• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Prospects for 2014 Australian Open

australian open australian open 2014 aus open 2014 aus open 2014 draw aus open 2014 draw predictions

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ramos

ramos

Roger Federer Fans 250 Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

I believe Roger can perform well in Australia and do a good tournament this year, but let our hopes be lower than usual, after a disappointing 2013.

Of course, a good performance will always mean getting to the final and beating at least one of the top 3 (Nadal, Murray, Djokovic).

Nowadays, Djokovic is deservedly considered to be the very best in Aussie, but I don't remember him beating Roger in any of the 2 previous editions of the tournament and I think the history could have been different if Roger crossed his path. However, Djokovic was definitely a deserving winner and what matters now is the 2014 tournament.

That said, I would love Roger to be drawn in the same half of Djokovic.

My ideal draw would put Roger crossing with:

QF: Ferrer

SF: Djokovic

F: Murray or Nadal (I would love to see Roger beating Nadal in another Grand Slam final, other than Wimbledon - well Wimbledon would be ok, too :D )

Might seem a long shot right now, but Roger will always make us fans dream, so...

What do you think fellows?

#2 moodyboogie

moodyboogie

Roger Federer Fans 500 Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

Well, here's my fantasy draw:

4th Round: Tsonga

QF: Murray

SF: Nadal

F: Djokovic

Anyone who has done anything competitive in his life knows that only overcoming the toughest possible challenges gives the sweetest victories. Plus, it would be perfect "how you like me now" from Roger in the faces of "he's old" and "nah sayers" should he pulled this off.

#3 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: Busy

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

Well, my prediction of the draw as I tweeted just a few minutes back.

QF's

Rafa vs Delpo,

Nole vs Wawrinka

Ferrer vs Berdych

Murray vs Federer

& in the Semis :

My prediction : RAFA/Delpo vs Ferrer/Berdych.

Nole/Wawrinka vs Federer/Murray.

So, yes, as you, it will be a challenge for Roger. Its always difficult to win slams & when you are out of Top-4, it becomes doubly difficult, So, lets hope for the best & good to see u back here :)...

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#4 ramos

ramos

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:44 PM

Well, here's my fantasy draw:

4th Round: Tsonga

QF: Murray

SF: Nadal

F: Djokovic

Anyone who has done anything competitive in his life knows that only overcoming the toughest possible challenges gives the sweetest victories. Plus, it would be perfect "how you like me now" from Roger in the faces of "he's old" and "nah sayers" should he pulled this off.

Ouch! :D

I think that Federer has what it takes to beat any one, but I also acknowledge that physically he's not as capable as he was 5 or 6 years ago, so I think beating the 3 "monsters" (in a good sense) in a row over 5 sets, it's a very tough task!

But, of course, I would just love that!!! :D

Well, my prediction of the draw as I tweeted just a few minutes back.

QF's

Rafa vs Delpo,

Nole vs Wawrinka

Ferrer vs Berdych

Murray vs Federer

& in the Semis :

My prediction : RAFA/Delpo vs Ferrer/Berdych.

Nole/Wawrinka vs Federer/Murray.

So, yes, as you, it will be a challenge for Roger. Its always difficult to win slams & when you are out of Top-4, it becomes doubly difficult, So, lets hope for the best & good to see u back here :)...

Thank you :D

Of course, being out of the top 4 makes things tougher.

The difference to mine is getting in the draw quarter of Murray, that would gives us certainly great moments of tennis in the QF, but I have to be honest and say I would prefer Roger to have a more quiet ride until the semis, in order to be fresh for Nole :D

From the top 8, I think the "better" opponent for Federer on QFs would be Ferrer, which is also a big gun in the modern game, of course. It would be a really nice contest to watch, I am sure.

That's just my opinion and things might not turn out like I expect, but that's the feeling I have.

#5 moodyboogie

moodyboogie

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:57 PM

The draw is coming out tomorrow so let's wait and see who was the most accurate with his predictions.

And btw, I dont think I'm a dreamer thinking Roger could get a crack at my draw, I think it's just as realistic as Nole winning the 5th one. But I geuss reasoning for that is for another discussion...

#6 ramos

ramos

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

The draw is coming out tomorrow so let's wait and see who was the most accurate with his predictions.

And btw, I dont think I'm a dreamer thinking Roger could get a crack at my draw, I think it's just as realistic as Nole winning the 5th one. But I geuss reasoning for that is for another discussion...

:D

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see that happening!

I think I have almost as much faith in Roger as you :D

#7 chris90

chris90

Roger Federer Fans 100 Title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:24 AM

My prediction of the draw:

QF

1) Federer vs Ferrer

2) Del potro vs Nadal

3) Wawrinka vs Djokovic

4) Berdych vs Murray

SF:

Winner of 1 vs winner of 2

Winner of 3 vs winner of 4

#8 moodyboogie

moodyboogie

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:00 AM

:D

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see that happening!

