• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 7 votes

Match Report, Pics, Video Highlights of Rafa Nadal vs Roger Federer, Cincinnati Masters 2013

roger federer rafa nadal fedal fedal 31 cincy tennis cincy 2013

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,380 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: Alienated

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:04 AM

Rafa Nadal overcame a resurgent Roger Federer 5-7, 6-4, 6-3 in 2 hours & 13 minutes to secure his first ever win over a Top 10 opponent at Cincinnati to book his place in the semi-final where he will play Tomas Berdych on Saturday.

Roger+Federer+Western+Southern+Open+Day+

Pic of Rafa Nadal & Roger Federer shaking hands at the net as Roger said, Good luck to Rafa for the weekend

1st set

Rafa Nadal faced a break point in the 3rd game of the opening set, but managed to save it. Apart from that, there were no other break points & the first 10 games went on service.

The Swiss maestro looked to be in great form & served majestically well. Nadal on the other hand looked a bit defensive in the first set.

Federer got another break point in the 11th game & broke Nadal's service to get to a 6-5 lead & then, Federer served out the set 7-5 in 48 minutes much to the delight of the local crowd that looked pro Federer.

Here are the first set stats

BR1DeaXCYAAmXAp.png

2nd set

The World No. 3 Spaniard who will get to #2 ranking if he wins the Cincinnati title started much more aggressively in the 2nd set. Nadal had 2 break points in the 4th game, but Federer managed to save those to make it 2-all.

The next 5 games went on service as Federer's tactic of coming to the net more often was giving high dividends. But, in the 10th game on Federer's service, Rafa Nadal played the game of the match & broke Federer's service on his 2nd break point to win the set 6-4 in 44 minutes & levelled the match 1-set all.

Here are the 2nd set stats

BR1Ni_BCcAA798L.png

Rafa Nadal served brilliantly in the 2nd set & didn't face a single break point

3rd set

The Spaniard continued the momentum from the 2nd set & broke Federer's service in the 2nd game of the 3rd set to get to a 2-0 lead. Rafa Nadal's service once again in this set was flawless & he didn't face a single break point. The Spaniard was able to put consistent pressure on Federer's service, but the Swiss managed to hold his service in spite of 3 break points in the 6th game.

Rafa Nadal kept his cool under some great shot making by Federer in the 9th game as Federer saved three match points to level it to duece, how ever, Rafa Nadal served out the match 4 points later as a forehand which hawkeye later showed was out wasn't challenged by Federer. As, Federer later said, it doesn't matter as now the match is over.

This was Rafa Nadal's 21st win over Roger Federer in 31 matches and the end score-line read 5-7, 6-4, 6-3.

Here are the full match stats :::

BR1W93XCUAEKP7Q.png

This is the 3rd time that Rafa Nadal has reached the semi-finals at Cincinnati in his 9th appearance & will face Tomas Berdych on Saturday. Berdych defeated Andy Murray while John Isner defeated the World No. 1 Novak Djokovic & will face Del Potro in the other semi-final.

"I'm happy with my progress along the way," Federer said. "Could have won tonight, should have won tonight, who knows? But at the end, I think Rafa's confidence and the way he's playing at the moment got him through. So for me, I think it was a good step in the right direction."

Mean while, Roger Federer will fall to #7 in the ATP Rankings on Monday while Rafa Nadal will get up to #2 if he wins the Cincinnati title.

Scroll down for more pics, videos, interview quotes and match recording.

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#2 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:09 AM

Roger Federer's press conference after the match -----

Federer stated that being in the Top 8 is important from a ranking point of view.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#3 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

full match recording

Part-1

Part-2

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#4 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:14 AM

match highlights HD----------

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#5 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

SOME PICS from the match -------------

Rafael+Nadal+Western+Southern+Open+Day+6

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#6 Guest_pfrancohemraj@yahoo.com_*

Guest_pfrancohemraj@yahoo.com_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

Wonderful videos & pictures. RF could have done it, but again it is his confidence. Might over matter. Hope this does not have too much of a negative upset for US. Believe in you and you can do it.

