Breaking news: Roger Federer ends coaching relationship with Paul Annacone

roger federer paul annacone coaching rf coach severin luthi team RF rf coaches

30 replies to this topic

#1 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,224 posts
  • LocationIncredible India & Tennis world Traveller.

Current mood: Sporty

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:14 AM

In a move that surprised every one, Roger Federer today announced on his official website that he has ended his coaching relationship with Paul Annacone.

Paul+Annacone+Internazionali+BNL+Italia+

In his official press release/announcement, Roger Federer stated,

"After a terrific 3 ½ years working together, Paul and I have decided to move on to the next chapter in our professional lives. When we started together we had a vision of a 3 year plan to win another Grand Slam title and get back to the number #1 ranking. Along with many other goals and great memories, these 2 main goals were achieved.

After numerous conversations culminating at the end of our most recent training block, we felt like this was the best time and path for both of us. Paul remains a dear friend, and we both look forward to continuing our friendship. I want to thank Paul for his help and the value he has added to me and my team."

1044621_555817254461894_441303106_n.jpg

Paul Annacone has been a part of Roger Federer's coaching team for almost 3 & a half years now

Paul Annacone wasn't present at Shanghai Masters where in Roger Federer lost in the 3rd round against Gael Monfils. Since then, a lot of our readers have been speculating if Federer & Annacone would split at the end of the season or not?

But, in a surprising move, Federer decided to split with Annacone with just 4 weeks left in 2013 Tennis calendar.

What might have caused the split between Paul Annacone and Roger Federer?

As, we all know, Roger Federer has a lot of respect for Annacone & even his announcement about the split is a testimonial to that.

Also, Paul Annacone has always praised Roger Federer & in one of the most recent interviews, Annacone had said, he pinches himself that he got the opportunity to work with Federer after having coached Sampras & Henman. 

So, even thinking that the decision to split was taken because of some ego issues or some financial issues, would be 100% wrong.

As you all know, Roger Federer's ranking has fallen from No. 1 in the No. 7 since last Shanghai Masters. Also, this year has been one of the most mediocre years in Roger Federer's entire professional career.

So, Roger Federer might have felt its high time to do some thing different. That's why, the decision to split with Paul Annacone would have been taken.

Also, Roger Federer had decided to use a bigger 98 sq inch prototype Tennis racket during the two tournaments that he had played at Hamburg & Gstaad in July, 2013.

39d41a91a940d65ea2cb46aa3b9d7ef9_zpsb957

It is believed that Roger Federer had taken the decision to shift to the new bigger racket on the behest of Paul Annacone.

But, all of a sudden, Roger Federer decided that he will switch back to his old tried & trusted Wilson ProStaff 90' from Cincinnati Masters onwards till the end of US Open, 2013 & there after, he had stated that he will switch back to the prototype. 

It needs to be added that for the first four days of practice at Cincinnati, Roger Federer had practiced with the new prototype 98 racket & from the 5th day, he decide to switch back to his old ProStaff 90 racket. Read that full story right here.

There are rumors going around that Paul Annacone wanted Roger Federer to continue with the new 98 prototype racket & felt that if the Swiss Maestro needs to gain his way back to the top, a bigger racket is must. So, this might be also one of the reasons that they both parted ways all of a sudden.

Who is likely to be Roger Federer's new coach?

At this point of time, its hard to mention any name. But, I feel that for this year, Roger Federer will not hire any new coach other than Severin Luthi who is already a part of Roger Federer's coaching team.

feddyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.jpg

Severin Luthi in picture is not only the Swiss Team's Davis cup captain but also a part of Roger Federer's coaching team for the last six years.

Image courtesy: posted by a blogger on Weibo.

It needs to be mentioned that not many people know that Severin Luthi is a part of Roger Federer's coaching team since May, 2007. Not only is Severin Luthi the current Swiss Davis Cup captain, but, Luthi was himself a very good Tennis player.

Since summer 2007, Severin Lüthi (who will turn 38 on 5th January, 1976) has been almost constantly by Federer's side as he tours the world, advising him, studying his opponents, and even acting as occasional sparring partner.