I think I have almost as much faith in Roger as you :D

Hey, thanks for another smiley response and don't get me wrong neither but I guess what I was trying to indicate is the fact that it is not the faith upon which I have came to the conclusion that Roger could win the slam even with the toughest draw possible but I have observations (my assumptions) from which I deduce. It is just  reasoning, no place for faith in here my friend.

But if I can allow myself to elaborae a litlle bit more on faith...

What I have faith in is that Roger Federer is the greatest player ever in time not only history (no one before him and no one after him). I strongly believe Roger Federer is the ultimate tennis and there can not possibly be more tennis in a human being than there is in him. He is a true form that stepped into the cave and lives among shadows (to use Plato's analogy). He would be chosen one if Jedi would have made prophecy about tennis world (to use more pop-cultural analogy-Star Wars).

What never stops to amaze me is that given he is the personification of the ultimate tennis, how beautiful it is that he is so far the most successful player out there (I don't know whether will someone win more slams than him and spend more weeks as a number one ranked player, I have no claim in here; to me those issues are independent, you can still be the ultimate tennis and not be most successful in this sport as you are just not effective in battling shadows :D; I am truly thankful that he stepped into our imperfect cave of clumsiness, so we can just witness him). I mean, imagine Mozart hasn't been born in 18th century but instead he is about the same age as Justin Bieber but other things equal. Mozart has the same talent and uses it in the same way and yet despite it's 2014 he is constantly in the top positions on the Billboard and he has sold more albums than any other pop artist in history (no disrespect to Justin Bieber or any other pop artist). That's how incredibly beautiful it is.

So there you have it, my little tennis credo. That's what I believe in.

#9 moodyboogie

moodyboogie

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:03 AM

Btw, I've just noticed why you're so smiley Ramos. You are from one of the most beautiful places in our universe, Portugal that is. You lucky bastard :D

#10 chris90

chris90

Roger Federer Fans 100 Title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:43 AM

Vibhuism and moodyboogie, you were right xD

#11 Tennis Lover

Tennis Lover

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

Well, the draw looks quite scary for Roger, but he should believe in his chances of 'upset' win in Melbourne. He just needs some confidence boosters!

Also, very often, luck is needed to win a slam. We never know if Murray will lose before QF, or Nole will lose to Stan, or Nadal will lose to hometown boy Tomic. Anything can happen in sports and with a bit of luck, Roger can win it.

#12 ramos

ramos

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

OH MY GOD!!!

Vibhuism, how did you do that? :D 

Do you have a magic ball or something? LOL

Your QF predictions are completely right!!!

Vibhuism and moodyboogie, you were right xD

Almost, but not exactly. Roger's path crosses Nadal's at the semis and Nole's in the final, so other than that, some pretty accurate predictions from our fellows.

Brilliant draw for Djokovic, has it all to be in the final.

#13 moodyboogie

moodyboogie

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:16 PM

OH MY GOD!!!

Almost, but not exactly. Roger's path crosses Nadal's at the semis and Nole's in the final, so other than that, some pretty accurate predictions from our fellows.

Brilliant draw for Djokovic, has it all to be in the final.

Oh c'mon, give me some credit mate :P  My prediction for Roger's nominal opponents from 4th round to the final was spot on! Look above, not a single mistake :) And btw, just in case, I didn't fix the results of the drawing just so I could win our inner circle fantasy draw contest... I'm not that influential nor corrupted :P

And just as I've mentioned already, the draw is just peRFect. Can't wait for Roger to pull this off!

#14 moodyboogie

moodyboogie

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

And obviously hats off to you Vibhuism for perfect QF prediction. Will see whether Stan will get his revenge :D

#15 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:09 AM

And obviously hats off to you Vibhuism for perfect QF prediction. Will see whether Stan will get his revenge :D

OH MY GOD!!!

Thanks Guys, I do have a magic ball with which I make my Tennis predictions :D.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#16 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:11 AM

Just in case if any one missed, I actually tweeted the draw of Australian Open, 10 hours in advance :). Here is the tweet link.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#17 Tennis Lover

Tennis Lover

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

http://tvnz.co.nz/te...cisions-5799605

The next few days will be extremely hot in Melbourne. Maybe we'll get to see some extreme heat policy being reinforced.

#18 ramos

ramos

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

6-7, 3-5!! 

It's tough!

C'mon master, dancer of the courts, break now! Now it's the time!!!

Make tennis a better sport, giving us a all Swiss final, c'mon!!!!

#19 ramos

ramos

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:08 PM

C'mon master!!!!!!!!

#20 ramos

ramos