#7 sausan

sausan

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators
  • 2,301 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

More pics 

970675_584220614957620_1635856727_n.jpg

1094827_584220604957621_1820811694_n.jpg

999729_584220644957617_1675229156_n.jpg

1173866_584220434957638_1323423746_n.jpg

535867_584220451624303_979381409_n.jpg

561545_584220478290967_933933868_n.jpg

1170731_584220328290982_175301007_n.jpg

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#8 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators
  • 942 posts
  • LocationPerched on a Comfy Chair - UK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

Despite the eventual loss to an inspired Rafa, I think Roger should feel encouraged by his performance there. He showed great improvement over his efforts the previous day against Tommy Haas. His body language was more positive and focused too. He came out there with the bit between his teeth ready to go :)

1185679_578644022179217_1643839834_n.jpg

What cheered me was he seemed to be finding his range at long last and made some incredible shots to the lines and his service was also better. Though that did dip a bit after the first set and there were still rather too many unforced errors. But all in all it was an encouraging performance in the lead up to the US Open.

He now has time to work on his weaknesses and I really hope he feels more confident in himself too.

2012-07-08Wimbledon17thGrandSlam-02Avata .... peRFection

#9 ARIJEET SEN

ARIJEET SEN

Roger Federer Fans 250 Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNew Delhi India

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

Great match. Wonderful tennis from both the players. I think this match resulted in more positives to federer than negatives even though he lost . He reminded us all that what vintage tennis RF can play . Wonderful angles ,great lobs ,superb inside out forehands ,rocket backhands ,crisp volleys there was all from the Great RF. the only thing i would have want to see more was probably the dropshots , some slice backhands to mix up the play a little. But as i have said before for federer to win more matches he has to play two shots more regularly. The forehand and backhand down the line (or up the line whatever youmight call it) .The forehand down the line will cause more damage . Somehow I feel Federer is more relying on the angled crosscourt forehand which though is a much safer shot dosent cause as much damage as the forehand down the line. I think he must work on it.Anyways good positive steps towards regaining the glory. I also just want to say that he should sack Annacone irrespective of the result of US open. Nothing personal against annacone i think he is not adding anything to rogers game now. I think Peter lundgren can help roger get his game and confidence back.

All said and done great game Rogi and I just want you to remember that you are and will be the best ever always . Your fans will always be with you and your fans outnumber any other because there are more theist in the world than atheist. And roger is their God.

Keep healthy keep smiling keep working hard. Success will follow. All the best for the US open .

#10 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators
  • 942 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:13 PM

And here's a Federer cross court backhand "Hot Shot" from the first set ...

#11 Poorna

Poorna

• Moderators-
  • 744 posts
  • LocationIncredible India <3

Current mood: Woot!

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

Glad to know that Roger played well..!! :)

Posted ImageNo Matter What we will support him always!! My love.... Roger Federer!

#12 Guest_Rita_*

Guest_Rita_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:21 PM

Fantastic match, and how good it was to see Roger back in form (though still far too many unforced errors) and obviously gaining in confidence.  Looking at tweets, in spite of losing Roger seems to have received more praise than Rafa.  Mostly for his courage and perseverence, and for providing us with the sort of classic tennis we don't see much of when he's not around.  It's Roger who provides the spark - otherwise Rafa's matches with other players would be just as scintillating as this one - and they are not.

I tend to agree about the coach.  A change wouldn't be a bad idea from my perspective, but then we don't know what sort of mental stability AP provides. 

All in all, fantastic, just fantastic to see Roger back to almost top form, confident and fighting hard, not giving in, especially at the end.  Rafa didn't have the edge last night - he had the luck!

I'm really, really looking forward to the US Open!

#13 Yami

Yami

• Moderators
  • 586 posts
  • LocationNew Delhi,India

Current mood: Fine

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:47 PM

He played well and proved he still has all his talent left in him.

