• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 7 votes

Match Report, Pics, Video Highlights of Roger Federer vs Tommy Robredo, US Open 2013

roger federer tommy robredo us open 2013 2013 slams

58 replies to this topic

#41 Tennis Lover

Tennis Lover

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:40 AM

I think 'Big 4' have genuine respect towards one another and that is setting a good example on how to maintain relationship with your rivals/fellow tennis players/comrades for the young payers. It's good to see that Djokovic is showing his support for Federer. Very nice gesture.

#42 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 3,256 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:26 PM

Andy Murray about Roger: “ I think a lot of players go through periods where they're not playing their best tennis, and that's obviously been the case with Roger, you know, since around probably Wimbledon time. He had a few issues with his back this year, as well. He's still hitting the ball well. He still has the same strokes. It's just when you lose a few matches you're supposed to win, then you lose a little bit of confidence. That's huge in this game.”

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#43 Rita

Rita

Roger Federer Fans 2nd Grand Slam Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Current mood: Fine

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:52 PM

Seems like Andy could have said that about himself too - though I think it was inevitable after winning Wimbledon that he would suffer a slight decline.  Too much invested in that one goal, and winning it must have left him unable to summon up quite the same motivation for the following tournaments. I'm sure he'll be back on track once he's managed to put his big win in perspective.

Very quiet on the Roger front, isn't it.  Wonder where he is and what he's doing.  Some quiet time with the family before heading into the training I hope.  

#44 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:54 AM

With Andy's performance against Stan Wawrinka yesterday with a racquet smash added into the mix, it just emphasises the point that bad days happen to players, whoever they are and wherever they are in the rankings. It is not always possible to live up to expectations and all the more amazing that Roger has managed to do, so many times, over and over again through the years.

Nobody can take THAT achievement away from him.

I sincerely hope that he is enjoying some special time with his family now and talking things over with his team on how best to approach the future. Whatever he decides true fans will support him. He has certainly earned our respect.

1012525_586517438058542_911295513_n.jpg?

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#45 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 3,256 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:10 PM

And Roger Federer sent Stan Wawrinka a text message right after his win over Andy Murray...

Stanislas Wawrinka About Roger : "I didn't check my message, but I don't have to answer that question. For sure he text me because he's the first happy for me when I play well. So he's the first to text me before the match and after the match (smiling)."

"I'm sure it's a tough year for him. I'm sure next year is going to be much more better because he still have the game, he still is a great champion. I'm sure he need to adapt a few things in his calendar or in his game, but he will find a way how to come back."

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Follow us also on...

#46 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 3,256 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

Henri Leconte ( a former French tennis player): "Respect Federer because he made tennis magic and popular.Roger don't listen the idiots who tell u're finished.I believe in u"

Follow us also on...

#47 Rita

Rita

• Members +
  • 235 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

Nice words from Stan and Henri.  I've been really impressed with Stan's performance in the US Open.  He wasn't far off beating Novak was he.  He can be really proud of himself.

Henri I seem to remember had to give up tennis because of back problems, so he probably sympathises with Roger more than most.  I've always liked him.  A nice guy and I'm sure words of support that are genuinely meant like this will be a huge encouragement to Roger.

#48 Tennis Lover

Tennis Lover

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:12 PM

Very nice words indeed and timely encouragement for Roger as well. He needs a lot of them right now I think. I'm sure he'll come back strong soon.

#49 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:57 PM

Its when things get tough you find out who your true friends are.  Lets hope Roger takes comfort and gains encouragement from messages from those people who do support and understand what he is going through.  I too am sure he will come back.  He still has the physique, the ability and the grace on court.  When he is in the zone he is certainly impressive.  He just has to sort out his demons and maybe take time to regroup and recover.  After all 2012 was a specially exhausting year and with the December exhos to boot the 2013 Tour was in his face and demanding attention, with hardly a moment to refresh and repair after the long season.