As per a newsletter by Credit Suisse, At the age of 17, Lüthi was already a Swiss tennis champion, and in the main category. He left school to pursue a professional career in tennis and was a good all-rounder – though, by his own admission, without an exceptional winning stroke. On one memorable occasion back then, he beat Brazil's Gustavo Kuerten at the Orange Bowl in Miami, who was the same age as him, and went on to become three-time French Open champion.

What do you guys think? Will Federer hire a new coach or should he stick with only Severin Luthi at this point of time?

Also, for finding the answer to the most asked question- Can Roger Federer qualify for World Tour Finals, 2013?

1378394_563015880438918_1685202901_n.png

Visit this detailed article right here.

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#2 chris90

chris90

Roger Federer Fans 100 Title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:42 AM

The questions now would be: Does he need another coach? who?

#3 Guest_Christina O'Keeffe_*

Guest_Christina O'Keeffe_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:21 AM

Roger 'not need a coach he knows what needs to be done 'and is quite able to do so .
But could try JP Mc <3 xxxx

#4 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:22 AM

The questions now would be: Does he need another coach? who?

I have discussed this in my original post.

Here's a screenshot of Roger's announcement ----

1378329_414400551994970_1115426697_n.png

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#5 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 1,447 posts
  • LocationPerched on a Comfy Chair - UK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:48 AM

This came as a bit of a surprise with Basel just a week away, then Paris and hopefully London!

I have a slight pang of dread that Roger's next chapter may be something fans have been dreading, but am putting that to the back of my mind in hopes that he has other ideas and am sure that Roger has thought this through.

The one person I have always found to be a pleasant and constructive commentator during Roger's matches, is Jim Courier. It will be very interesting to see what develops ....

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#6 Guest_Andri60_*

Guest_Andri60_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:09 AM

Riccardo Piatti.
But Gasquet.......

#7 chris90

chris90

Roger Federer Fans 100 Title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:29 AM

i think that Jimmy connors could be a great option

#8 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:42 AM

Jim has great respect for Roger!

#9 Guest_Agentairhead_*

Guest_Agentairhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:09 AM

Funny this was announced as Paul was noticeably absent from Shanghai. Also, if you recall- Mirka- was at all the U.S. Open practices. Not surprising as this is another transition in an amazing career. Chapter next for Roger. Jim Courier or  Darren Cahill who now might be available??? Both have the skill and temperament for Roger's personality and skills. This is, of course, my humble opinion! What ever he chooses to do Roger is a Rock Star and it is not as interesting to watch tennis without him on the screen or court!

#10 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:18 AM

Paul Annacone tweeted & I quote -- Thx RF & Team RF-- been a terrific journey - great team , better people!!! Thx to all !!!"

I will really-2 miss him :(.. having seen him for all those years with Sampras & now, Federer, some times, I felt that
as if he was coaching me also :). #Nostalgia

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#11 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:11 PM

I cannot imagine any bad blood in this parting. It may just be that Roger has announced this now as they decided to save Paul the trip over to Europe as it was going to happen at the end of the season anyway. Perhaps he had commitments of his own back home, who knows.

Yes Mirka was there at Roger's practice sessions at the US Open and in Cincinatti (if my memory serves me well) :)

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#12 Guest_Rocker_*

Guest_Rocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

It is the right time to part - Roger was a much better player before Annacone and will be again without him. Roger knows best - trust in him. No new coach is needed he has won 17 grand slams and knows how to do it all - FACT!

#13 Rita

Rita

Roger Federer Fans 2nd Grand Slam Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Current mood: Fine

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

I had thought of Jimmy Connors a couple of months back when the thought occurred to me that something needed shaking up in the Federer camp.  He's been through the experience of playing, and with huge energy, way past normal retirement age.  He didn't do so well with Sharapova, but that could be for many reasons.  I wonder.  

#14 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

Some people messaged me to ask what had happened at Cincinnati Masters, 2013--- so, I updated it & if any of you wants to read that, can do in the original post.

Or here's the stuff that I have updated in the original post -----

It needs to be added that for the first four days of practice at Cincinnati, Roger Federer had practiced with the new prototype 98 racket & from the 5th day, he decide to switch back to his old ProStaff 90 racket. Read that full story right here.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#15 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:21 PM

Magnus Norman
Or Sampras
Or Agassi
Or Bjorn Borg
If its John McEnroe it is even perfect

#16 Guest_Joey_*

Guest_Joey_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:51 PM

Me, also thought immediately, when i read the news about Paul Annacone, that Jimmy Connors might be an option.

