• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Everything that you need to know about White clothing rule for players at Wimbledon

wimbledon white clothing rule guideliness aeltc wimbledon rules etiquettes wimbledon etiquette wimbledon clothes rule

21 replies to this topic

#1 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

Hey all,

After yesterday's Round 1 match between Roger Federer and Victor Hanescu, there were rumors going all around that Roger Federer might get a warning because of the color of his shoes. Here are a few pics of the Orange Colored shoes (needs to be added that only the sole of these Nike shoes had Orange color, rest was all white).

AjFrEts.jpg

79ePPHa.jpg

OnLcP5e.jpg

This rumor was sparked off by Simon Reed (sports announcer for Eurosport) as he stated on air that Roger Federer might get a warning or in the worst case, a penalty (monetary) because of the color of the shoes. I need to add here, I personally don't get EuroSport feed here, I got informed about this comment by many of you. Also, it needs to be added, later many friends tweeted that it was just a joke which got taken seriously by many.

So, this sparked off a debate on Twitter, Facebook and Google plus with every one asking details about this dress code for players at Wimbledon?

Wimbledon organizing committee has specified certain Guidelines regarding "prominently white clothing rule" for players at the Wimbledon championships. The following are those guidelines as specified on the Wimbledon official website ----

•     No solid mass of colouring
  •     Little or no dark or bold colours
  •     No fluorescent colours
  •     Preference towards pastel colours
  •     Preference for the back of the shirt to be totally white
  •     Preference for shorts and skirts to be totally white
  •     All other items of clothing, including hats, socks and shoe uppers to be predominantly white.

When did these rules come in to force?

The ‘predominately in white’ rule was introduced in 1963. The ‘almost entirely in white’ rule became valid in 1995. This current rule has been in force since 1995, how ever the Tennis competition at 2012 London Olympics was exempt from this predominantly white colored outfit rule.

The players have to get their outfits approved in advance

Players have to send sample of their Clothing to The AELTC (All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, the private Club that owns Wimbledon Championships) for comments (read approval) at least 90 days in advance before the start of Championships.

ITF Rules for clothing

As you all know, ITF (International Tennis Federation) is the governing body of all Grand slams. We have already discussed the guidelines as stipulated by Wimbledon for the championships, now a closer look at the guidelines issued by ITF for clothing will make things even more simpler for all of us.

The ITF's 2013 OFFICIAL GRAND SLAM RULE BOOK (you can download the rule book from here) explains the clothing, socks, shoes rule in details. How ever, I will only discuss about the ITF rules for Grass court shoes in this post -----

ITF rules for Grass Court Shoes

At Wimbledon no grass courts shoes other than those with rubber soles, without heels, ribs, studs or coverings, shall be worn by players.

Special grass court shoes will not be used without the express approval of the GSC (Grand Slam Committee), such shoes will not be approved unless they comply with the following specifications:

The pimples or studs on the base of the sole shall have maximum top diameter of three (3) millimetres and a minimum top
diameter of two (2) millimetres.

The maximum height of the pimples or studs shall be two (2) millimetres with a maximum of 10 degree angle slope between
the base and the top of the pimple. The durometres shall be between 58 and 63 based on a shore “A” scale. The pimple top diameter compared to its respective pimple density per square inch shall be within the prescribed guidelines.

As an alternative to the above specifications, players may also use the special grass court shoes developed, tested and approved by Wimbledon. These special grass court shoes are available from the GSC (Grand Slam Committee)upon request.

Players desiring approval of special grass court shoes should submit a sample shoe to the GSC at least ninety (90) days in advance of Wimbledon.

(Extract from Page-37 & 38).

Also, the ITF Rulebook on Page-39 states that during the Wimbledon championships Including the warm-up period, players at Wimbledon must be dressed almost entirely in white.

The Tournament Referee to have the final power to determine that the clothing and shoes meet the specified criteria

The Tournament Referee has the authority to determine that a shoe or the clothing does not meet these criteria and may order the player to change. (Extract from Page-38).

Fines in case of Default

Unacceptable Attire and Doubles Team Attire

Violation of the provisions with respect to Unacceptable Attire or Doubles Team Attire shall result in a fine of up to $4,000 (USD). (extract from Page-41).

Three cases where players were asked to change their outfits

In 2012, Radek Stepanek was asked to change his shoes before his 3rd Round match vs Novak Djokovic. In 2012, John Isner was asked to remove his wrist band and Italian Fabio Fognini was asked to cut an inch off the back of his bandana because it was longer than regulations allow.

Are these Orange Colored shoes that Roger Federer had worn yesterday valid as per ITF rules and Wimbledon's guidelines?

OnLcP5e.jpg

As we discussed above, ITF rules are silent about the color of the sole of shoes and Wimbledon in its guidelines states that the shoes uppers need to be predominantly white. So, in my opinion, these Nike RF shoes are 100% valid as per Wimbledon Guidelines.

Update 26-June-2013 05 BST: But, how ever Wimbledon has banned Roger Federer from using these shoes from immediate effect. Scroll down for more updates.

PS: As a matter of courtesy, I have dropped an e-mail to "Nike Tennis" PR Team before publishing this post as the outfit being discussed here is owned by Nike.

On a lighter note, my suggestion to avoid any controversy about clothes at Wimbledon will be to use the white clothes that Tomas Berdych tweeted that he will be using at Wimbledon and here is the picture of that :) ----

white.jpg

Edited by Vibhuism, 26 June 2013 - 09:31 AM.
Update: Wimbledon bans Roger Federer's orange shoes

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

Excellent and accurate article! Nobody will be willing to argue with you!!!! Cheers!

