• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Match Report, Pics, Video Highlights of Roger Federer vs Grega Zemlja, US Open 2013

us open 2013 new york 2013 roger federer zemlja grega zemlja

19 replies to this topic

#1 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:14 AM

Roger Federer cruised in to 2nd Round of US Open with a comfortable victory over Grega Zemlja 6-3, 6-2, 7-5 in 1 hour & 33 minutes.

1157388_516799198400423_1132261911_n.jpg

Roger Federer's day outfit of US Open 2013 reminded of his outfit of US Open, 2007

1st set

Zemlja looked very nervous in the first three games of the 1st set. Federer had 2 break points in the 2nd game, but couldn't convert. Roger Federer's service was looking flawless & his movement too was looking sharp.

Roger Federer broke Zemlja's service in the 8th game & then easily served out the set 6-3 in 25 minutes.

Here are the first set stats

4vf3.png

2nd set

Federer broke Zemlja's service in the very 1st game of the 2nd set & looked even more sharp in the 2nd set. Federer's service was flawless through out the set.

Zemlja again got broken in the 7th game after he double faulted to give Federer a 5-2 lead, Federer then served out the set 6-2 in 23 minutes.

Here are the 2nd set stats

no9t.png

3rd set

Roger Federer broke Zemlja's service in the 7th game to get to a 4-3 lead.

The funniest moment of the match came in the 8th game when a linesman missed an out call & the chair umpire shouted out, Roger Federer asked the linesman, "What are you looking at?''

Roger Federer looked in a slight hurry & missed a couple of easy shots as his service got broken in the 8th game & the set was back on serve at 4-all.

But, Federer gained back his composure & again broke Zemlja's service in the 11th game with a crosscourt forehand. Federer then served out the set & the match in the very next game winning the set 7-5 in 45 minutes.

Here are the 3rd set stats

p4y.png

The 3rd set clearly was the most testing for Federer

Here are the overall match stats

ITY3noh.jpg

This was Roger Federer 65th match win at US Open which tied him with John McEnroe at 5th position in most number of wins at US Open in the Open Era.

After the match, Federer was spotted practicing

1234023_3437041860968_81579628_n.jpg

Roger Federer in his post match press conference stated that he practiced after the match to get his rhythm as he couldn't enough rallies in the match vs Zemlja.

Roger Federer when asked about whether he is going for gluten free diet replied, he is having extra gluten diet.

Roger Federer will face the Argentine Carlos Berlocq in the 2nd round most probably on Thursday.

Scroll down for pics, interview quotes, video highlights from the match.

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#2 Roger Federer Fans

Roger Federer Fans

Site Admin & WebMaster

• Moderators
  • 1,643 posts

Current mood: Inspired

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:55 AM

Some pics from the match ----------

ZZqURZo.jpg

F6KBN1D.jpg

j0DbP8i.jpg

2RcFVrH.jpg

oLplfdw.jpg

KNyTQm7.jpg

GEy7neN.jpg

DVpmfME.jpg

Picture of Roger Federer in his red shoes at US Open, 2013

jhtVPiZ.jpg

w84lgDq.jpg

Ln7zJDk.jpg

W5u4SYf.jpg

bJ1gKtS.jpg

vSr21Py.jpg

BuOU56p.jpg

81oC9sp.jpg

IWjjyHe.jpg

iGf46tS.jpg

Subscribe us via -----

E-mail Subscription | Twitter | G Plus | FB |

Read our ---

Disclosure| FAQ

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this site & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time member of RF Fans.

#3 Roger Federer Fans

Roger Federer Fans

Site Admin & WebMaster

• Moderators
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:01 AM

Highlights from the match ------------

Subscribe us via -----

Read our ---

Disclosure| FAQ

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this site & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time member of RF Fans.

