• Create Account

Photo
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Roger Federer play Davis Cup in 2014? (60 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Roger Federer play Davis Cup in 2014?

1. Yes (76 votes [19.79%])

Percentage of vote: 19.79%

2. No (298 votes [77.60%])

Percentage of vote: 77.60%

3. Can't Say (10 votes [2.60%])

Percentage of vote: 2.60%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:24 AM

Hey all,

Last week, while discussing about Roger Federer's proposed 2014 Tennis schedule, I discussed how I got feedback from all my Facebook, Twitter, G plus mates to discuss if Roger Federer should play Davis Cup in 2014 or not?

But, since the results of that unofficial poll was hard to be compiled at one place, so, I am hereby starting a new poll, feel free to participate in the poll or drop a comment below to let the whole world know, what you think, should Roger Federer play Davis Cup in 2014 or not?

Okay, before we start the discussion, let us quickly have a look at a petition which a website CartonRouge.ch & an agency named 'Pardon Madame' started on Cartonrouge.ch website.

The petition is titled, "Go Roger, bring the Davis Cup bowl."

RTEmagicC_RODG.jpg.jpg

An edit by CartonRouge in association with Pardon Madame showing Roger Federer with an enlarged Davis Cup title trophy

Let me clarify in clear words, I am neither associated with CartonRouge in any way, nor I am connected with Pardon Madame in any way. I have been a big critic of this petition & was the first to tweet against them as soon as this petition was started.

As per their latest Facebook post, they have got 500+ petition signatories till now & in their petition, where in they are requesting Federer to play Davis Cup in 2014, they have stated that since Stan Wawrinka is now a top 10 player, so, Roger Federer along with Wawrinka could have won Davis Cup easily had team SUI (Switzerland) defeated Czech Republic in February, 2013 as even Wawrinka defeated Tomas Berdych thrice in 2013.

The arguments given by them asking Roger Federer to play in 2014 Davis Cup ::

(i) Stan Wawrinka being in Top form & if Czech Republic could win Davis Cup with just two players (Tomas Berdych & Radek Stepanek), so can Team Switzerland.

(ii) Federer has won every thing except Davis Cup, so, he should try to win Davis Cup in 2014 as that will further enhance his status as the greatest Swiss Sporting Icon.

(iii) Federer in 2009 had described Davis Cup as being of utmost importance to him, so, he should try to win it in 2014.

Now, let us have a quick look at the past performances of Roger Federer in Davis Cup since his Davis Cup debut in 1999 ---

feddy%20rain.jpg

In the last 15 years, Roger Federer has played 39 singles & 19 Doubles matches winning 43 of those 58 matches

Roger Federer has played Davis Cup every year (except 2010 & 2013) since his Davis Cup debut in 1999. You read it right, in the last 15 years, Roger Federer has played Davis Cup for Team Switzerland for 13 years.

Yes, there have been occasional ties which Roger Federer has missed because of back issues (1st round ties in 2009, 2007, 2006, 2005).

To make it simple for you all, Team Switzerland has played 30 Ties in the last 15 years & Roger Federer has played in 22 of those. You can see the entire record of Roger Federer at all Davis Cup ties on the official website of Davis Cup right here.

Since, his debut in 1999, Roger Federer has played in 74% of the ties that Team Switzerland has played in these last 15 years.

All these above stats prove that Federer has given his full commitment to Davis Cup & all those critics who question him on those issues, should please do a fact check & then comment.

In February, 2013, ITF announced a Davis Cup commitment award to Roger Federer. Read more about it here.

Should Roger Federer play in Davis Cup 2014?

As we discussed above, for a man who has given so much recognition, fame to Swiss Tennis, this decision should be solely taken by Roger Federer. No PR agency even if it is based in Switzerland has the right to put pressure on Roger Federer by putting up such petitions as we discussed above.