#3 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

Breaking News: As per DailyMail, Roger Federer's orange shoes have been banned from immediate effect and he won't wear these for his 2nd round match.

He will be using these silver colored shoes in today's match

post-25-0-13552400-1363882543_thumb.jpeg

For more pictures of the shoes & his outfit, click here.

Btw, here is the first look of Roger Federer in his new shoes at practice just a few minutes back

BNsHIKMCcAAORck.jpg

Image credit: Joella Campbell

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#4 Guest_Amelia_*

Guest_Amelia_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:57 AM

This is so redicilous its on the sole 4 Pete sake. Go Federer go

#5 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

Well, as I explained in my first post above, Wimbledon it seems haven't read their guidelines, which clearly states that the upper part of the shoes need to be white.

May be, private clubs do not have to follow the guidelines which are in place for long :angry: :angry: , what do you all think, have your say on this issue.

Guest comments are allowed on this topic.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

Will his silver colored shoes still have a grass outsole? 

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:39 AM

This is stupid.. The first time that I've ever seen Wimbledon officials mess up like that. The orange ones were much much better :\

#8 Guest_Will y_*

Guest_Will y_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

Well it did say stuff about not wearing fluorescent colours, but oh well, no fine so all good!! :D, c'mon roger win wimbledon!!! <3

#9 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

Another quick clarification: Informed sources - Team Federer got told about the decision on Tuesday verbally. There is no fine or penalty involved, just Federer won't be wearing these Orange shoes.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#10 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationPerched on a Comfy Chair - UK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

This seems very petty of Wimbledon. This colour is on the soles of his shoes, it's not as if its visibly distracting as he's standing on it for goodness sake!

Thinking of the Rules outlined above .. The preference for shorts and skirts to be totally white

Now this bright orange is far more eye catching!

article-0-1A7FD2A1000005DC-895_634x414.j
Photo: Andy Hooper

Hope Roger can dismiss this daft decision for being what it is .... :rolleyes:

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#11 Guest_wings_*

Guest_wings_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

This seems very petty of Wimbledon. This colour is on the soles of his shoes, it's not as if its visibly distracting as he's standing on it for goodness sake!

Thinking of the Rules outlined above .. The preference for shorts and skirts to be totally white

Now this bright orange is far more eye catching!

eb988018d79e9ec984a15f58a1cd6cf1_zps8142
Photo: Andy Hooper

Hope Roger can dismiss this daft decision for being what it is .... :rolleyes:

Exactly!!!!!!!!   they have to force changing also Serena shorts........    much more VISIBLE, or not?????

#12 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

I repeat again, as per Wimbledon Guidelines ----

Only Shirt, shorts(in case of Men), Skirts (Ladies), Headband/Bandana, Hairband, Shoes (upper part), Socks, wristband need to be all white.....

The guidelines do not apply to any clothes that are worn underneath any of these clothes. So,please lets not drag Serena or any one else in to this controversy :).

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#13 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

Why is this a big deal? He wasn't fined or disqualified. He just needed to change his shoes. Just leave it alone. lol

#14 Guest_Tennis Fan_*

Guest_Tennis Fan_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

You say lets not drag Serena into this but like you say yourself the rules state the shoe (upper) has to be white, so roger shouldn't have been dragged in in the first place either. Should be the same for her, in my opinion the shorts should go.

#15 Guest_Jean Beagan_*

Guest_Jean Beagan_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

Exactly!!!!!!!!   they have to force changing also Serena shorts........    much more VISIBLE, or not?????

If Roger's orange soles are a violation, what about these giant orange shorts??? Give me a break!!!

#16 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

You say lets not drag Serena into this but like you say yourself the rules state the shoe (upper) has to be white, so roger shouldn't have been dragged in in the first place either. Should be the same for her, in my opinion the shorts should go.

Mr Tennis fan, I haven't dragged Roger Federer in to this, its Wimbledon who have done that & I am not connected to them in any way.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#17 Poorna

Poorna

• Moderators-
  • 753 posts
  • LocationIncredible India <3

Current mood: Woot!

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

Many people might be jealous of Roger's greatness , that y they are finding fault with things that are not significant at all..!!! Lets just not make it a big deal.. now  that he changed his shoes.. hopefully it calms them now..!! and as per Vibhu's statement  lets all leave Serena alone! :)

Posted ImageNo Matter What we will support him always!! My love.... Roger Federer!

#18 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 2,810 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:10 AM

Here are Federer's new shoes that he wore in today's match :angry: Bad luck, Bad shoes, Bad decision :( :(

1013379_561137727265909_589304356_n.jpg

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#19 Guest_David_*

Guest_David_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:10 AM

I think it was the correct decision, those orange flourescent was a terrible design by nike

#20 Guest_Tennis Fan_*

Guest_Tennis Fan_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:19 AM

Mr Tennis fan, I haven't dragged Roger Federer in to this, its Wimbledon who have done that & I am not connected to them in any way.

First of all I'm a miss and I'm sorry if I implied that you dragged him into this, that is not what I meant. I know it was wimbledons decision and nothing to do with you. I just feel that if roger had to change his shoes even thought the upper (as it says in the rules) were white I think Serena should have to change the shorts.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wimbledon, white clothing rule, guideliness, aeltc, wimbledon rules, etiquettes, wimbledon etiquette, wimbledon clothes rule

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+