Taking positives for USO.

Good luck Rogi 

For latest updates on tennis ,you can follow me on -------

Twitter / Facebook / Google Plus / My posts via E-mail Subscription

#14 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators
  • 942 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:28 PM

Personally I would not support the idea of changing coach in a cold cut just like that.  If Roger has a good rapport with Paul Annacone, as it appears he has, to just drop him like that would not be good.  Roger has already said that he has a large team compared to other players, so my thoughts would be to enhance that team.  After all if people get on and are happy with the way they work together that has to be a bonus.

1119926_578610618849224_1820355299_o.jpg

#15 ARIJEET SEN

ARIJEET SEN

Roger Federer Fans 250 Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNew Delhi India

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:17 PM

@ wendy-robin : I tend to disagree with you on that change of coach topic . Too many men and too many opinion can get you confused at times. . I agree that paul annacone and Rf share a great rapport but i thing coaching demands a lot more than that even at the highest professional level also. . I feel annacone has made roger hit his backhand return more agressive and has improved rogers net play. But tactically speaking i dont think he has added much to rogers game . Tactically meaning is analysing the opponents game and play accordingly. For instance against rafa i feel that you should try and place your returns to rafas deep in rafas backhand wherever possible. You shouldalso employ dropshots more as possible because if you can get rafa at the net thats unfamiliar territory for him . Even then if he can hit a winner then welland good just appreciate that you were too good on the day. But you have to bring your opponents come out of their comfort zones.

Also i feel annacone hasnt worked on rogers footwork.previously when roger used to run around his backhand to hit a forehand he has a lot of time to do so . Now in doing the same thing he gets cramped for room gets hurried and plays the ball short.
Positioning also needs to be changed according to opponents. For instance against Berdych i think berdych gets good lengths on rogers shot. It is not possible to stand on the baseline and make half volleys after half volleys. It is better to stand a couple of steps behind the baseline to play such kind of shots.

So for any change you need to have someone at the helm who you have a good rapport with and also he should have is say in the conversation and not just be a yes man kind of thing.

Yeah annacone is a good coach and also has great names in his coaching cv( sampras and henman for example) . But you also need to give results at that level. If i am not getting good results consistently i will have to change somewhere. And the coach is someone who is answerable if you are not geeting results. Maria sharapova fired connors after just one match. I am not telling roger to be that insane but he shall be open to changing coaches. And at this point of time there is no one better to coach him than peter lundgren.

Lastly my apologies to all if i have gone a little overboard in explaining the tactical game my veiwpoint. I havent played tennis at any level and certainly roger knows what he is doing. Also there are many more learned men in this forum who certainly have a better idea about the sport than I do. This is completely my own personal veiwpoint. I will like to know what others think about this.

#16 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators
  • 942 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:15 PM

I take your points Arijeet Sen, but you also have to realise that Roger is the chap out there doing the work, getting his feet around to make those shots. As with everybody, whoever they may be, time puts a breaker on things and Roger no doubt finds the ability to rapidly move around court that bit harder these days and there is nothing any coach can say or do about that. Its part of getting older.

The important thing for him now, in my humble opinion, is to have team around him that gels and that is positive and on the button when it comes to analysing potential opponents. We do not know what goes on behind the scenes. I have confidence in Roger that he will make the right decisions.

It would be a disaster to bring in somebody new who clashed with the Federer team.

There is only one man out there on court who makes the final decision about what shot to play and that is Roger. It has to be instinctive ... a rapid reaction to the situation he finds himself in and in the seconds he has in that pressured environment it cannot be easy to always make the right choice.

#17 sausan

sausan

• Moderators
  • 2,301 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:33 PM

Roger Federer in Manhattan ...

539699_579411288769157_265079679_n.jpg

1186992_579574202086199_172879628_n.jpg

1185115_579574268752859_1257950632_n.jpg

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+