Here are the arguments which according to me are the biggest hurdles in Roger Federer deciding to play Davis Cup in 2014 -

(i) The 1st Round of Davis Cup starts from 31st January, 2014 or just 4 days after Australian Open. Roger Federer will be starting the 2014 season from Brisbane International starting from 30th December, 2013.

So, Federer will be reaching Australia at least 3 or 4 days before the start of Brisbane International. If Federer manages to reach the finals of Australian Open, 2014, that would mean a stay of almost 30 days in Australia from 26th December, 2013 to 26th January, 2014.

As Switzerland will be playing 1st Round tie vs Serbia at Belgrade, so traveling all the way to Belgrade after an one month stay won't be an easy task.

(ii) The 2nd Round of Davis Cup is from 4th April to 6th April, 2014. That means, the 2nd Round of Davis Cup is 19 days after Indian Wells or just 4 days after Miami Masters. Though, as we have been discussing in the proposed 2014 schedule of Roger Federer, he is unlikely to play in Miami in 2014, so, if Team Switzerland manages to reach 2nd Round, that would mean that it would be impossible for Roger Federer to have a break after Indian Wells.

(iii) Though, Roger Federer showed signs of returning back to full fitness during his performances at Basel, Bercy Masters & World Tour Finals, 2013, but, his back pain issue still is a big enough issue to be considered while thinking about playing in Davis Cup in 2014.

Though, as I said above, no one other than Roger Federer has the right to take decision on whether he should play at Davis Cup, 2014 or not, but, in my humble opinion, it will be better if Roger Federer decides to skip Davis Cup or takes the decision to play in the 1st Round of Davis Cup, 2014 after seeing how he is feeling while playing in the initial matches at Australian Open, 2014.

Roger Federer was asked the question of having Davis Cup in his schedule during the World Group play off tie vs Netherlands in September, 2012 & he had stated, "My schedule is always open for Davis Cup, though, I don't know, if I am 100% sure to play. I'm not 23 any more, a lot happening in my life. So, have to prioritize."

What do you guys think, should Federer play Davis Cup, 2014? Do participate in the poll & feel free to comment below.

Update: On 28th December, 2013, schedule has been released & Roger Federer won't be playing Davis Cup in 2014.

See the whole schedule right here.

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#2 Guest_Madelon_*

Guest_Madelon_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

I get that the schedule is complicated and he has to make some though choices but for us swiss people it would be amazing to at least try to win the Davis Cup and see the best player ever playing for the national team! We would love to see him play all the rounds and let's face it there won't be a lot of occasions! I have seen Fed play twice in Davis Cup matches and it was AMAZING! So yes, i would like him to participate next year even though it's maybe à bit selfish from us (swiss) fans to ask him that as it may not be great for his year and the other tournaments.. That being said i have not sign the pétition because i feel it puts some kind of pressure on him and isn't a great idea..

#3 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationPerched on a Comfy Chair - UK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:54 PM

Personally I think that it would be very risky for Roger to play the Davis Cup this year. If he was 23, no problem, but at his time of life, as he has said himself, he has to schedule more carefully. With the Davis Cup following on so quickly after Brisbane and the Australian Open it could well pose a credible risk to his back, specially if he has done well and reached the final rounds in Australia.

What worries me is that Roger is such a genuinely nice and caring guy, that this CartonRouge.ch petition could put undue pressure on him and he will feel obliged to compete against his better judgement.

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#4 Rita

Rita

Roger Federer Fans 2nd Grand Slam Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Current mood: Fine

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:00 PM

Actually, I wish they'd abandon the Davis Cup altogether. It seems to cause havoc with a lot of players' schedules, and tennis is not basically a team sport.

As for Roger, well I haven't signed any petition either and wouldn't dream of doing so.  He should play if he wants to - simple as that.  No pressure should be put on any player to compete.

