• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 7 votes

Roger Federer interview to Bild about his future plans, what he plans to do after retirement

Bild.de Roger Federer Bild Federer Roger Roger Federer interview Bild newspaper federer interview translated interview

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sausan

sausan

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 2,935 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:05 AM

The most successful tennis player of all time does not think about quitting. 

Will he win Wimbledon again? Will he be number 1 again? Or are the best times of Roger Federer (31) already in the past? Bild spoke exclusively at the Gerry Weber Open in Halle with the Swiss who is, with his 17 GS titles, the most successful tennis player of all times.

The interview got published in the Bild plus premium edition & was in German & you can read it here.

1017200_551506561559630_1269240071_n.jpg

Here's my translation of the excerpts from the interview ------

Bild: Critics say that you are past your prime?

Roger Federer: What can I say about that? I make sure that this is not the case. It is important to stay calm, to follow your way and to go on working.

Bild: You haven’t won a tournament this year yet.

Federer : It’s true. But the first half of the season was still OK. I didn’t have a series of first round losses. But it hasn’t been super until now either. That’s why 
now I have a lot ahead of me. I expect a lot from myself in the coming months. It starts here in Halle and then I want to be brilliant at Wimbledon.

Bild: Can you become again number 1?

Federer : This is very difficult in the short term, I must be realistic. Maybe next year.

Bild: Nadal just won the Roland Garros for the 8th time. Are you afraid that he might win more GS titles than you?

Roger : No. Then he would have deserved it. The records are not what matters to me. I’m sure that my records will also get broken one day. Who is the 
best in the end, who has the most records is just irrelevant. But people speak about records and these debates are good for tennis.

Bild: You won Wimbledon 7 times. Do you still remember the first time?

Roger : Yes, I do. 10 years ago. It has always been my dream to win Wimbledon. Incredible images and emotions go through my mind when 
I think about it.

Federer+Wimbledon+2003.jpg

Bild: For example?

Roger : I was leading 6-2 in the TB of the 3rd set against the Australian Mark Philippousis. Then I knew: I can’t lose this anymore. Then I played serve and volley on a 2nd serve. He netted the return. I was a Wimbledon champion; I was suddenly on my knees. This was the moment when I could immortalize 
myself in tennis and as a Swiss.

Bild: Have you thought about the end of your career yet?

Roger Federer: Why should you quit only because you have achieved a lot? You don’t quit being a journalist when you still have fun doing it either. I am surprised 
how often I am asked this question.

Bild: Is Tommy Haas, who still plays world class tennis at 35, an inspiration for you?

Roger : To a certain degree, yes. I do hope that I will still feel fine at 35. I do have a lot of experience like Tommy and hope that this together with my talent will help me continue playing at top level for a long time. This season I practiced 6-7 weeks at home.

I haven’t been for such a longtime at home for 12 years. Then I really felt again like travelling with the family on the tour. We enjoyed packing. This was an important moment. It showed me that I am far from being satisfied (literally: ‘full’).

Bild: Did you expect Haas to play so strong again?

Roger : Tommy’s achievements are admirable. It’s just a cliche (myth) that he isn’t so quick and agile anymore. It all depends on your mind how much more you 
want to achieve. It’s nice that there’s somebody on the tour who exemplifies this.

Bild: Are today’s 30-year-olds the earlier 20-year-olds?

Roger : Yes, it is so. Players are fitter today and some who have quit too early regret it. Today many want to squeeze the lemon to the end :). I think this is right.

Bild: You are behind Tiger Woods in the Forbes list of the richest athletes in the world. Is money important to you?

Roger : Not in particular. It’s much more important that you feel happy inside. I am happy that I have a privileged life and thus I can give a lot from what I 
receive to people who don’t have so much.

Bild: What will you do after the end of you career?

Roger : I want to do things in Switzerland and in tennis. My homeland and the sport have given me so much. My foundation is also a long term commitment. The end of my career won’t be a sudden step but rather a smooth transition. In addition I want to play senior tournaments. It won’t be a less busy time for me.

translated by Maria from rf.com - Katrin has typewritten the article ( thanks for the update Katrin! )

Edited by penabaza, 17 June 2013 - 11:09 PM.
translation info update

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#2 Poorna

Poorna

• Moderators-
  • 753 posts
  • LocationIncredible India <3

Current mood: Woot!

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:17 PM

nice one!!! thanks Sausan!!

Posted ImageNo Matter What we will support him always!! My love.... Roger Federer!

#3 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,732 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:21 AM

I think, this is the first time that RF has said about playing senior tournaments :). Though, I really hope, he plays till 2016 Olympics :).

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#4 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,418 posts
  • LocationPerched on a Comfy Chair - UK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:49 AM

Thank you for posting this interview Sausan!

Am so pleased that Roger aims to play "Senior Tennis" after his retirement. I hope for exhibition tours as well which he will post live on his YouTube Channel. That would be a real treat for his fans who will surely miss him badly once he does decide to retire.

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#5 kartnite

kartnite

Roger Federer Fans 1000 Title

• Moderators
  • 118 posts
  • LocationMy Father, Let my country awake!

Current mood: Bookworm

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:29 AM

Shokran, Sausan! :) 

Made for a wonderful read... And yes, I agree with the sentiment. Journalists don't quit writing. Why should this fellow quit? Yes, this year hasn't been his best. It look horrible only because this was the guy who raised the bar for excellence in the first place!

Jeez, get a life boltbrains! 

Ridiculous, to say the least! 

As Basil Fawlty (John Cleese) would say, "It's *disgusting*!"

- I am not what I am. And what I am not, that is precisely what I am.

#6 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 2,935 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:38 AM

Now i got an answer of two questions, that i wonder at recent days..

What will you do after the end of you career?

You haven’t won a tournament this year yet.

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bild.de, Roger Federer, Bild, Federer, Roger, Roger Federer interview, Bild newspaper, federer interview, translated interview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+