• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Important clarification on whether ATP Points of Davis Cup final tie will get counted in 2013 year-end rankings or not?

davis cup atp atp points year end no 1 race wtf novak djokovic rafa nadal world no 1 2013 #1

6 replies to this topic

#1 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: Busy

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:52 AM

While discussing on the 2013 year-end ranking scenarios where in we were discussing if Rafael Nadal or Novak Djokovic will end 2013 as year-end No.1, an important issue related to Davis Cup final points (which happens to start from 15th November, 2013) came up for consideration.

As 2013 Davis Cup finals between Czech Republic and Serbia will start on Friday, 15th November, 2013, four days after the World Tour Finals, 2013 gets over. Now, the most logical & apt question is- will those ATP Points get counted in 2013 year-end Ranking points?

The following points are awarded as follows for Davis Cup Final tie :

Singles : 75 points for each match win for all live rubbers.

As, Novak Djokovic is scheduled to play at Davis Cup 2013 final tie, so, many of our visitors asked me, will Davis Cup 2013 final tie ATP Points be added in the year-end ATP Rankings?

rafole.jpg

If Djokovic wins both his singles matches vs Czech Republic, he can gain 150 points & if Team Serbia wins the Davis Cup, he will get 75 points as Team Bonus because by virtue of winning his both matches, Nole would have won 7 matches.

Now, after a careful scrutiny of ATP Rulebook & the rankings rules explained in the rulebook, I came to the following conclusions -----

(i) The Race to London rankings lasts only till the end of Bercy Masters. The Race to London Ranking and the normal Rankings get equal immediately after Bercy Masters.

Therefore, that's why in 2013 Race to London ranking points, Davis Cup final points from 2012 are getting counted.

(ii) Similarly, in the 2014 Race to London ranking points, Davis Cup final points from 2013 will get counted.

(iii) But, how ever, as per ATP rulebook, the 2013 year-end rankings will get announced on 18th November, 2013 after updating the Davis Cup final tie points of 2013 & drop-off of 2012 Davis Cup final tie.

Thus, If Djokovic wins both his singles matches vs Czech Republic, he can gain 150 points & if Team Serbia wins the Davis Cup, he will get 75 points as Team Bonus because by virtue of winning his both matches, Nole would have won 7 matches.

(iv) Similarly, in the 2014 year-end rankings, 2013 Davis Cup final points will get dropped off & 2014 Davis Cup final tie ATP points will get added.

(v) How ever, for the purpose of calculation of Top-30 commitment players for 2014, the Race or Normal ATP ranking points (which will get equal) after Bercy Masters will be considered.

(vi) Also, a few people on Google Plus & Twitter asked me- then how will ATP give the ATP Player of the year trophy during the World Tour Finals, if the Davis Cup 2013 final tie points will get added on 18th November, 2013?

That's the most important question that I wanted to discuss with all of you.

ATP Player of the year trophy is given to The player who ends the year as World No. 1 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings.

How ever, no where in the rule book or in the rules clarification is it written- that the ATP Player of the year trophy will be given during the World Tour Finals.

Its just a matter of co-incidence that during the last 12 years, year-end No. 1 ranking got decided either during the World Tour Finals or before the start of WTF & that's why the ATP Player of trophy was given during the World Tour Finals.

How ever, if the year-end No.1 isn't decided till the end of World Tour Finals, 2013 or in other words, if Novak Djokovic will be with in reach of Rafa Nadal's ATP Points post the World Tour Finals, 2013 tournament final match, then this award will not be given during WTF's.

The award in that case will be decided post Davis Cup final tie & the trophy will be handed over to the player who so ever ends 2013 year-end No. 1.

Hope, this clarifies all your doubts, in vase of any other doubt, feel free to drop in a comment below.

Will Rafael Nadal or Novak Djokovic end 2013 as year-end ATP World No. 1?

1383591_616838118359424_352789234_n.jpg

For in-depth discussion on all scenarios, see this detailed article by me right here.

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#2 V.K. Batra

V.K. Batra

Editor In Chief

• Moderators
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDelhi:: Karnal:: Sydney:: Chandigarh

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:11 AM

Just to explain you all with last year's examples ----

This how ATP rankings looked like immediately after World Tour Finals 2012 got over on 12th November, 2012---- 

(5 days before Davis Cup finals between Spain & Czech Republic)

nov12.png

& This is how ATP rankings looked like immediately after Davis Cup finals on 19th November, 2012---- 

(Czech Republic won 3-2 vs Spain)

nov19.png

David Ferrer won both his singles match, but, had won 1 last year (in 2011) also in the finals, so, Ferru had a net gain of 75 points.

Tomas Berdych won one singles match in the finals, so TB also gained 75 points in the year-end ranking.

Thus, year-end rankings are the ranking points which are calculated after taking in to account the Davis Cup final tie points.

#3 Pati Torre

Pati Torre

Roger Federer Fans Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

It seems now It's ok! I'm so happy I found your page!!! Thank you!

#4 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:25 AM

From here on the discussion involving World Tour Finals, 2013 & Davis Cup 2013 finals has moved to a newer topic & here's the link -------

http://www.rogerfede...-wtf-davis-cup/

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#5 Guest_Greg Stein_*

Guest_Greg Stein_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:13 AM

You may be wrong. I note that the year end ranking points for 2008 were published on November 16, 2008, whereas the Davis Cup finals were not until the 28th.

#6 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:43 PM

You may be wrong. I note that the year end ranking points for 2008 were published on November 16, 2008, whereas the Davis Cup finals were not until the 28th.

Read the ATP Rule book that came in to place post 2008 & you will get your answer... I have explained every thing in details in my posts above...

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#7 Guest_Vijaylakshmi Shetty_*

Guest_Vijaylakshmi Shetty_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:26 AM

Where in the ATP rulebook does it say that year end ranking is decided after the Davis Cup final?

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: davis cup, atp, atp points, year end no 1, race, wtf, novak djokovic, rafa nadal, world no 1, 2013 #1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+