#4 Roger Federer Fans

Roger Federer Fans

Site Admin & WebMaster

• Moderators
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:03 AM

One more highlights package -----------

For knowing how the ATP Rankings are likely to change after US Open, 2013, click here

Subscribe us via -----

Read our ---

Disclosure| FAQ

#5 sausan

sausan

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 2,723 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

Federer interviewed before and after the match 

1236879_583626401680979_300349770_n.jpg

995170_583625761681043_1431226408_n.jpg

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#6 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 2,723 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

1175729_583641318346154_1682560112_n.jpg

1174619_583752915001661_353782769_n.jpg

1098009_583752645001688_1271329725_n.jpg

602805_583656025011350_172159230_n.jpg

971962_583752738335012_54017064_n.jpg

1239899_583752851668334_1981746629_n.jpg

1175157_589999614379720_1981803451_n.jpg

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Follow us also on...

#7 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 2,723 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

Full Highlights from the match...

Follow us also on...

#8 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 2,723 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

The Press Conference of Roger after his victory over Zemlja...

1278158_583789991664620_2099621769_o.jpg

Q. You did a really good job moving forward in the court. Was that the game plan coming in?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, I saw quickly that he was hitting the ball hard and flat through the court. You don't want to then move backwards and just try to make the shot because then he can really even go bigger on it. You know, I decided also to play aggressive. By doing that, didn't have many rallies. It was more of a serving contest. Yeah, so there wasn't much rhythm out there, but I was happy the way I played, you know, overall. I mean, it's a first round after all. There was a bit of a breeze. Should have played at night. Played during the day. Overall I'm pleased to be in the next round.

Q. Were you fazed much by having to switch schedule?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, it didn't really matter. The only thing I would have liked then to practice more yesterday. But that's not going to, you know, make a huge difference, I don't believe. They canceled I thought fairly quickly last night. It was 11:30 by the time I got back to the hotel. But it wasn't nerve wracking or anything waiting last night. You know, it was 5 All in the first set, deuce. The match didn't even start yet. So nerves were calm. From that standpoint I didn't lose extra energy that way.

Q. Were you pleased to hear they're going to put a roof on the stadium?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I'm very happy for tennis in general. For you guys, for the fans, for the players who are going to be able to enjoy all of that. Because I think it's really the night sessions that can get washed out in a big way. Everybody's looking forward to the big night match, and then all of a sudden you don't have much margin because you're not going to send best of five set matches out on court at 11:00, 12:00. So at night with the roof you always have a guaranteed match. For TV it's huge. I think it is a future that we have to go. We saw it again last night. Everybody loses in a situation like that, I believe.

Q. Some players are interested in the gluten free diet. What do you think about that?

ROGER FEDERER: Oh, no, I have extra gluten (laughter). No, I mean, I don't. I've always paid attention to what I eat. I've always been a healthy eater. Clearly you can take it to the next step, you know, when to eat, exactly what, before the match, during the match, after the match, what to eat exactly if you're not sure. I grew up sort of as a vegetarian when I was younger. I'm happy I can eat a bit of everything today, which makes it easier overall. I've seen some nutritionists from time to time, but nothing crazy or major really.

Q. With James Blake announcing yesterday his plans to retire after this tournament, what are your thoughts on what he's meant to the game?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, I guess I was happy to hear it, you know, because I really have enjoyed playing against James. I think it's always nice when you can go out on your terms. I mean, he could still play for years to come. He knows that. But I think eventually maybe he just felt like, It's good for me. I've accomplished everything I've wanted. I want to go out on my terms. It's in New York, which makes total sense for him. I've had some good matches against him. Maybe the biggest matches of his career, except maybe the match he played here against Agassi. Cincinnati, Shanghai. I've had some big matches against him, also the Olympics where he beat me. We go way back. We always used to practice a lot together, have good times on tour. So I'll miss him, but he's probably going to stay around tennis some. That's good to hear. I think it's always a pity when you leave the game entirely and you never see the guy again. With James, I hope he'll stay around.

Q. Can you talk specifically about James' forehand. How would you compare it with the other big ones you've faced as a weapon?

ROGER FEDERER: I mean, I've always been a big fan of James. I think it's ranked one of the greatest shots out there because his take back is extremely quick. You cannot see where he hits it. He can also hit it moving backwards or forwards. He can pull the trigger. So you're never quite safe when you go to that side. It doesn't matter if it's pulled out to the forehand or inside out forehand. With his footwork, he got to many balls that you would think he would just get to, but he would hit a screaming winner off it. That's what made him so dangerous and so hard to play for so many years. For me it's one of the great forehands out there.