#5 Tennis Lover

Tennis Lover

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:38 PM

I'd say let other young players play most of the matches and if they get to the important stage, maybe they can get Federer for just 1 single's match and maybe the double's match. They can't impose too much of a physical burden on Federer at this stage of his career. Davis Cup matches are 5 setters. It would be too risky to play Roger for every single stage when he is trying to revive his career.

#6 Inez

Inez

Featured Columnist

• Moderators-
  • 395 posts
  • LocationBarcelona, Spain

Current mood: Cool

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:51 PM

An amazing write-up.

I see a lot of people including Swiss people & many Internet Tennis trolls whining over the fact that Roger Federer hasnt been serious in playing Davis Cus, but, how well, you compiled the data depicting that Federer has played in 22 ties of the last 30.

If playing in 74% of the ties isn't full hearted commitment, I am afraid, I dont know, what more do people want for commitment. Two more factors that

I wanted to add in the list of factors that go against Federer decides against playing Davis Cup:

(i) Coming back from hot conditions of Melbourne (temp being close to 35 to 40) straight to Belgrade, where the temperature will be close to 0 degrees, I know, the davis cup tie will be played Indoors, but, still, the weather change besides Temperature is a big enough factor in my opinion.

(ii) I wish to ask the people who said, 4 week-end isnt a big deal? People think that players can reach on Thursdays & play straight from Friday? So, u need a full week for Davis Cup, players normally tend to reach by Monday or Tuesday & need 3-4 days to get used to the climate, conditions, court surface & different countries etc. Its difficult for Federer to find 4 weeks now.

Though, I need to add, I am not a Swiss & that's helping me to speak against playing at Davis Cup also. Let us see, what he decides.

Though, I am sure, he is the last person to be pressurized by any petitions or what other people say.

I am available on -----

Twitter | G Plus | FB | Read my posts via E-mail Subscription

#7 Anna

Anna

Featured Columnist

• Moderators-
  • 469 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:29 PM

Well, I agree to every thing you said. Your detailed write-up about commitment for playing at Davis Cup in the last 14 years was so well explained with facts & figures.

I wish to add two more things here:

(i) I saw many people criticizing Stan Wawrinka after he commented & retweeted a few tweets in which he expressed his desire of seeing Roger Federer play in the Davis Cup, 2014. Well, to be fair, he has the full right to be disappointed & I don't blame him in any way. Even, if I was in place of Stan Warinka or the people who criticize Stan, need to realize that they would have been disppointed/sad just like Stan would have been.

(ii) After Richard Krajicek confirmed that Roger Federer won't play in Rotterdam, 2014, one thing that I am almost sure is of that Federer will play in the 1st Round vs Serbia in Belgrade.

But, as you said, I am not sure, how will he play the 2nd round tie that will start from 4th April, 2014 & will be against the winner of Belgium/Kajasthan.

So, lets see, what he decides.

Follow my posts on--

Twitter | Google Plus | Facebook | My posts via E-mail

#8 Kristina

Kristina

Featured Columnist

• Moderators-
  • 282 posts
  • LocationLondon

Current mood: Grumpy

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:23 PM

Absolute great explanation as always. So, well explained about the petition, points that they argue about, the negatives in having Davis Cup in his schedule. This is what I call a true independent analysis, without taking any side & at the same time, expressing your view. Well, my view, again from a non Swiss point of view is that, its too risky to play DavisCup in 2014 for him & I would hope, that even, if he takes the decision to play in the 1st Round, he should take the decision after analyzing how he feels after playing the first four matches in Brisbane.
If you like my posts, then please follow me to ensure that you don't miss any of the posts via-----

E-mail Subscription | Twitter | G Plus | FB |

#9 Guest_ciscus48_*

Guest_ciscus48_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:41 PM

YES HE WHIL

#10 Roger@Sw19

Roger@Sw19

Roger Federer Fans Newbie

• Members +
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Current mood: Lonely

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:24 PM

Regarding the 2'nd point in the initial Post...

