• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Everything that you need to know about White clothing rule for players at Wimbledon

wimbledon white clothing rule guideliness aeltc wimbledon rules etiquettes wimbledon etiquette wimbledon clothes rule

23 replies to this topic

#21 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: Busy

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

First of all I'm a miss and I'm sorry if I implied that you dragged him into this, that is not what I meant. I know it was wimbledons decision and nothing to do with you. I just feel that if roger had to change his shoes even thought the upper (as it says in the rules) were white I think Serena should have to change the shorts.

Okay, sorry for that & apologies for sounding a bit rude. On that day, I got more than 200 messages on twitter, Facebook, Google Plus asking about Serena's shorts & other WTA players. Well, as you can understand, answering the same question so many times, can get a bit frustrating.

ITF rules & Wimbledon guidelines have no objection to the color of undergarments. That's it, discussing any thing beyond this, looks very uncivilized to me.

Look forward to hear more from you :)...

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#22 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:37 PM

An interesting piece on the subject of wearing white at Wimbledon from the London Evening Standard, Thursday 3 July 2014

Tennis star Roger Federer has branded Wimbledon's all white dress code "too strict" after it was revealed that officials have ordered players to change underwear they consider to be too colourful.

The seven-time champion called on the All England Club to "loosen up the grip" on a rule that has been strictly enforced this year, leading to accusations of players even having their underwear checked before matches.

Earlier this week former women's world number one Caroline Wozniacki criticised potential underwear checks as "pretty creepy".

Players have been forcefully reminded of the tournament's 10-point clothing and equipment policy. The rules call for "suitable tennis attire that is almost entirely white".

Speaking after his quarter-final victory over Swiss compatriot Stan Wawrinka last night, Federer commented: "We're all white. White, white, full-on white. I think it's very strict.

"My personal opinion, I think it's too strict. If you look at the pictures of Edberg, Becker, there was some colours, you know, but it was 'all white'."

27a0b143527f4ab4ad253ce774f0dab5.jpg

33030706.jpg

He continued: "But I respect. I understand. Maybe one day they'll loosen up the grip again a bit, but that's the time we go through right now."

The tightened-up rules were slammed as "ridiculous" by former Wimbledon champion Pat Cash, who pulled out of the tournament in protest at them.

The 1987 winner, famed for his trademark black and white headband, claimed players have been asked to change their underwear - including women's bras that were not entirely white.

Here's a picture of Pat Cash at Wimbledon, dating from June 1988

K21BF00Z.jpg

Not forgetting, of course, Serena Williams' outfit for 2013, which passed without sanction, whereas Roger was pulled up over the orange soles to his shoes :rolleyes:

wimbledon2-articleLarge.jpg

It seems that things have been really tightened up this year, with rules even applying to underwear!

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#23 Guest_Valerie_*

Guest_Valerie_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2015 - 07:37 AM

What are the rules on advertising on outer clothing?  I see Brown has a last minute.com ad, but most of the other players dont have any advertising, except the brand of clothing.  Is there specific guidance on this?

#24 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:54 PM

Interesting question Valerie. Vibhu would be the one to know the definitive answer to this, I can only guess.

Rules for players in 2015 are very strict and this is what is listed on the Wimbledon website ....

The following refers to all clothing, including tracksuits and sweaters, worn on The Championship courts both for practice and for matches.

1) Competitors must be dressed in suitable tennis attire that is almost entirely white and this applies from the point at which the player enters the court surround.

2) White does not include off white or cream.

3) There should be no solid mass or panel of colouring. A single trim of colour around the neckline and around the cuff of the sleeve is acceptable but must be no wider than one centimetre (10mm).

4) Colour contained within patterns will be measured as if it is a solid mass of colour and should be within the one centimetre (10mm) guide. Logos formed by variations of material or patterns are not acceptable.

5) The back of a shirt, dress, tracksuit top or sweater must be totally white.

6) Shorts, skirts and tracksuit bottoms must be totally white except for a single trim of colour down the outside seam no wider than one centimetre (10mm).

7) Caps, headbands, bandanas, wristbands and socks must be totally white except for a single trim of colour no wider than one centimetre (10mm).

8) Shoes must be almost entirely white, including the soles. Large manufacturers’ logos are not encouraged. The grass court shoes must adhere to the Grand Slam rules (see Appendix A below for full details). In particular shoes with pimples around the outside of the toes shall not be permitted. The foxing around the toes must be smooth.

9) Any undergarments that either are or can be visible during play (including due to perspiration) must also be completely white except for a single trim of colour no wider than one centimetre (10mm). In addition, common standards of decency are required at all times.

10) Medical supports and equipment should be white if possible but may be coloured if absolutely necessary.

A more relaxed dress code operates at the Aorangi Park practice courts.

As far as advertising is concerned I have only found it with regards to spectators ....

One of the Club's key objectives is to enhance the unique character and image of The Championships by keeping our courts and grounds relatively free of commercial sponsorship and product placement, hence the lack of overt advertising around the Grounds.
Protecting the Wimbledon brand

This helps to give the event and the Wimbledon brand a special resonance that TV and commercial companies around the world wish to be associated with, and enables the Club to derive revenue which goes towards the funding of The Championships and British tennis.

Over the years, however, there has been a sharp increase in the amount of free unauthorised commercial advertising material, which is distributed to the Wimbledon queue and ticket holders in order to obtain free advertising in our grounds or on television.

This practice is known as 'ambush marketing' and often consists of free sun hats, free rain capes, free umbrellas, free suntan creams, free radios, free water bottles, etc., all bearing heavily branded commercial messages. It is an issue on which the Olympics, the Masters Golf at Augusta and many international sporting events have had to take a firm stance by confiscating such branded items at entry point.

We feel a similar approach is justified and will either temporarily confiscate those items which we know or have reason to believe are part of an ambush marketing campaign, or refuse entry to spectators who are not prepared to surrender such items. Spectators are perfectly entitled to leave them at Left Luggage and collect them at the end of the day should they wish to.

We do, however, have no issue with spectators who bring their own branded food and beverage into the Grounds, for example, items which have been purchased from normal retail outlets. Similarly, branded clothing purchased for normal personal use, with no obvious 'ambush' potential, is entirely acceptable.

Equally, we do our best to make sure that our security staff are fully conversant with the issue and are able to apply the policy with tact, common sense and good judgement.

The advertising patches worn on players clothes is associated with their sponsorship deals, so I guess this would be exempt so long as it is not of an excessive size or a patch of bright colour ;)

Hope this helps.

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wimbledon, white clothing rule, guideliness, aeltc, wimbledon rules, etiquettes, wimbledon etiquette, wimbledon clothes rule

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+