#1 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: Busy

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:35 PM

Novak Djokovic today appointed Boris Becker as his head coach for the 2014 season. Novak Djokovic stated, "I am really excited to have the opportunity to work with Boris. He is a true legend. Becker is a great man, brilliant person & will easily fit in our team."

boom boom noleeeeeeeeee.jpg

File picture of Boris Becker & Novak Djokovic at Novak Djokovic's foundation gala at London in 2013

Pic by Richard Young / Rex Features

Boris Becker speaking after the appointment stated, "I'm proud that Djokovic contacted me to be his coach.I'll do everything i can to help him to win more GS and titles."

Future of Marian Vajda?

Marian Vajda has been the head coach of Novak Djokovic since June, 2006. He has been instrumental in Djokovic's career growth over these last 8 years.

Though, its not yet confirmed if Vajda will continue as a coach of Djokovic for the full the 2014 season, but, Vajda will be a part of Djokovic's coaching team for Australian Open, 2014.

After the exit of Dusan Vemic from the coaching team of Djokovic in August, 2013, Novak Djokovic has been in the look out for a new face in his team.

They had tried Wojtek Fibak as a consultant at US Open in 2013 & decided not to continue with Fibak after US Open.

Speaking to Serbian media after Boris Becker's appointment, Marian Vajda welcomed the selection of Boris Becker, "Becker as Head coach is a good choice because Djokovic will have the chance to further enhance his game and I will get more time with my family."

Thus, it remains to be seen if Vajda will be available for the full 2014 season or part of it? To know more about team Djokovic & who exactly are a part of coaching/support Team of Novak Djokovic, click here.

In another interesting news, Roger Federer yesterday tweeted that he and his childhood hero Stefan Edberg completed a week's training. Rumors going around in the Tennis world seem to suggest that Stefan Edberg might join Roger Federer as a coach in 2014?

If Edberg joins Federer & with Becker now a part of Team Djokovic & Ivan Lendl already an integral part of Andy Murray's team, we will get to see the famous trivalry of 1980's back in action in 2014 as a part of the coaching team.

What do you have to say on the Becker-Djokovic story and how true are the rumors of Stefan Edberg joining Roger Federer as a coach?

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#2 Tennis Lover

Tennis Lover

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:20 PM

Shocking. Vajda has been with Novak all these years and now Novak is opting for Boris. I hope this is a right decision.

#3 Guest_gloria flanagan_*

Guest_gloria flanagan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

It;s still Nole who will be the one on the court!  
Time will tell if it's a good move or not, personally not a fan of Nole but makes for a interesting season esp. if Roger brings Edberg aboard his team!
Maybe a fresh new take is just what both Nole & Roger need to start winning again ( esp. Roger)

#4 Inez

Inez

Featured Columnist

• Moderators-
  • 395 posts
  • LocationBarcelona, Spain

Current mood: Cool

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:42 AM

I'm a bit perturbed why every one is writing off Becker? Agreed, he hasnt been a part of any coaching team, but, still, its not that, he has completely lost all Tennis knowledge or skills. I believe, he can offer a lot to Djokovic. Also, Vajda will be travelling to almost all major tournaments.
I am available on -----

Twitter | G Plus | FB | Read my posts via E-mail Subscription

#5 moodyboogie

moodyboogie

Roger Federer Fans 500 Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:26 PM

Here Fed elaborates a little bit more on his collaboration with great Stefan Edberg:

"He left on Monday. I had contacted a few weeks ago to ask if he could consider spending a little time with us. He was my idol and I wanted to have his eyes. He is not a coach. But he still plays three times a week. He failed to see us on a tournament but eventually we thought it was better to wait and let him come here instead, away from everything. It was interesting for me and Seve (Lüthi). And Michael Lammer who is also with us. To spend time with him was pretty amazing actually."

"He has a completely different look. Ok, I'm new in here. I would like to tell you this, this and this. It was rewarding. Given all the success he has had during his career, I know from where he speaks. It is a bit the same level and we understand. And having Seve also there in the middle, it was really interesting. It discusses things with freshness and if he came here because he wanted to.

So who knows ... there may be something to learn from it for next year. Maybe he can join us somewhere. Seve is my coach and is super good job. He spent 35 weeks with me. Almost a full-time coach. I am very pleased with himself. But if you can add a little something. Why not?"

#6 Tennis Lover

Tennis Lover

• Members +
  • 309 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

Becker was my favourite player of the 80s-90s, but I actually believe Edberg may make a better coach than Boris. It will be very interesting if Edberg actually coaches Roger.

#7 moodyboogie

moodyboogie

Roger Federer Fans 500 Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:10 PM

And here`s Edberg on his collaboration with Roger as I found it on tennisearth.com:

Swede Stefan Edberg recently said that he is open to the idea of a coaching role with Roger Federer, saying that he is ready to coach the Swiss if Federer asks.

“It's a matter for us to find time to fit it in,” the 47-year-old said. “If we can, I would be more than happy.”

Edberg retired from tennis in 1996 and has been a childhood idol of Federer, who invited the Six Time Major Champion to work with him for a week in Dubai. “The idea of the camp was that I would give my views and come up with some feedback. He wants to try some new things,” Edberg commented.

The Swede also had some words of wisdom for the Swiss, saying that the 32-year old should not engage in long rallies with baseliners Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic. “I was very surprised (that Federer asked) because it's so long since I left tennis. But I was also very flattered. I've never really thought about coaching and if it had not been Federer doing the asking, honestly, I would not have been interested.”

The Swede did not disclose the prospects the two might have discussed. “Of course I have some comments as to what needs to change and evolve, but it's not the done thing that I sit here and talk about it,” he said. “I think he will be coming back. He's a great player and all the pieces are in place, he can definitely win some more grand slam titles.”

#8 ARIJEET SEN

ARIJEET SEN

Roger Federer Fans 250 Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationNew Delhi India

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

It looks like getting former players to coach is the new trend. After Ivan lendl is hired by Murray, djokovic appoints Boris "Boom Boom " Becker, RF is in talks with the classy Edberg, and now there is news of Japans Kei Nishikori is hiring Michael chang. Some interesting times ahead. Looks like the rivalry of the late eighties and Early nineties coming back. Who will RF coach when he retires in the distant future . Chareline riva and Myla rose Federer of course.

#9 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:26 PM

This is all very intriguing ... Edberg added to the mix of Roger Federer's team, as an advisor, maybe a supplementary coach mmmm, though I do wonder if Boris will indeed fit well into Novak's team ...
2014 could be a very interesting year!!

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#10 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 3,256 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:11 PM

Really, shocking.... Actually i can't imagine Novak without Vajda. I hope this is a good decision ..

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#11 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:27 PM

Roger has just confirmed that Sefan Edberg will be joining his coaching team via Facebook ...

"I am happy to announce that beginning in Melbourne, Stefan Edberg will join Severin Lüthi on my coaching team. Severin, who has been part of my team for the last 7 years, will do most of the weeks and Stefan has agreed to work with us for at least 10 weeks starting at the Australian Open in Melbourne. Stefan was my childhood hero, and I am really looking forward to spending time and learning from him."

Excellent news
:)

To read more about this Click Here

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#12 Tennis Lover

Tennis Lover

• Members +
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:45 AM

I'm very much looking forward to find out what kind of changes Edberg will bring to Federer's play. Can't wait for Brisbane!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+