If Swiss win agianst Serbia..then Roger has no need to play that Quarterfinal...Wawrinka is more than enough to win that tie against Belgium or Kazakastan...Its against Serbia that Roger need to play..Then he can relax till semis for sure..

#11 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:55 AM

Regarding the 2'nd point in the initial Post...

If Swiss win agianst Serbia..then Roger has no need to play that Quarterfinal...Wawrinka is more than enough to win that tie against Belgium or Kazakastan...Its against Serbia that Roger need to play..Then he can relax till semis for sure..

Last time, Switzerland played Kazakhstan in September, 2010. Any guesses, what was the score line? Team SUI lost 5-0, Stan lost his singles & doubles.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#12 Rita

Rita

Roger Federer Fans 2nd Grand Slam Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:08 AM

Last time, Switzerland played Kazakhstan in September, 2010. Any guesses, what was the score line? Team SUI lost 5-0, Stan lost his singles & doubles.

Also, it's not really fair to put everything on Stan's shoulders.  He is also trying to make a career don't forget.  

#13 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:27 AM

Also, it's not really fair to put everything on Stan's shoulders.  He is also trying to make a career don't forget.  

I agree with u. In the above comment, I was informing about SUI-KAZ davis cup world group play off tie in September, 2010. Stan was very unlucky in that 5 setter match.

That's why, as Anna above said & I gotta add to what she said above, the only person who has the right to be sad or disturbed about Federer's decision not to play at Davis Cup has to be Stan Wawrinka.

Many people were getting angry on Wawrinka after he openly spoke against RF's decision not to play Davis Cup in 2013, I could understand what Stan is going through.

He even requested Roger personally to play Davis Cup, so, as a friend, he had the full right to be sad & also a bit angry.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#14 Guest_Anna Sazarin_*

Guest_Anna Sazarin_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:53 AM

I am in agreement with your comments above.  Federer is the ONLY ONE who should decide if he plays Davis Cup or not.  In my personal opinion, he should NOT go to Serbia.  Although Stan the Man has improved . . . and is likely at his peak . . . if you watched closely during the Master in London, he was not that convincing in the end.  And I saw him live at Basel where he folded in the first round against someone he should not have lost to . . . but the always gets a bit nervous playing and home.  Bottom line, he and Roger alone is not enough to win a Davis Cup Trophy yet . . .

unless there is an exceptional amount of luck involved.  These are just the EGOS of people who are putting there on interest above that of Roger.  I know Roger will make the right decision . . . and he will likely leave the door open for the possibility of playing Davis Cup.  But a lot of things would have to happen and likely things that we as Fed Fans DO NOT wish to happen . . .

e.g.if he, for example, loses early in Brisbane and.or the  Australian Open . . . giving him the free time and necessary energy to head to Serbia.  Let's hope this is not the case and he is tired after the Aussie Open from winning so many matches there and at Brisbane.  Second, the Serbs really have shown their dislike for Roger over many years . . . and mainly due to the fact that their guy Novak was having so much trouble for years beating him and breaking away from that Number 3 spot behind Roger and Rafa. 

They oddly enough blamed Roger for Novak's woes . . . also they have not forgotten that 2011  beaten Roger gave Novak in the Semis at Roland Garros depriving him of the Calendar Grand Slam.  In the end . . . it's all about Roger and what he decides to do.  He's given so much already.  And if this petition is coming from Swiss Fans .  .  . they should be ashamed. 

Actually, I remember how long it took for the Swiss (given there general low regard for sports & sports figures as "people of greatness") to even warm up to and support Roger.  I've gone now 4 times to the Swiss Indoors Tournament . . . I was there this year . . . the Fans now of course love him for the most part . . .

at least when he's winning . . . . but sometimes the papers will be very hard on him when he starts to lose.  However, this year there was a 5-minute ovation for Roger at the Swiss Indoors . . . I'm sure you all recall that.  IT WAS AMAZING.