Q. (Question about practicing after match today.)

ROGER FEDERER: Just rhythm. Hardly had any rallies today. Decided to go and just work out some more on the practice courts, yeah.

Q. James is at a stage in his life where he doesn't have the passion to want to continue. It's not physical. With yourself, is it unforeseeable right now for you to say you would ever lose the passion to play this game or do you see that day someday coming?

ROGER FEDERER: Don't know. I mean, right now I love it.

Q. Is your passion as high as it's ever been?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I think so. Clearly when you win everything, it's fun. That doesn't necessarily mean you love the game more. You just like winning, being on the front page, lifting trophies, doing comfortable press conferences. It's nice. But that doesn't mean you really actually love it, love it. That maybe shines through maybe more in times when you don't play that well. For me, I knew it, winning or losing, practice court or match court, that I love it. So I've been around for too long. Clearly when I had, you know, my two girls, I also wasn't sure right off the bat how it was going to be after that. Was I going to be able to play the same schedule? Was my love for the game as big? Were we going to be able to cope with the whole thing, having twins or not? Managed it totally fine. They were at the court today. I'm so happy to see them before and after the match. I'm in a good spot right now. I want to enjoy it as long as it lasts, yeah.

Q. What do you think about Berlocq? You played against him once in Rome. What do you think about the Thursday match?

ROGER FEDERER: Don't remember much of the Rome match to be honest. It's one of those matches I don't remember. But I think he's a very good player. He's got good intensity, forehand and backhand. Can play on the baseline. He's actually really improved a lot on the slower hard courts. This is maybe a tiny bit faster. If we play at night, I think it might suit him a little better. We'll see when they schedule us. He's a fit guy, you know. Trained with him a lot in Rome, in Madrid. We know each other's game pretty well, so we know what to expect. Yeah, he's just been in Switzerland playing TeamTennis over there, winning it. So he's super confident I guess right now.

Q. Like a father, which lesson do you take from sports after so many years which you would like to give to your daughters?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, I don't know. I mean, I think they're learning as we go long automatically, just getting to meet so many different people, cities and countries and languages, places and travels. You know, I think just by traveling by itself, it's unbelievable how much you learn. Being more independent. I'm still learning still today I feel, even though I know my way pretty much around, what works, what doesn't work. But, you know, I was a very emotional kid. Every kid is emotional, too. I feel I can always relate to kids. If that makes me maybe a good or a bad father, I don't know. I try to teach them right values. So far, so good. But it's clearly rocky, no doubt about that.

Follow us also on...

#9 Rita

Rita

Roger Federer Fans 2nd Grand Slam Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Current mood: Fine

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:28 PM

Some great pics - thank you,

I supposed everyone was as relieved as me to see Roger get that first match under his belt, and with such ease.  I know his opponent was not exactly at his level, but all the same I think it must have been impossibly hard for Roger to go out there and play that first match after all the publicity he's been getting lately.  Would have taken great courage, so well done Roger. I'm proud of you :)

#10 Tennis Lover

Tennis Lover

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:07 PM

I think the Roger that lost to Stakhovsky in Wimbledon was not the best version. This Roger, in New York, is a totally different player, I believe. When he is fit, Roger can still be a factor in all the majors. The only problem, of course, for him in US Open is his confidence and rhythm after having such a dramatic season, but I think with all his experiences, he will deal whatever is thrown at him now. I hope he gets a good rhythm in his next match and display his full force from 3rd round. He shouldn't worry about peaking in the 2nd week, because he needs to build confidence and get into good rhythm more than anything. Once he gets on a roll, I think everything is possible for him. It will be a heck of a quarterfinal against Nadal. DécorTurf of Arthur Ashe stadium is faster than other types of hard courts, and it will be interesting to see how they match up there.

#11 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,279 posts
  • LocationPerched on a Comfy Chair - UK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

Here's another highlights package

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#12 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:44 PM

I must admit when Roger started the match with a double fault my tension levels rose considerably.  Thankfully he soon settled in and seemed to cruise quickly through the first two sets making some classic Federer shots and serving up a good collection of aces.

