• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 9 votes

Has Wojtek Fibak joined the coaching team of Novak Djokovic?

Wojciech Fibak novak djokovic team djokovic Marta Domachowska fibak wojtek fibak marian vajda Miljan Amanovic wojciech fibak

4 replies to this topic

#1 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,405 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: Scared

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:30 AM

Johan Kriek, a former 2 time Australian Open Champion (who won the Australian Open singles title in 1981 & 1982) who is at US Open site in New York today tweeted  that Wojtek Fibak (a former Polish Top 10 player) has joined the coaching team of World No. 1 Novak Djokovic.

djoko.jpeg

Picture of the accredited identity card issued to Wojtek Fibak by US Open

A closer look at the I-card issued to Wojtek Fibak states that Fibak is now a part of Novak Djokovic's coaching staff or at least, the US Open accreditation in favor of Fibak has been made stating that he is part of Novak Djokovic's coaching team.

Who exactly is Wojtek Fibak?

220px-Wojciech_Fibak_by_Slawek.jpg

Wojtek Fibak aged 61 is a former Top-10 singles Tennis player from Poland. Fibak won the Australian Open doubles championship in 1978. He is widely considered as the pioneer of Polish Tennis & the person who made Tennis famous in Poland.

Wojtek Fibak also coached Ivan Lendl for five years & is widely considered to have played the sheet anchor role in transforming the career of Lendl. Lendl in his book "Power Tennis" had stated that he copied Fibak's "rolling" backhand when he finally added an attacking topspin shot to his defensive slice.

In late 1980s, Fibak had worked with former World No. 5 French Man Henri Leconte.

In 2006, Fibak had coached the Polish WTA player Marta Domachowska for some time.

Currently, Wojtek Fibak resides in Monaco & does a bit of commentary during Monte Carlo Rolex Masters (an ATP-1000 tournament) in April.

His current interests include art & painting collection & according to his profile on ATP's web-site, he owns the largest collection of Polish master paintings outside of Poland.

Current Coaching Staff of Novak Djokovic

Novak Djokovic's head coach since June, 2006 is Marian Vajda.

vajda.jpg

File Picture of Novak Djokovic (left) lifting his coach Marian Vajda with the physio Amanovic on the right

Miljan Amanovic – Physiotherapist

Considered as the most professional person ever yet one of the best friends of Novak Djokovic

339.jpg

File Picture of coach Marian Vajda (left), Novak Djokovic (center), Miljan Amanovic (right) taken at Basel

Gebhard Phil-Gritsch (Fitness Coach/Physical Trainer)

The Austrian (who in the past had also worked with Thomas Muster) has been a part of Team Djokovic since April, 2009.

25ur5f7.jpg

File Picture of Novak Djokovic with Gebhard Phil-Gritsch

Dusan Vemic - Hitting partner (Now, no longer associated with Novak Djokovic)

Dusan Vemic joined Team Djokovic in January, 2012 but as reported by Serbian Media on 22nd August, 2013 & as confirmed by Djokovic's PR team, Djokovic and Dusan Vemic have parted ways. Dusan Vemic had also acted as Djokovic's head coach at Rogers Cup, Montreal and Cincinnati Masters 2013 as Marian Vajda was busy with some personal work.

107659049_novak_67_303023c.jpg

The Famous five, picture of Team Djokovic from Left: Dusan Vemic (now no longer associated with Djokovic), Novak Djokovic, Gebhard Phil-Gritsch, Miljan Amanovic, Marian Vajda.

Does Novak Djokovic need the services of Wojtek Fibak?

Novak Djokovic in the past had worked with Mark Woodforde and Todd Martin to work on his net game & serve respectively. Though, having multiple coaches can be bit confusing at times.

Also, it needs to be added that in the last 7 years, Fibak hasn't been part of any Tennis coaching program or player. In spite of this, Wojtek Fibak's prior experience in coaching can add good value to Novak Djokovic's game and overall strategy formulation. Though, at this point of time, its hard to comment if Fibak has been appointed only as a consultant for US Open.

Mean while, some Polish tennis journalists called the appointment of Fibak as a rumor while some others described the receiving of identification accreditation (by using his friendship with Novak Djokovic) as Fibak's ploy to access players parties & enjoy US Open action free of cost describing him as an arrogant party animal.

PS: Before publishing this article, I have written to the media team of Novak Djokovic to clarify whether Fibak has been appointed by them. Their response is awaited. Will update their response as soon as I receive any reply from them.

Special thanks to Karolina for all the inputs.

Update: I received a confirmation from Novak Djokovic's PR team that Wojtek Fibak will be assisting Marian Vajda during US Open.

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#2 Inez

Inez

Featured Columnist

• Moderators-
  • 395 posts
  • LocationBarcelona, Spain

Current mood: Cool

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:02 AM

Interesting & well researched piece on Team Djokovic. Though, I know, how controversial Wojtek Fibak is, but, I dont think, Novak will keep him in the team just to give him a free ticket to US Open parties and sight seeing. I am sure, we will soon see a press release from Djokovic camp about his appointment.
I am available on -----

Twitter | G Plus | FB | Read my posts via E-mail Subscription

#3 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,405 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: Scared

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:02 AM

Update: I received a confirmation from Novak Djokovic's PR team that Wojtek Fibak will be assisting Marian Vajda on tactical issues during US Open.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#4 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationIncredible India & Tennis world Traveller.

Current mood: Sporty

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:39 AM

Novak Djokovic said bringing Fibak as a coaching consultant was a team decision as they felt they needed an extra input of feedback & strategic formulation & that can be provided by an experienced consultant like Fibak.

Novak further added that he is interested in using Fibak's experience/knowledge of the sport.

Also, Djokovic said in his press conference that Fibak's appointment is on a trial basis to see how he fits in to the team.

Djokovic further added, Fibak was a great player & coached the great Ivan Lendl, has extensive experience & passion for the sport. I want to learn from him & I believe he will add a lot of value with his vision of the game.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#5 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationIncredible India & Tennis world Traveller.

Current mood: Sporty

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

Team Djokovic later confirmed that Fibak's appointment was just a trial for US Open & they haven't extended his tenure post us open.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wojciech Fibak, novak djokovic, team djokovic, Marta Domachowska, fibak, wojtek fibak, marian vajda, Miljan Amanovic, wojciech fibak

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+