless protester running on to the court with fire at the French Open 2013 final, Roland Garros

french open 2013 paris 2013 roland garros 2013 protestor court philippe chatrier protestor fire

12 replies to this topic

#1 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,586 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:58 PM

During the 2nd set of the French Open 2013 final between Rafa Nadal and David Ferrer, two people interrupted play by chanting while holding a banner in the upper deck of Court Philippe Chatrier until security led them away. Wide spread protests have been going on in France against the authorization of same sex marriage law but today was the first day when the protesters chose to show their protests at French Open.

banner.jpg

5 minutes after that, a shirtless protester jumped to the court near Nadal as he was about to serve for the second set, leading 5-1. Rafa Nadal and the ball boy initially thought of running to the locker room for safety. But, seconds later two security personnels wrestled the protester to the ground and quickly dragged him away. Another guard stood near Nadal, protecting him while the protester was being wrestled. Nadal also shook the bodyguard's hand before resuming play. The match was delayed and clearly, both the players lost their focus after this incident.

Video of that shameless incident and a clear security lapse ------

Few pics -----

slide_301955_2549116_free.jpg?1370793571

slide_301955_2549115_free.jpg?1370793571

slide_301955_2549114_free.jpg?1370793571

Image credit & Copyrights: Getty Images

Other protesters also brandishing red flares climbed to the top of the adjacent Court Suzanne Lenglen during the Ladies Doubles final and unfurled a banner calling for the resignation of French President Francois Hollande.  "We are protesting against the Taubira law (authorising same-sex marriages) because we fear for the future of our children," one of the four shouted out.

suzzane%20lenglen.jpg

Christophe Fagniez, the tournament's director of operations, later said: "The situation is under control, it's in the hands of the police."

In the 2009 final between Roger Federer & Robin Soderling on 7th June, 2009, a man jumped over the photographer's area and ran on the court, went up to the Swiss player and tried to put a red hat on him. Federer brushed the man aside before security guards got close enough to intervene. After hopping the net, the man was tackled and jailed for questioning.

A male streaker wearing nothing but tennis balls and sneakers ran onto the center court and ran over the net during the 2003 final in which Juan Carlos Ferrero beat Martin Verkerk. Clearly, this is too much nuisance for a Grand slam.

For me, today's event was the most horrible incident ever seen on a Tennis court.

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#2 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:04 PM

Another video -----------------

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#3 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:07 PM

another video ------------

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#4 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:08 PM

Another video in HD --------

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#5 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:21 PM

Another recording of that shameful incident --------

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#6 Guest_Parin_*

Guest_Parin_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:10 AM

I assume this is a call for attention to the same sex marriage in France and what a better way to obtain the attention they require....RG13! It is very pitiful these attitudes during sport events. Although it was mentioned that security was very efficient, I have a question...what in the first place did they manage to enter in the first place?

Parin just joined aka niraperky - Indian and of British and Italian nationality

#7 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationPerched on a Comfy Chair - UK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:13 AM

This was indeed a horrible incident and so downright selfish and thoughtless to crash a finals match like that when you think of all that Rafa Nadal and David Ferrer have invested in their build up to this moment. It is not as if tennis has anything to do with the whole sorry gay marriage debacle.

Full marks to the security at Roland Garros who quickly overwhelmed these bare chested men, one of whom never made it to the court.

At least nobody was injured. Thank goodness. Security surely has been improved since 1993, when Monica Seles was stabbed in the back during a quarterfinal match in Hamburg.

Security personnel and surveillance of the crowd will certainly go a fair way to catch idiots like these in the future, but where you have a mass spectator event there will always be that risk.

Do we really want to see spectators penned back behind fences and full belongings and body searches as members of the public enter Tournaments? As that is the only way to be fairly confident of stopping incidents in the future.

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection personified

#8 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:28 AM

....... Although it was mentioned that security was very efficient, I have a question...what in the first place did they manage to enter in the first place?

No doubt it was easy to enter in the crowd then either unfurl a small banner and shout ... as those did at the top of the seating area in Philippe Chatrier, or strip off and rush the court from their seats. Hand held flares are fairly easy to conceal and quick to ignite using a drawstring.

Till these people made their move they would have looked like anybody else there.

The only way to prevent people like this entering, as I said in my previous post, I believe would be to initiate full belongings and body searches of all spectators and that, you have to admit, is rather time consuming. Perhaps one day there will be a system of scanners at entry points to do this task automatically, even then they cannot pick up on the mindset of the person. Security personnel at events like this have an unenviable task.

#9 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 2,565 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:53 AM

Actually At first, I thought that all these disorders against Nadal... He scared me, I was worried about Nadal, thanks God, it ended without casualties.

But how the protester could enter to the court with that fire stick?  There is no inspection before entering to the courts?!!

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#10 Guest_Parin_*

Guest_Parin_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:10 AM

Protestors looking for attention would go to places and cause havoc. Shame that it should be where sport is taking place.
Parin aka niraperky

#11 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:46 AM

Here is another picture of the protester jumping in to the court -----------

_68069374_flare3.jpg

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#12 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

TBH, I have been to stadiums where there have been 100,000 + people sitting & still every one gets checked twice or thrice before entry. For me, this is really a big error as not only how could these guys get in with these flares, but also, they managed to jump in. If any such thing had happened any where in Asia or Africa, the American or European Media would have been advocating why such a prestigious tournament doesn't deserved to be in such poor security conditions.

Any how, I can only hope, nothing of this happens in future.

& I am not blaming these security guys present on the court side, they did a great job of throwing these protesters out & giving a quick shield to Rafa at the right time.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#13 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

........ If any such thing had happened any where in Asia or Africa, the American or European Media would have been advocating why such a prestigious tournament doesn't deserved to be in such poor security conditions .............

There are certainly a lot of hotheads and crazy people about these days. I sincerely hope that your theory is never put to the test.

The thing with this incident was the element of surprise. These flares are not that big and would have been fairly easy to conceal from a cursory search ... clothing, bag checking without a thorough examination of the all items and the contents of any containers, like thermos flasks for example.

It is nice for the spectators to be sitting fairly close to the court in the front rows, maybe more needs to be done to make it difficult to vault over onto the court.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: french open 2013, paris 2013, roland garros 2013, protestor, court philippe chatrier, protestor fire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+