• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 7 votes

Will Roger Federer use Wilson 98 prototype racket in 2014?

roger federer wilson 98 prototype 2014 season 2014 racket wilson tennis 2013 off season federer racket

19 replies to this topic

#1 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,586 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:59 AM

Hey All,

We still are 21 days away from the start of 2014 Tennis season. 2014 season starts from 30th December, 2013 with the first tournament of the season being the Brisbane International.

As you all know, Roger Federer will be starting his 2014 Tennis season by playing at the Suncorp Brisbane International 2014.

Roger Federer has been training in Dubai since 20th November, 2013.

6mwq.jpg

A picture tweeted from Roger Federer's official twitter id on 20th November, 2013

The biggest question that almost every fan of Roger Federer wants to know is that will he use the bigger Prototype 98 racket or will he stick to his tried & tested Wilson Pro Staff 90 Racket?

If you missed out our discussion on Roger Federer's Prototype 98 racket & Wilson Pro Staff 90 racket & the benefits of using a larger racket head, you can read it right here.

What Roger Federer had to say about testing the bigger racket heads in 2014?

Roger Federer in an interview to Credit Suisse recently stated that he will test the Tennis rackets with bigger head in 2014. The two tournaments where in he tried the Wilson Prototype 98 rackets (Hamburg Open, 2013 & Swiss Open, Gstaad 2013), he couldn't play properly because of back issues.

39d41a91a940d65ea2cb46aa3b9d7ef9_zpsb957

File Picture of Roger Federer practicing with his Wilson Prototype 98 racket at Hamburg Open in July, 2013

Roger Federer in July, 2013 after the shock defeat at Wimbledon, 2013 decided to try this prototype racket. How ever, after testing the racket at Hamburg Open & Swiss Open, Gstaad in July, 2013, Federer decided to abandon the use of the protype & switched back to playing with his old ProStaff 90 initially till the end of US Open, 2013 & then post US Open, decided that he will play the whole of 2013 season with his old tried & tested ProStaff 90 Racket.

Roger Federer today posted a picture of his practice session

g4uz.jpg

A closer look at this picture tells us that ----

585e.jpg

The shaft & frame(look at the video below) of the racket is clearly black colored & as seen above, in most likelihood will be Prototype 98 racket.

Another picture from Roger Federer's practice session at Meydan Tennis Academy, Dubai

mwsi.jpg

Here's a short video clip of Roger Federer's practice session at Meydan Tennis academy, Dubai as posted by Adolfo Gomez on InstaGram

Even, the evidence from this video seems to suggest that Federer is testing the Prototype 98 Wilson racket & it now, looks almost certain that he will use the racket at Brisbane International, 2014 (his first tournament of 2014 Tennis season).

What do you think, is it a right move or should Federer stick back to his tried & tested ProStaff 90 Wilson racquet?

For an in-dept detailed discussion on Roger Federer's Prototype 98 racket & Wilson Pro Staff 90 racket & the benefits of using a larger racket head, you can read it right here.

For a detailed discussion on Roger Federer's proposed 2014 Tennis calendar, click here.

Will Roger Federer play Davis Cup in 2014? For a detailed in-depth discussion & a poll, click here.

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#2 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:06 AM

Here's the video link of Federer hitting with his Prototype 98 racket Video Credit: Adolfo Gomez (pin7er on Instagram)

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#3 Tennis Lover

Tennis Lover

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:23 AM

He won't use it unless he is sure the new racquet is better than the old one, so if he changes, that will be a good move. It will be, however, a bad news for Pro Staff as Federer was the walking advertisement board for Pro Staff series. That racquet is not easy to use, so if Federer drops it, people may not buy it any longer which could lead to the extinction of that series. Anyway, from what past tennis greats said, modern racquet technology should help rejuvenate Federer's career and let's hope the new racquet will bring back some of the best years for Federer.

#4 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,171 posts
  • LocationPerched on a Comfy Chair - UK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:12 PM

That was a crafty picture posted by Roger on Twitter with his body almost obscuring the tell tale signs that he was not practicing with his usual Pro Staff 90 racquet. Maybe a tester to see which sharp eyed fans would spot the clue ;)

Here is another photo of Roger practicing in Dubai.

1395115_634736959903256_323855198_n.jpg?

With the very encouraging end to the 2013 season and his back issues hopefully resolved, I think it would be a good move to use the Prototype 98 racquet. It will be very interesting to see what he walks out with at Brisbane.

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection personified

#5 Rita

Rita

Roger Federer Fans 2nd Grand Slam Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Current mood: Fine

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:11 PM

From the video he seems to be moving well, and that's important too!   I just don't know how you can all tell which racquet he's using from such obscure pictures (obscure of the racquet anyway).   So anyway, if he can get along with it I think it would be great if he used the new racquet at Brisbane.  Maybe he went back to the old one this year just because he missed quite a lot when he tried it in Hamburg and Gstaad and felt there wasn't enough time between tournaments in 2013 to really work with it.  I had wondered if he would try an intermediate size first as 98 sq. inch is quite a big switch for him.  

