#1 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,586 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

Roger Federer tweeted a few minutes back confirming that he will be playing at Crédit Agricole Suisse Open, Gstaad or as it is popularly & historically known as, Swiss Open. This year the tournament will be completing 98 years since the first edition of the Swiss Open was held in 1915. Gstaad is situated in south-western Switzerland, near the border with France. Its an ATP-250 tournament where in the winner gets 250 ATP points.

gstaad.jpg

Federer stated, "I'm looking forward playing in Switzerland in front of my fans and to participate once again in the tournament that offered me my first wild card on the ATP World Tour when I was only 16 year old."

The start date of this year's Crédit Agricole Suisse Open, Gstaad is 22nd July, 2013 & the tournament is played on outdoor Red clay. This year, Stan Wawrinka, Janko Tipsarevic, Benoit Paire, Jeremy Chardy, Juan Monaco, Mikhail Youzhny are the other Top-30 players are in the starting list for Gstaad. The tournament organizers also confirmed the news about Roger Federer participating in this year's tournament.

The Swiss Maestro had last played at Gstaad in 2004 when he won the title defeating Igor Andreev. Roger Federer was presented with a cow during a homecoming celebration in 2003 at Gstaad after winning his first Wimbledon title. Federer fell in the final that year to Jiri Novak.

julietttttttt.jpeg

Picture of Roger Federer being presented with the cow named Juliet at Gstaad in 2003

After Roger Federer's 2nd Round loss at Wimbledon 2013 to Sergiy Stakhovsky, rumors have been going around that he will be adding another tournament to his 2013 schedule.

There are talks going around that Roger Federer might even play at Stockholm Open in October, 2013, but the chances of that seems unlikely as during the month of October, Roger Federer is scheduled to play at Shanghai Masters, Swiss Indoors Basel & Paris Masters, Bercy.

My Opinion:

Roger Federer after Wimbledon will be ranked outside Top-4 for the first time in a decade & in the Race to London, 2013 rankings the Swiss Maestro will fall down to #6 (behind Berdych) after Wimbledon. So, a tournament win at Gstaad will not only help him to gain some vital points but also give him confidence going in to the Hard Court season starting with the Rogers Cup at Montreal from 5th August, 2013.

Update: On 3rd July, 2013, Roger Federer tweeted "I am also looking forward to competing in Hamburg (an ATP-500 TOURNAMENT) this summer. I always did very well at Rothenbaum, played some fantastic matches and celebrated important victories there - great memories!"

For a detailed write-up on how the ATP Rankings will change post Wimbledon 2013, click here.

Edited by Vibhu batra, 04 July 2013 - 01:27 AM.

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#2 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

For Roger Federer's 2013 Tennis calendar/schedule, click here.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#3 Guest_Saba_*

Guest_Saba_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:54 PM

A question that might seem unrelated, but why are so many tournaments played on clay in july? 

#4 Guest_ARIJEET SEN_*

Guest_ARIJEET SEN_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:17 AM

I hope i am wrong . i have a feeling that he might announce his retirement before his home crowd in Gstaad. Though federer's press conference after his defeat was my only positive for this years wimbledon where he metioned he wanted to play for many more years , i didnt like the way mirka and other family members looked after the loss in 2nd round. i sincerely hope i am wrong on this as i want to see federer playing way beyond the RIO OLYMPICS 2016. 

#5 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:24 AM

A question that might seem unrelated, but why are so many tournaments played on clay in july? 

Good question that, A quick look-up at 2013 ATP Calendar shows that there are 6 tournaments on clay, 1 on Grass & 3 on hard. July is the last month of Clay court season & as you know, the Clay court season starts with Chile Open in February. Now, coming back to the main question, as to why, well the answer is that its been like this for quite some time now & I don't see it changing in the near future.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#6 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:26 AM

I hope i am wrong . i have a feeling that he might announce his retirement before his home crowd in Gstaad. Though federer's press conference after his defeat was my only positive for this years wimbledon where he metioned he wanted to play for many more years , i didnt like the way mirka and other family members looked after the loss in 2nd round. i sincerely hope i am wrong on this as i want to see federer playing way beyond the RIO OLYMPICS 2016. 

The Sun might start rising from West & setting from East, I might win a slam or two, but (note it down), Roger Federer isn't going to retire so soon :).

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#7 Inez

Inez

Featured Columnist

• Moderators-
  • 395 posts
  • LocationBarcelona, Spain

Current mood: Cool

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:41 AM

In the last 5 odd hours, many people have asked from me, why is Roger Federer playing at Gstaad in 2013 July? Is it because of points or some practice or some confidence or for some other reason?

Well, according to me, he is playing for his fans and for the love of playing in his beloved country. Clearly, Roger Federer was hurt after all those Basel & Davis Cup issues & how the Swiss media made a heavy weather of all that and as he has a lot of free time in July, so he has decided to play in Gstaad for the love of his fans especially the local ones.

That's what makes the man so much loved through out the globe. Vamos Roger :)....

I am available on -----

Twitter | G Plus | FB | Read my posts via E-mail Subscription

#8 Anna

Anna

Featured Columnist

• Moderators-
  • 469 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Current mood: Fine

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:59 AM

This is clearly the first time that Roger has lost early at Wimbledon after almost 11 years, so, I fail to understand why people are raising unnecessary questions about his decision to accept the wild card at Gstaad?
Follow my posts on--

Twitter | Google Plus | Facebook | My posts via E-mail

#9 Guest_ARIJEET SEN_*

Guest_ARIJEET SEN_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:17 AM

ARIJEET SEN, on 03 Jul 2013 - 12:17 AM, said:snapback.png

The Sun might start rising from West & setting from East, I might win a slam or two, but (note it down), Roger Federer isn't going to retire so soon  :).

