• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Breaking News: Tomas Berdych has qualified for ATP Barclays World Tour Finals, 2013

tomas berdych wtf 2013 world tour finals 2013 final showdown atp wtf london O2 O2 2013 london 2013 stan wawrinka ivo karlovic edouard roger vasselin swiss indoors basel 2013

2 replies to this topic

#1 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,586 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:55 AM

Today, Swiss Indoors, Basel witnessed two big upsets. The local Stan Wawrinka lost in the 1st round vs Edouard Roger-Vasselin 6-4, 6-3 and later, Tomas Berdych lost 6-4, 6-7, 6-7 against Ivo Karlovic.

But, after Stan Wawrinka's defeat one thing that became 100% sure is that Tomas Berdcyh has now qualified for World Tour Finals, 2013.

b_30AUG13_8291_berdych_pete.jpg

Tomas Berdych in picture became the 5th man (after Andy Murray's withdrawal) to qualify for World Tour Finals, 2013

As ATP is yet to announce the news officially, so, for the kind reference of all our readers, I will give a small explanation explaining how, not more than 3 players can surpass Tomas Berdych's tally of 3800 points.

As, I explained in my previous post where in I had discussed about the last 4 spots available for World Tour Finals, 2013, here are the live ATP race ranking points updated after Wawrinka's loss & Berdych's defeat ----

Tomas Berdych - 3800 points

Roger Federer - 3150 points at the time of start of Basel (&after his 1st round win, 3190 points)

Stan Wawrinka-  3145 points (updated after 1st round loss vs Edouard Roger Vasselin)

Richard Gasquet-  3120 points

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga --- 3055 points

Next up is Tommy Haas with 2425 points

Now, let us discuss three scenarios :

(i) Roger Federer loses in the finals of Basel, 2013 & reaches the semi-finals of Bercy, 2013, Federer will be on 3805 points.

Gasquet wins Basel, 2013 title (will get a net gain of only 410 points because of best of 6 non masters tournaments can be added) & reaches semi-finals of Bercy (360 points), Gasquet will get to 3890 points.

Wawrinka wins Bercy, Wawrinka will get to 4145 points

& Tsonga reaches the finals of Bercy tournament, Tsonga will reach 3655 points only.

Even, then Tomas Berdych will be ahead of Tsonga & sure to have his place booked in World Tour Finals, 2013

(ii) Roger Federer loses in the finals of Basel, 2013 & reaches the semi-finals of Bercy, 2013, Federer will be on 3805 points.

Gasquet wins Basel, 2013 title (will get a net gain of only 410 points because of best of 6 non masters tournaments can be added) & reaches semi-finals of Bercy (360 points), Gasquet will get to 3890 points.

Wawrinka loses Bercy final match, Wawrinka will get to 3745 points

& Tsonga wins Bercy Masters tournament, Tsonga will reach 4055 points.

Even, then Tomas Berdych will be ahead of Wawrinka & sure to have his place booked in World Tour Finals, 2013.

Thus, one thing that is 100% clear from these scenarios is that only Roger Federer & Richard Gasquet can get ahead of Tomas Berdych if they both do not happen to win or reach the finals of Bercy Masters, 2013.

Also, Tsonga or Wawrinka can get ahead of Berdych's points only if they win Bercy Masters, 2013 title as even after losing the final, will take neither take Wawrinka nor Tsonga ahead of Berdych's points.

iii) The last discussion that we need to do here is of Tommy Haas. He practically can win both Valencia Open & Bercy Masters.

If Tommy Haas wins Valencia Open, 2013, he too will have a net gain of 410 points only (because of counting of best of 6 tournaments rule) & get to 2835 points only.

Even, Tommy Haas can get ahead of Tomas Berdych only if Tommy Haas wins Bercy Masters, 2013.

In all mathematical scenarios that are possible, maximum of only 3 players can get ahead of Tomas Berdych.

Thus, Tomas Berdych has 100% confirmed his place at World Tour Finals, 2013.

For persons who rely on ATP's announcement, I can only say that ATP will perhaps announce this on Wednesday :). So, do remember, where you read this news firstly :).

So, now only 3 places are left for World Tour Finals, 2013. Will Roger Federer or Stan Wawrinka or Gasquet or Tsonga or Haas make up for these last 3 spots?

To get the answer to this question, see this detailed post right here.

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#2 Tennis Lover

Tennis Lover

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:25 PM

Great academic post as always, Prof. V. You should be a professional tennis statistician. :)

#3 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,586 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:43 PM

So, finally after almost 20 hours of me publishing, promoting this news like a jungle fire, ATP finally realized that Tomas Berdcyh has qualified. Good going, ATPWorldTour :)...

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tomas berdych, wtf 2013, world tour finals 2013, final showdown, atp wtf, london O2, O2 2013, london 2013, stan wawrinka, ivo karlovic, edouard roger vasselin, swiss indoors, basel 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+