* * * * * 4 votes

Rafa Nadal will secure 2013 year-end No.1 ranking if he wins Shanghai Masters

rafa nadal 2013 No 1 shanghai masters 2013 shanghai 2013 Novak djokovic

30 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Love to Watch But Can't Play..._*

Guest_Love to Watch But Can't Play..._*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:03 AM

Sorry for just bumping in like this, but I'm curious Rafa's fan. Read this, please. (it's from the ATP rulebook).

Rafa didn't play Miami, AO. Does it mean that points from Chile Open could be counted instead.  He played so far 15 tournaments, plus Basel and Paris it will be 17, so he won't surpass the number of 18 tournaments.

And this

You only talk how Rafa is yet to fulfill this commitment in Basel.

How about Djokovic? Djokovic played only two ATP 500 tournaments this year (Dubai and Beijing) and there is only one ATP 500 tournament left (Basel/Valencia) so it's impossible for him to fulfill the commitment of four (4). What are penalties in his case and how it will affect his ranking on Monday of November 4th?

Thank you guys.

Hi Gaby,

Nadal skipped Miami Open due to his knee problems. A player can skip with medical proof. I am not sure though if you should count the last 18 played tournaments..

Is 500 series also mandatory?

#22 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,632 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:36 AM

@GABY :

Answers  :

(I) Rafa didn't play Miami, AO. Does it mean that points from Chile Open could be counted instead.  He played so far 15 tournaments, plus Basel and Paris it will be 17, so he won't surpass the number of 18 tournaments.

Well, don't be confused about number of tournaments. Rankings get counted by counting 4 grand slams, 8 mandatory ATP-1000 tournaments, 6 other best tournaments (can be any ATP-500, ATP-250, DAVIS Cup or challengers or futures).

So, if a player plays 2 grand slams only, 2 mandatory atp-1000 only, his points will be for those 4 tournaments only.

The mandatory requirement is for playing in 4 ATP-500's (with one of them being after US Open).

(ii) You only talk how Rafa is yet to fulfill this commitment in Basel.

How about Djokovic? Djokovic played only two ATP 500 tournaments this year (Dubai and Beijing) plus Monte Carlo and there is only one ATP 500 tournament left (Basel/Valencia) to play. If he doesn't, what are penalties in his case and how it will affect his ranking on Monday of November 4th?

Well, as I explained in my original post, Nadal hadn't completed the commitment of playing at 4 ATP-500 tourneys last year. (This year, he has already completed).

You are right about Djokovic & as I explained, if Djokovic doesn't play at Valencia Open, then his chances of ending 2013 year-end as #1 are 0% as he hadn't completed the 4 ATP-500 tourneys commitment in 2012 also & that's why, he has a zero for Valencia.

To make things easier for u, I will write another article covering points of both for Basel/Valencia, Bercy by Monday. So, stay tuned :).

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#23 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:39 AM

Hi Gaby,

Nadal skipped Miami Open due to his knee problems. A player can skip with medical proof. I am not sure though if you should count the last 18 played tournaments..

Is 500 series also mandatory?

playing in 4 ATP-500 tourneys is mandatory for top-30 players else they get a zero pointer (for ATP-500 tournaments being less than 4) & that zero point can't be removed for the whole of 52 weeks.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#24 Guest_Hankollah_*

Guest_Hankollah_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

I believe berdych retiring was a setup to assure Novak 2nd place

#25 gaby

gaby

Roger Federer Fans Challenger Title

• Members +
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Current mood: Happy

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:53 PM

Thank you for answers.  :)

Well, don't be confused about number of tournaments. Rankings get counted by counting 4 grand slams, 8 mandatory ATP-1000 tournaments, 6 other best tournaments (can be any ATP-500, ATP-250, DAVIS Cup or challengers or futures).

So, if a player plays 2 grand slams only, 2 mandatory atp-1000 only, his points will be for those 4 tournaments only.

I was confused by the rule book (and still am) in my first quote.

^For every Grand Slam or mandatory ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament for which a

player is not in the main draw, and was not (and, in the case of a Grand Slam, would
not have been, had he and all other players entered) a main draw direct acceptance
on the original acceptance list, and never became a main draw direct acceptance,
the number of his results from all other eligible tournaments in the ranking period, that
count for his ranking, is increased by one (1).^

If I'm not right with this rule, then it's useless for him to play Basel because he already has 150 points from Chile and if he doesn't reach SF in Basel, it would be bad decision for him to play Basel. But, every point eventually won in Paris will count. So, skip Basel and play Paris, Rafa!