Granted Rafa Nadal had such a long break due to the injury to his knees, but goodness has he ever come back with a vengeance! Give Roger time.  I feel he needs to take that time for himself.  I have felt that this year he has sometimes looked mentally drained, he needs that space to be left to get himself comfortable with everything, sort out the racquet issue and really get to grips with it so it becomes as second nature.  And yes I do feel he needs to match the other top players and go for the bigger racquet head.  It will give him more power.

It is good that he has such a close family, with Mirka and his parents readily there to support him.  

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#50 chris90

chris90

Roger Federer Fans 100 Title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:09 AM

I wanted to post this picture i made. I don't know if i did it right. I hope you like it

Sin título.png

#51 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 3,256 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:39 PM

Serena Williams‪ on equalling ‬Roger Federer‪‪'s 17 Grand Slam: "It's an honor to be even with Roger, He's been such a great champion throughout the years, and he's just an unbelievable competitor and he's still playing, and he can probably still win more."‬

Follow us also on...

#52 Rita

Rita

• Members +
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:53 PM

I've noticed that other players, those who are still playing,  seem to believe Roger can still win. It's mostly journalists and ex-players that think he should retire. And people who contribute to forums who of course know nothing   I find this very encouraging because these are the people who have played against Roger (with the exception of Serena of course) and so know his potential more than the armchair critics.  Nice words from Serena and congratulations to her. 

#53 Rita

Rita

• Members +
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

Don't really know where to post this, there are so many headings here but none for articles.  Anyway, a good article here I think:

http://www.telegraph...st-Croatia.html

Only thing is I can't understand why the author goes to the trouble of explaining why Roger's head-to-head statistics with Nadal are flawed, and then goes on to say that if Nadal equals Roger's GS record, then that combined with the head-to-head stats will probably make him (Nadal) the GOAT.  Bit contradictory I think.

PS. We know who is, and always will be, the GOAT, don't we ;)

#54 ARIJEET SEN

ARIJEET SEN

Roger Federer Fans 250 Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationNew Delhi India

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:03 PM

I have been reading a lot of articles about nadal equalling federers record of 17 slams. Its absolutely possible for nadal to win 17 slams . But the question is will that be enough to equal rogers record. My bet for the first man to reach 18 slams is not be nadal, nor djokovic ,not murray but an "old man" named Roger federer . . Because no matter whats roger age is "WINNING NEVER GROWS OLD"

#55 ARIJEET SEN

ARIJEET SEN

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:42 PM

Federer to play doubles in shanghai with a chinese player Ze zhang. I dont know why but probably federer will play with the new prototype racquet and he needs more matches with the new stick.

#56 ashRAFAN

ashRAFAN

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationAllahabad ( तीर्थराज प्रयाग ) , India

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:01 PM

Don't really know where to post this, there are so many headings here but none for articles.  Anyway, a good article here I think:

http://www.telegraph...st-Croatia.html

Only thing is I can't understand why the author goes to the trouble of explaining why Roger's head-to-head statistics with Nadal are flawed, and then goes on to say that if Nadal equals Roger's GS record, then that combined with the head-to-head stats will probably make him (Nadal) the GOAT.  Bit contradictory I think.

PS. We know who is, and always will be, the GOAT, don't we ;)

No one will ever dominate the tennis world especially the slams, like roger but if nadal could reach his grand slam mark, roger would loose the current monopoly as GOAT for sure.

#57 ARIJEET SEN

ARIJEET SEN

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:05 PM

@ashrafan i beg to differ from you. Well roger is GOAT not just because of the numbers but the way he plays. He is a magician with the tennis raquet an artist when all the other players look like photoshop nerds. He is the real one who could make you feel that he is the divine one. No it isnt just about numbers , if it was so then Pete Sampras would regularly feature as the Prime candidate for GOAT. instead Rod Laver and Bjorn Borg have greater claims for being the GOAT . Even Ivan Lendl with 8 grand slam titles and 269 weeks at no 1 rankings does not get anyones vote as the GOAT. See Gerd Muller or Pele may have any number of goals but Maradona with that skill level beats them all as the greatest football player ever. So mate dont jump into foregone conclusions. And as i said Nadal has every chance to reach no 17 but the question is will that be enough to equal Federer's record. For as long as Roger plays he is the one to set the benchmark and the best person to break that benchmark is ROGER FEDERER himself.