The third set gave a bit of concern as Roger appeared to lose focus for a while and Zmelja began to find better form, but Roger re-grouped and got himself together in time to wrap the set up before having to face the test of a tie break.

He shows he is keen to do well by turning to the practice courts immediately after this match and the comfortable win here will hopefully give him the boost to his confidence that he needs.

Have you noticed the woman sitting near the chair umpire? She appears to be holding a directional microphone which the angels towards each player as they have the ball.  This amuses me ... would have thought that this day and age there would be the capability to rig the show courts for sound so this was not necessary  :rolleyes:  

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#13 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

A few more photos from the match and post match press conference

1185214_649837638361365_1942131827_n.jpg

1149017_583799258330360_1594902106_n.jpg

1148949_583799248330361_791717251_n.jpg

995187_583799194997033_1536470157_n.jpg

547730_583799344997018_265188589_n.jpg

1239836_583799584996994_337334329_n.jpg

1239786_583789924997960_268213509_n.jpg

#14 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:43 PM

Here's the video of the on court interview after the match

#15 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 2,723 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:52 AM

Marion Bartoli about Roger Federer: "I love Roger. His game is perfection, i love his game. He can win another Grand Slam, maybe here or in Wimbledon. I saw him practice with Wawrinka and after 2 hours was more fresh than Stan. He is in good shape"

Follow us also on...

#16 bettyboop

bettyboop

Roger Federer Fans Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Current mood: Cheerful

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:18 AM

delighted... lots more to come  :D  :rolleyes:  :)  :lol:

#17 Rita

Rita

Roger Federer Fans 2nd Grand Slam Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Current mood: Fine

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:17 PM

Wendy, I didn't notice the lady with the microphone.  Will look out for her today.  I recently bought a new TV and a quite basic sound system to go with it, having read about how TV manufacturers these days concentrate all on the look and add speakers almost as an afterthought.  Apparently almost all programmes today are made with 5-channel sound, but because of poor TV sound are broadcast through 2 channels only.  I know with my new TV when I tried to watch tennis not using the surround sound I couldn't hear the balls bounce at all, and that is a very odd experience indeed.  With the sound system I can not only hear the balls bounce I can hear them coming off the racket and the various levels of force used. I'm very aware of the amount of strength and effort that goes into hitting the ball now.  It's interesting.  But as you say, you would think nowadays there would be an easier way of picking up sound than having someone sit with a microphone. Sometimes the old ways are the best I guess. 

#18 ARIJEET SEN

ARIJEET SEN

Roger Federer Fans 250 Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationNew Delhi India

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

Well about the 1st round match I disagree with most of you.roger was rusty , very rusty.he was clearly hampered with his injured back and was not moving well . Was seen shrugging the back after each serve in the warm up before the match . And was also having an issue with his left arm ( seen holding the left arm in the initial games during the changeover) . Was having a lot of timing issues when hitting the ball from the baseline. I am clearly worried about his back and hope its really manageable as stated by roger.
On the positive side his serve was good for most part of the match. Another positive was he hit the practise courts rightafter the match to get some rythm.The court seems to be a bit faster this year,which i guess is going to help Roger.also i prefer Roger playing the night matches although the day matches in the initial rounds is not bad either. Certainly i would like a night match vs nadal in the quarters. But first things first. Best of luck against Berloq. Hope Roger is healthy and expecting an improved performance from him today

#19 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 2,723 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:50 PM

Roger Federer VS Carlos Berlocq, 2nd round,Thursday, August 29 ..Not before 02:30 pm local time, 06:30 pm GMT...

1187004_590603230986025_1414104865_n.jpg

Follow us also on...

#20 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:56 PM

Unfortunately I am only able to watch these matches on a far from perfect stream on iPad. The clarity of the image often leaving a lot to be desired which means it is difficult to even see the ball at times, add to that the sound is not necessarily in sync ..... So I only really get an impression of how Roger is on that day. The encouraging thing was the number of aces he served. A definite improvement. Time will tell, I desperately hope that his back issue has been managed and is not continuing to hamper his game or preoccupy his mind.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+