@ vibhu
Thanks buddy . i was expecting someone to dismiss my fears of Roger retiring. and i am glad that you did it so emphatically . 

#10 Guest_Joey Hanf_*

Guest_Joey Hanf_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

Rumors are going around that he may be trying out new strings or maybe even a slightly different racket? Have you heard anything?

#11 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,222 posts
  • LocationIncredible India & Tennis world Traveller.

Current mood: Sporty

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

Rumors are going around that he may be trying out new strings or maybe even a slightly different racket? Have you heard anything?

Not at all. I'm sure, he will play with the same racket. I will be surprised if any new racquet is used at Gstaad.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#12 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationPerched on a Comfy Chair - UK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

What a wonderful setting for a tennis tournament!  I can well understand Roger wanting to return here after that gut wrenching loss at Wimbledon.  The clear air and mountains will surely refresh him and, together with his announcement of playing Hamburg too, give him the additional work out he needs having missed the second week at Wimbledon in the run up to the US Open.

I have some qualms about the nostalgia in his repeated reference to bringing back memories, but maybe he sees an opportunity to add some ranking points.  We shall see.

Personally I would be surprised if Roger hangs up his racquet any time soon.  It was not as if his loss at Wimbledon was a walk over. It was a very tight match.  He needs to clear his head and believe that he can close out these crunch points .... maybe the Swiss mountain air is just what he needs to get this into focus.

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection personified

#13 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 2,565 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:20 PM

Yap, Federer announced "I am also looking forward to competing in Hamburg this summer. I always did very well at Rothenbaum, played some fantastic matches and celebrated important victories there - great memories!"

http://bet-at-home-open.com/en/

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#14 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,222 posts
  • LocationIncredible India & Tennis world Traveller.

Current mood: Sporty

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:24 AM

A quick look-up on Roger Federer' schedule for the next 2 months -----

(i) Hamburg- 15th July, 2013 to 21st July, 2013

(ii) Gstaad- 22nd July, 2013 to 29th July, 2013.

(iii) Rogers Cup, Montreal- 5th August, 2013 to 11th August, 2013

(iv) Cincinnati Masters- 12th August, 2013 to 19th August, 2013

(v) US Open - 26th August, 2013 to 10th September, 2013.

If Roger Federer reaches finals of all these 5 tournaments, that would mean 6 weeks of Tennis in 8 weeks starting 15th July, 2013 to 10th September, 2013. I really got shell-shocked after the announcement came about his decision to play at Hamburg :(.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#15 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationPerched on a Comfy Chair - UK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:36 AM

Goodness looking at the dates like that, it is quite a punishing schedule ahead for Roger in the next two months .....

Lets hope he achieves something to really make him and his fans smile at the end of it all ..... :)

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection personified

#16 Guest_ARIJEET SEN_*

Guest_ARIJEET SEN_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:01 AM

Not at all. I'm sure, he will play with the same racket. I will be surprised if any new racquet is used at Gstaad.

A quick look-up on Roger Federer' schedule for the next 2 months -----

(i) Hamburg- 15th July, 2013 to 21st July, 2013

(ii) Gstaad- 22nd July, 2013 to 29th July, 2013.

(iii) Rogers Cup, Montreal- 5th August, 2013 to 11th August, 2013

(iv) Cincinnati Masters- 12th August, 2013 to 19th August, 2013

(v) US Open - 26th August, 2013 to 10th September, 2013.

If Roger Federer reaches finals of all these 5 tournaments, that would mean 6 weeks of Tennis in 8 weeks starting 15th July, 2013 to 10th September, 2013. I really got shell-shocked after the announcement came about his decision to play at Hamburg :(.

Well well well . This is great news . When roger announced he is going to play Gstaad , i was a bit skeptical  a bit negative. But certainly after the inclusion of hamburg ,it tells me a lot of things are going in the right direction. It tells you the mindset of Roger . He is positive proactive and hungry to get back to his best. Honestly i don't think now he is only playing in these tournaments to get ranking points but i am sure he is going to try out something new before the hard court season starts. It may be a new racquet or working on his serve , forehand ,backhand slice or may be even trying a double fisted backhand (who knows) but whatever it may be it shows his positive intent. Honestly i feel this loss at wimby will make Roger a better player. I don't know if the tournament directors of Gstaad and Hamburg have sent Stakhovsky a grand paycheck , but i want to say thanks stakhovsky from the bottom of my heart for the reasons i just stated above. The Champ will be back big time.

#17 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 2,565 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:45 AM

Here is the official list of players participating in the Crédit Agricole Suisse Open Gstaad 2013, which will take place from July 20th to 28th

1.Roger Federer
2.Stanislas Wawrinka
3.Janko Tipsarevic
4.Juan Monaco
5.Benoît Paire
6. Jeremy Chardy
7.Mikhail Youzhny

8.Lukas Rosol
9.Nikolay Davydenko
10.Feliciano Lopez

11.Thomaz Bellucci
12.Victor Hanescu
13.Paul-Henri Mathieu
14.Guillermo Garcia-Lopez                                
15.Marcel Granollers
16.Victor Hanescu
17.Pablo Andujar

18.Robin Haase                                               
19.Daniel Brands                                     
20.Robert Bautista-Agut                                                                                     
21.Daniel Gimeno-Traver
22.Andrey Kuznetsov

The name of the three last players who will benefit of a Wild Card will be announced shortly before the beginning of the tournament.

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+