#58 ashRAFAN

ashRAFAN

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationAllahabad ( तीर्थराज प्रयाग ) , India

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

@ashrafan i beg to differ from you. Well roger is GOAT not just because of the numbers but the way he plays. He is a magician with the tennis raquet an artist when all the other players look like photoshop nerds. He is the real one who could make you feel that he is the divine one. No it isnt just about numbers , if it was so then Pete Sampras would regularly feature as the Prime candidate for GOAT. instead Rod Laver and Bjorn Borg have greater claims for being the GOAT . Even Ivan Lendl with 8 grand slam titles and 269 weeks at no 1 rankings does not get anyones vote as the GOAT. See Gerd Muller or Pele may have any number of goals but Maradona with that skill level beats them all as the greatest football player ever. So mate dont jump into foregone conclusions. And as i said Nadal has every chance to reach no 17 but the question is will that be enough to equal Federer's record. For as long as Roger plays he is the one to set the benchmark and the best person to break that benchmark is ROGER FEDERER himself.

dude its somehow about numbers only. I don't know if there is any benchmark for being the greatest of all time, but yeah the magic created by Rafa Nadal at court is also not ordinary. Roger has class , rafa has power. I like the game of both.
If we talk about numbers , tennis is all about grand slams. Roger is exceptional at slams so he is often called greatest of all time. His consistency at slams can never be matched. But Rafa can reach is mark, he will also be a contender along with Roger for being the Greatest of all Time. But this is all ' IF '.

#59 ARIJEET SEN

ARIJEET SEN

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

dude its somehow about numbers only. I don't know if there is any benchmark for being the greatest of all time, but yeah the magic created by Rafa Nadal at court is also not ordinary. Roger has class , rafa has power. I like the game of both.
If we talk about numbers , tennis is all about grand slams. Roger is exceptional at slams so he is often called greatest of all time. His consistency at slams can never be matched. But Rafa can reach is mark, he will also be a contender along with Roger for being the Greatest of all Time. But this is all ' IF '.

Sorry for the late reply but i cannot help saying that you have got this all wrong in my opinion. ''Who is the greatest of all time" is a subject that is debated over the years . Many has debated over this and there had been different names thrown up from time to time but no one has ever come to a uninamous conclusion.then came roger federer and most of the people regarded him as the greatest . Still there was a lot of argument for and against this opinion. The point is if it was just only about numbers then there would not have been any debate . Any 3 or 4 year old who has basic knowledge about numbers would have easiliy concluded who is the greatest.
The most successful dosent necessarily mean that he is the greatest. The man with the most runs or the most goals against his name is not necessarily the greatest. Sir neville cardus used to say the scorebook is an idiot. It gives a picture from an angle but its not the entire picture. Moreover when you talk about numbers you not only have to look into number of grandslam but also masters series victories (currently nadal is way ahead of the rest in this category) ,the weeks at number one which clearly shows how one player has dominated and also the masters cup currently called the world tour finals. Any consider this as a fifth grand slam. In these statistics nadal isnt close to top three let alone only Roger federer. Even pete sampras has a better numbers than rafael nadal at this moment. So mate the point is if 20 years later any young man judges roger federer only by numbers will not have any iorta of idea of roger federers greatness. The artistry and magic is way beyond something quantified by numbers.

So mate you see even if you judge by numbers roger federer is way ahead of rafael nadal . And roger federer is not the only man in front of rafael nadal in terms of numbers. First nadal have to beat sampras numbers then only he will be considered second best ( that is if you judge by numbers which you insist) . I am not saying that rafael nadal cannot beat the numbern of Federer surely its not impossible . But there is a lot of time for that to happen . So mate till then roger is the greatest by a long way and nadal dosent deserve to be called in the same breath with federer.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+