All in all good news I think, and I'm happy that Roger is sounding and looking so positive in his interviews and tweets.  I'm really looking forward to Brisbane.

#6 chris90

chris90

Roger Federer Fans 100 Title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:28 PM

i agree with you rita but he lost that point in the video (i'm not quite sure if the ball was ir o not). I don't know who was on the other side of the net but i'm a little bit worried. Nevertheless, he is moving well and he is trying a larger racket what proves that he wants to get better and win tournaments. That gives me hope and i'm really looking forward to seeing him playing and winning atp titles and GS :D

#7 Guest_sportmac_*

Guest_sportmac_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:03 AM

let's hope so. he's playing with a 30 year old racquet! size wise anyway.

i remember connors saying he should have changed years before he did and pete went on the seniors tour with a new bigger frame. 

there's no turning back age. that fraction of a second slower means a fraction of a second later and when you have such a small sweet spot that translates into framing the ball.  i see pictures of some of these guys contacting the ball way out there and it's a good shot. for fed it would be a shank. 

you can bet that with today's technology that wilson has made a frame that is really really REALLY close to playing and feeling just like his old one. he just needs to stick with it.

#8 Niraperky

Niraperky

Roger Federer Fans 100 Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Current mood: Cheerful

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:29 PM

I also agree with Rita. He seems to have regained his confidence which is vital, moving with more ease and see him sharper.
I truly feel that he should try the Wilson as I don't think going back and forth with racquets is an advantage. Last year was exceptional with his pains.

#9 Guest_Federer Fan_*

Guest_Federer Fan_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:09 AM

I Love Wilson Blade 98 <3 :wub:

If Roger play with Wilson blade 98 .. I'm Sure that he won Australian open 2014 :)

#10 Guest_Andri60_*

Guest_Andri60_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:50 PM

Very sorry, my fiend, i don't have seen this thread.
Thanks again and best regards

#11 Tennis Lover

Tennis Lover

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

It's not Wilson Blade though. It's a totally new frame.

#12 Guest_maximus_*

Guest_maximus_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:11 AM

federer should use the new prostaff 95 or 95s

#13 Guest_MMG_*

Guest_MMG_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:40 PM

switching to a larger recket i OK but Roger must also work on his backhand. it is doable to adjust the style of his one-handed backhand for dealing with high balls

#14 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 2,565 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

Here another video of Clip of Roger Federer practicing with new racquet (Prototype), Australian Open 2014 Shoes..

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#15 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,171 posts
  • LocationPerched on a Comfy Chair - UK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:28 PM

Here's the video, Roger posted on his Facebook yesterday, where he is doing fitness training on court with Pierre Pagnini on the sidelines

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection personified

#16 moodyboogie

moodyboogie

Roger Federer Fans 250 Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:17 PM

Here`s a great article with some insight from Roger himself:

http://www.courierma...t-1226788060170

Roger seems to has the right  type of mindset, the type that brings you trophies. How you guys feel about Roger in 2014, anyone will attempt to make any predictions?

#17 Guest_Evian_*

Guest_Evian_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:56 PM

From the video he seems to be moving well, and that's important too!   I just don't know how you can all tell which racquet he's using from such obscure pictures (obscure of the racquet anyway).   So anyway, if he can get along with it I think it would be great if he used the new racquet at Brisbane.  Maybe he went back to the old one this year just because he missed quite a lot when he tried it in Hamburg and Gstaad and felt there wasn't enough time between tournaments in 2013 to really work with it.  I had wondered if he would try an intermediate size first as 98 sq. inch is quite a big switch for him.  

All in all good news I think, and I'm happy that Roger is sounding and looking so positive in his interviews and tweets.  I'm really looking forward to Brisbane.

I think he should have tried an intermediate frame like a 93 sqin first. The 98 sqin switch is a big jump. But he knows best I guess. He is the pro after all and stuff like this come as a second instinct.

#18 Guest_Evian_*

Guest_Evian_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

At least Roger wont have to sweat out the overheads anymore with a larger sweetspot.

#19 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:50 AM

Roger Federer in an interview to Andreas W Schmid confirmed that, he will be using Wilson 98 Prototype racket at Brisbane  & Australian Open, 2014, read more about it right here.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#20 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

Also, in an interview to ESPN after 3rd Round of Aus Open, Roger Federer told about his 98 sq inches racket to Brad Gilbert. Here's the video ----

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roger federer, wilson 98, prototype, 2014 season, 2014 racket, wilson tennis, 2013 off season, federer racket

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+