Jimmy's temperament could energize Roger.

But it also might get on his nerves too... :rolleyes:

Just my two cents...

Joey from Germany

#17 Saraunia

Saraunia

Roger Federer Fans Challenger Title

• Members +
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:59 AM

My goodness such "off the mark" coach personalities for Roger.  Regarding Jimmy Conners and respect for Roger . . . I beg to differ.  Of course in recent 2-3 years or so he's gained respect for Roger but before I would listen to Conners time and time again and it was evident that he did not really respect Roger's approach to the game and he was in constant praise of Nadal. He often commented on his disdain of players to tend to want to be "friends" with their opponents and it was evident that "smiley friend Roger" was not his type of guy.   I recall at the Australian Open (I was there for the whole tournament) during the time Conners was coaching Roddick and how Roger had more or less tried to "warm up to Conners" (I can't recall Roger's exact words) and I don't think he really thought too much of it;  but he did say how he was surprised that how he wanted to "vibe" with Conners and he was "standoffish" (so to speak . . . he used different words but this was the gest of what he was saying).  He then mention how he had a great rapport with Andy and that he had been friendly  (this was even after Roger destroyed Roddick during that tournmane and after the "upturn" in this career was going on and he was expected to give Roger a challenge but didn't.  I think Conners was a bit "taken aback" that Roger made these comments and I think after that he was surprised that Roger had "caught him" so to speak.  After that incident Conners began to warm up to Roger and show more respect in T.V. appearances and would say more nice things in his commentaries as time went on . . . I was always watching when he was commentating during those times.  I can't imagine that Conners would be a good fit for Roger. 

And why on earth would he want to hire John McEnroe who said just recently as after the U.S. Open loss to Robredo that Roger  is "done" (using different words of cours) and he said that he could not see him ever winning another major as long as Nadal and Djokovic is around.  So why would you want to hire someone that don't even believe that you have it in you to win again . . . that's absurd.

Well I don't think that Sampras or Agassi are even interesting in coaching and have never coached and just because someone is a great player . . . don't mean that he would be a great coach.  Sometimes, just the opposite.  These guys are settled and have wifes and lives that would be disrupted if they had to go on tour again.  Don't think it'll happen.

Jim Courier on the otherhand has always been respectful of Roger . . . but I don't think that he would be interesting in coaching and going on the rode either . . . he has so many other interests . . . and I am not even sure if their personalities would mesh either.

And as far a Cahill is concerned they tried this before and Cahill just walked away from their trial meetings in Dubai totally surprising Roger without really giving him an explanation.  (Paul Anancone cames not too long afterwards) Later it came out that it was more or less because Cahill wanted more control over where and how the training would occur . . . wanted Roger to commit to training more here in the U.S. and and in his training "backyard" . . . Roger would not give up that kind of control to any coach.  So Cahill just split from Dubai where they were negotiating and practicing without a word to Roger.  Roger said that he was surprised but didn't say much more about it. Cahill didn't talk about it for awhile either as it is banned by the tennis association rules that x-coaches talk about their relationships with their charges until a specific time has elasped (don't know exactly how long) but afterwards Cahill when he spoke of Roger always gave hight praise and was very respectful in his comments about Roger.

For know I'm sure that Rog will just be together with Severin at least until the end of the year . . . but he might have something planned for next year.

I love Roger and hope that he just continues to enjoy himself and that he have a good 2014.

Moretime,

Sarauia

#18 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:32 PM

That is quite a piece there Saraunia! You make some very valid points. I was not aware of the details but do agree with you regarding Jimmy Connors and John McEnroe.

If Roger does take on another coach it is vital that they have the sort of personality that would mesh with his existing team and not cause tensions or upset.

#19 Greg88

Greg88

Roger Federer Fans Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

Wow... that comes as a big suprise. I am eager to know who will be the next one. Is there a definitve date for that announcement?

#20 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

There's no date or set time Greg88. It's not certain whether Roger will even decide to take on another coach, he may just stick with Severin Luthi. It will be interesting to see what happens :)

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roger federer, paul annacone, coaching, rf coach, severin luthi, team RF, rf coaches

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+