#1 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

The draw of Serbia vs Switzerland was announced just 10 minutes back. Its official that Novak Djokovic won't be a part of Team Serbia for the 1st Round Davis Cup tie. There was a bit of confusion as one of the presentation cardboard had the name of Novak Djokovic.

BfOiaf2CQAA-Zwr.jpg

Team Switzerland and Serbia for the Davis Cup tie (pic via Biljana Gavrić)

Roger Federer as I posted yesterday replaced Henri Laaksonen & here's the full draw of the 1st Round Davis Cup starting from Friday, 31st January, 2014.

Friday, January 31st-2014

1st singles match: Roger Federer vs Ilija Bozoljac (starting time - 14 CET or 13 GMT)

2nd singles match: Stanislas Wawrinka vs Dusan Lajovic

BfPE98ZCYAAqo3c.jpg

Saturday, 1st February 2014

Roger Federer & Stan Wawrinka haven't been listed to play doubles, but, the teams can be changed before the start of match.

Doubles: Marco CHIUDINELLI/ Michael LAMMER vs Krajinovic/Zimonjic (starting time- 15 CET or 14 GMT).

Sunday, 2nd February, 2014

4th tie: Reverse singles : Roger Federer vs Dusan Lajovic (start tie: 13 CET/ 12 GMT)

5th tie: Reverse Singles: Stanislas Wawrinka vs Ilija Bozoljac

Picture of Team Switzerland for you all

BfOgnVwCIAANyJh.jpg

Pic by Borsier Herve

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#2 Rita

Rita

Roger Federer Fans 2nd Grand Slam Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Current mood: Fine

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

Does anyone know offhand what points Roger would get for winning his Davis Cup matches?  Enough to pull him up to No. 7 or No. 6?  He's not very far behind these two positions is he. I'm sure I've seen this information on here somewhere but can't find it.

#3 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

Does anyone know offhand what points Roger would get for winning his Davis Cup matches?  Enough to pull him up to No. 7 or No. 6?  He's not very far behind these two positions is he. I'm sure I've seen this information on here somewhere but can't find it.

If Roger wins both the matches, he will gain 80 ATP Points only & that too only if the 2nd rubber is a live rubber. Live rubber means a tie where in the tie is still alive....

Lets suppose, Team SUI wins the both singles matches on Friday & then the doubles on Saturday, then the reverse singles matches of Sunday will be dead rubbers & ATP points from those matches don't count.

So, maximum of 80 points if Roger Federer wins both matches, though as Berdych & Murray both are playing Davis Cup, so, no chance of RF's ranking to increase after 1st Round Davis Cup :)...

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#4 Rita

Rita

• Members +
  • 235 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:38 PM

Thanks for the prompt answer Vibhu  :)  

Well, at least if he wins both matches the distance in points between him and Berdych won't increase.  Like the points in a tennis match - they're all worth fighting for!

#5 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

Thanks for the prompt answer Vibhu  :)  

Well, at least if he wins both matches the distance in points between him and Berdych won't increase.  Like the points in a tennis match - they're all worth fighting for!

Yeps, the 2nd singles points will get counted only if Team SUI doesn't win the tie on Saturday, else the points of Sunday don't get counted :). Though, to be honest, he isnt playing Davis Cup for points :)...

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#6 Rita

Rita

• Members +
  • 235 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

No, I know he's not playing for the points - it was just me wondering about them :)

#7 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:25 AM

Here's the video of the draw. Federer talking about his relationship with Novak Djokovic, his fitness level & his decision to play Davis Cup -----

1653872_672598259453188_1911816824_n.jpg

1797603_672598189453195_630632848_n.jpg

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#8 Tennis Lover

Tennis Lover

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:02 PM

Good start by Roger and Switzerland! Roger looked a little shaky when he got broken, but came back well and finished the match well under 2 hours. I think it's good for him to get more match practices. This was a great idea!