You are right about Djokovic & as I explained, if Djokovic doesn't play at Valencia Open, then his chances of ending 2013 year-end as #1 are 0% as he hadn't completed the 4 ATP-500 tourneys commitment in 2012 also & that's why, he has a zero for Valencia.

I've read on this topic that if Novak skips Valencia, then he needs Rafa to win less then 800 points? Really confused.  :huh:

#26 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:43 AM

Thank you for answers.  :)

I was confused by the rule book (and still am) in my first quote.

^For every Grand Slam or mandatory ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament for which a

player is not in the main draw, and was not (and, in the case of a Grand Slam, would
not have been, had he and all other players entered) a main draw direct acceptance
on the original acceptance list, and never became a main draw direct acceptance,
the number of his results from all other eligible tournaments in the ranking period, that
count for his ranking, is increased by one (1).^

If I'm not right with this rule, then it's useless for him to play Basel because he already has 150 points from Chile and if he doesn't reach SF in Basel, it would be bad decision for him to play Basel. But, every point eventually won in Paris will count. So, skip Basel and play Paris, Rafa!

I've read on this topic that if Novak skips Valencia, then he needs Rafa to win less then 800 points? Really confused.  :huh:

Okay, see, playing at Basel has a big financial contract involved with the contract. So, I won't like comment on that decision.

& yes, you are right, Rafa's points from Basel won't only count if he reaches Semis (180 points) as he has a back-up of 150 points of Chile Open.

To clarify you once again, rules are very clear about slams and ATP-1000. You get points only for those slams & 8 Mandatory ATP-1000 tourneys which you play else you get a zero. Don't get confused about the exact repercussions of the rules :).

Yes, I agree there is a slight difference on ATP-500 case & that I think, I have explained quite a number of times in this topic :). Feel free to clarify any other doubt that u may have :).

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#27 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:17 AM

Important Update: I just now completed a new article comparing the points of Novak Djokovic & Rafa Nadal & who will end 2013 as year-end #1 updated after Shanghai Masters, 2013. Here is the link of that detailed article ----

http://www.rogerfedererfans.com/forum/topic/1632-will-rafael-nadal-or-novak-djokovic-end-2013-as-year-end-atp-world-no-1/

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#28 gaby

gaby

• Members +
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:10 PM

Thank you, Vibhuism, for your patience. I think I am close to understand all the fuss about ranking points.

Feel free to clarify any other doubt that u may have :).

Correct me if I'm wrong (or maybe don't and let me live in believe that I got it :D ):

Playing in 4 ATP 500 tournaments is mandatory for players. If they don't they get zero 0 pointer for every tournament played less than 4.  And that penalty last 52 weeks. 

How it affect rankings?- In Novak's case, he played only 3 tournaments of this category and he will get zero pointer for Valencia if he doesn't play.

And now to check if I got it right:  We assume that Novak doesn't play Valencia. For example- If he played any  ATP 250 tournament during the year (or challenger, future, etc. - all those types of tourneys which count in their best of 6 results)  he'd get zero pointer for that tournament because he didn't fulfill the commitment of 4 ATP 500. 

#29 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:17 AM

Thank you, Vibhuism, for your patience. I think I am close to understand all the fuss about ranking points.

Correct me if I'm wrong (or maybe don't and let me live in believe that I got it :D ):

Playing in 4 ATP 500 tournaments is mandatory for players. If they don't they get zero 0 pointer for every tournament played less than 4.  And that penalty last 52 weeks. 

How it affect rankings?- In Novak's case, he played only 3 tournaments of this category and he will get zero pointer for Valencia if he doesn't play.

And now to check if I got it right:  We assume that Novak doesn't play Valencia. For example- If he played any  ATP 250 tournament during the year (or challenger, future, etc. - all those types of tourneys which count in their best of 6 results)  he'd get zero pointer for that tournament because he didn't fulfill the commitment of 4 ATP 500. 

Answer : Yes, mandatory for Top-30 players :)....

Answer: yes, true, he played only 3 last year (& Monte Carlo is included in that category) & that's why, he has a zero for VALENCIA...

Answer: Yes, high-five, you got it right :)....

Lets say, Novak played only 3 ATP-500 (including Monte Carlo) & played 4 ATP-250  & won all 4 ATP-250's

So, he will get a zero for the 4th ATP-500 & will be able to add only 2 ATP-250 tourney points out of 4 actually....

So, hope, now, u are an expert in ATP rankings as well & will remember, who taught you all this :)..

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#30 gaby

gaby

• Members +
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

Thank you, I'll remember.  :D

#31 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:26 AM

From here on the discussion involving World Tour Finals, 2013 & Davis Cup 2013 finals has moved to a newer topic & here's the link -------

http://www.rogerfede...-wtf-davis-cup/

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+