And lucky for me . . . after Roger beat Dimitrov in the semis and after his getting dressed and his presser etc, I was there to get a picture with him.  CHECK IT OUT BELOW . . . . I really love Roger . . . like he's the luv of my life and I would NEVER want to impress upon him that he should do this or do that . . . . I say FORGET DAVIS CUP . . . or play if you decide to Rog . . . IT'S  ALL UP TO YOU.

Check out my pic . . . Roger is sooooooooooooooo peRFect . . . he just pulled me pass his bodyguards and took this pic . . . I just LOVE IT !

Anna Sazarin

ebf6a2fec0e0338ad123a6d794dfa0be.jpeg

#15 Tennis Lover

Tennis Lover

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:54 AM

Wawrinka has more confidence in him now and he is a different player from what he was in 2010. However, he faces similar problem to what Federer used to have, which is lack of strong backup. Roger and Stan are the only players in top 100 and the next guy in the rankings is Chiudinelli at 174, followed by Laaksonen, a 21-yo youngster, who's ranked at 243. Because of this, I think Federer will play in majority of the ties. I think Federer should play in both singles and doubles rubbers v Serbia, and then play only doubles with Wawrinka in the next round against Belgium or Kazhakstan. Against Serbia, Swiss need their best players. They should try to win this while Wawrinka is in top form. Federer must know that it is a rare opportunity for him this year having another countryman in top 10 and this could be his last realistic chance to win Davis Cup.

In the next round, I think Wawrinka should be able to win both his singles matches. Federer can team up with him in the doubles which takes less energy to play. Also, he may choose to play the reverse singles rubber if Switzerland is still behind after the doubles match that way.

#16 Guest_Anna aka Saraunia_*

Guest_Anna aka Saraunia_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

Roger is 32 going on 33 . . . he can pick and chose when and if he plays.  I know he would love to be able to do it all but he knows his limitations. And as  I am with him whatever he choses.  If it were me making the decision, I would say no.  Until David Cup owners finally listen to the players who want a playoff everyother year . . . I say forget Davis Cup . . . !  They are just capitalist who refuse to accept the fact that the demands of tennis plalyers these days is ridiculous and Davis Cup is like a whole additoinal league with all the playoffs and traveling . . . plus it would have more credibility and interests by neutral tennis fans.  Davis Cup and Fed Cup finals should be held every other year . . . period!

#17 Guest_Ibrahim Ahmed_*

Guest_Ibrahim Ahmed_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:14 AM

No .... he will not play at Davis cup 2014

#18 Guest_Flo_*

Guest_Flo_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:37 AM

Yes

#19 Guest_Marina Garcia Vasco_*

Guest_Marina Garcia Vasco_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:15 PM

Roger is the only one that can decide for his best performance for the other tournaments as well!!!I always love to watch him play I think he is simply the best!!!!!!

#20 Guest_wendy baker_*

Guest_wendy baker_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:46 PM

Actually, I wish they'd abandon the Davis Cup altogether. It seems to cause havoc with a lot of players' schedules, and tennis is not basically a team sport.

As for Roger, well I haven't signed any petition either and wouldn't dream of doing so.  He should play if he wants to - simple as that.  No pressure should be put on any player to compete.

Agree Rita. It has always favoured those countries who have a string of players to choose from: i.e. Spain, France and Czech, because they've always had Berdych, and Stepanek, v. strong doubles player), and disadvantaged those countries who have just one good player (e.g. Britain, just Murray, and initially Switzerland [before Wawrinka really appeared on the scene]. And expectation for the top players to take part puts immense pressure on them which I think is deeply unfair.

As pointed out Federer has more than done his bit over the years. He needs now to be careful with the back problem; overplaying could ruin any chance he has to grab another slam.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Roger Federer, davis cup, davis cup 2014, team sui, switzerland 2014, switzerland davis cup, team sui dc 2014, roger federer davis cup records, davis cup records, davis cup commitment award

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+