#9 Rita

Rita

• Members +
  • 235 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:34 PM

He did look a bit shaky, but then so did Stan.  I think they're probably both tired.  It's a long way from Australia to Serbia, via Switzerland.  I'm getting fed up with all the press speculation (again!) about why Roger decided to play.  He said all along what he just said in this press conference, i.e. that he had left a small window open for the Davis Cup.  It's clear that in his position with a family and an additional member on the way he can't plan months ahead, and also can't know months ahead how fit to play he is going to be.  I don't know why people can't just accept that.

Anway, well done Roger and Stan! 

#10 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 2,723 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:01 PM

1507609_672568069456207_1857899321_n.jpg

1798287_672596276120053_1140430420_n.jpg

1743615_672598312786516_964060238_n.jpg

1800483_672604319452582_1579929463_n.jpg

1798595_672604382785909_2049307311_n.jpg

1560510_672626169450397_1656458587_n.jpg

1622626_672598386119842_1332888692_n.jpg1175439_672626349450379_291092640_n.jpg

1798642_672626299450384_1614328138_n.jpg

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#11 Rita

Rita

• Members +
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:16 AM

What happens now that Switzerland has 3 points? Do they have to play the remaining two rubbers?  Seems a bit futile to me. Wast of energy for both sides.

#12 chris90

chris90

Roger Federer Fans 100 Title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:17 AM

Both matches have to be played because people paid for the tickets. nevertheless, the matches are decided with a  best of three sets format. And the players can be different from the ones that played on friday.

#13 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:29 AM

What happens now that Switzerland has 3 points? Do they have to play the remaining two rubbers?  Seems a bit futile to me. Wast of energy for both sides.

Now, the next 2 matches or as they are called, reverse singles matches are "Dead rubbers".

(i) They will be best of three set matches.

(ii) These dead rubber matches won't carry ATP Points, so, who so ever wins, won't get any ATP points, though, the win is counted in number of wins...

(iii) If the both captains agree, the dead rubber matches can be called off....

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#14 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:34 AM

Team Switzerland has won the Davis Cup tie & is now through to the Quarter-Finals of Davis Cup where they will meet the winner of Belgium vs Kazakhstan in April, 2014.

For the full draw of Team SUI, click here.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#15 Rita

Rita

• Members +
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:46 AM

Thanks Chris and Vibhu.  Someone told me earlier that the dead rubbers have to be played but I'm pretty sure I've tuned in before on Sundays to watch and there haven't been any matches.  

#16 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

Thanks Chris and Vibhu.  Someone told me earlier that the dead rubbers have to be played but I'm pretty sure I've tuned in before on Sundays to watch and there haven't been any matches.  

Well, yes, there have been many ties where the dead rubbers haven't been played after both the captains agreed. But, I think today, Serbia & Switzerland will play the reverse singles matches, obviously, chances of Federer or Wawrinka playing are one in a million :)..

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#17 Rita

Rita

• Members +
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

I hope so. I shall tune in anyway.  It's a good opportunity for Roger to play really freely without worrying about the outcome.  It will be interesting to see.  

#18 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:06 PM

I hope so. I shall tune in anyway.  It's a good opportunity for Roger to play really freely without worrying about the outcome.  It will be interesting to see.  

Actually, Federer & Wawrinka won't play today. It was confirmed by Severin Luthi about 2 hours back...

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#19 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 2,723 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:19 PM

Here's Gifs of Roger Federer elbows Stanislas Wawrinka in the eye 

tumblr_n0b1m1tIDl1qksc64o2_250.gif

tumblr_n0b1m1tIDl1qksc64o1_250.gif

Source: federer blog

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#20 Rita

Rita

• Members +
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:46 PM

Actually, Federer & Wawrinka won't play today. It was confirmed by Severin Luthi about 2 hours back...

Yes, I've just switched on and discovered that.  And Swiss TV is showing skiing instead :( 

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: serbia, sui, davis cup 2014, novi sad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+