Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: Busy

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:28 AM

Dear all,

Sorry for the delay in posting this. I know, most of you would not be interested in reading this, so, I will try to keep this post as short as possible. But, with Indian Wells in full flow, I hardly got a second to post all these, but, if you follow me on Google plus or Flickr, I am sure, you would have seen the pics that I posted.

The highlight of the visit for me was meeting all my friends during the WTA & the ATP weeks, thanks to every one who planned up their visit to the Tennis village for coming to meet me.

Okay, before I share any thing else, here's a quick suggestion to all our readers (please be informed that inspite of being close to the organizers, I am being 100% honest here).

I met so many Tennis fans there who were desperate to watch their favorites on the practice courts & many of those requested me to get access to the practice courts.

But, unfortunately, Dubai Open organizers or Dubai Duty Free Championships doesn't allow any one (including the media personnels) to visit the practice sessions of players.

So, I really felt very sad for all the fans who were there from far away places like Slovenia, Armenia, RSA, Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Jordan, Yemen etc with the hope of catching practice sessions of their favorite players.

Most of the people whom I met were traveling for the first time & I really felt sorry for them.

Now, a few people will be surprised why I am concentrating only on practice sessions here? Well, my answer to that a common fan deserves the right to see players practice & interact with the players.

Almost all major tournaments allow common fans to view practice sessions. Not only can the fans get the real feel, but, also, its easier to get autographs or photographs & that is one of the dream of a common fan.

So, my advice to every one who's planning to travel overseas for a Tennis tournament : If a Tennis tournament doesn't allow you access to practice courts, don't waste your money in traveling to that tournament, you have much better options to chose from.

For me, the saddest part of the tournament was to see Juan Martin Del Potro retiring on Day-2 due to wrist injury & after the match, he even skipped his press conference & rushed to get a scan done. I got the opportunity to meet him at Hotel Creekside Jumeirah just before the players party & he looked so down & out. Delpo even didn't come up for the players party that evening.

Here are all the pictures from the ATP Week.

Day-1

DSC_0566.JPG

Find all the pics from Day-1 on my G plus album right here.

About 600+ HQ Pics of Tomas Berdych, his girl friend Ester Satorova, Roger Federer, Mirka Federer, Severin Luthi

Day-2

Day-2 was a real mixed & sort of emotional day for me. I cried that day after seeing Del potro in real pain & tears & with his head down after having to withdraw after losing the 1st set to Somdevv Devvarman.

Though, if you guys follow me on twitter, most of you would be aware, I tend to tweet crazy predictions. But, just after their match started, I had tweeted this.

Though, I talked about last year's dream in that tweet, but, sadly, I never wanted to see Delpotro losing out in that fashion.

After I saw Delpotro at Hotel Creekside Jumeirah with his head down & sort of red, wet eyes, just before the ATP players party, I really-2 had tears in my eyes & that was one of the saddest Tennis moments of my life.

If this wasn't sufficient, as I had one extra invitation pass for the ATP Players party, I tried my level best to convince one of my best friends to attend the players party. I failed miserably in that try too, was a real testing day for me.

Though, the ATP Players party was good fun, got the chance to meet Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Boris Becker, Tomas Berdych & other players & it was good fun.

igx3.jpg

For more pictures of ATP Players party, see this detailed post right here.

Some day-2 pictures of Novak Djokovic, Del Potro, Somdev Devvarman & others

DSC_0031.JPG

Find more than 1000 pics of Day-2 on my Gplus album right here.

Day-3

Day-3 reminds me of that entertaining match between Federer & Stepanek. Steps really gave it his all & really entertained the crowd.

DSC_0196-MOTION.gif

Also, the last match of the day, it was absolute clinical Djokovic vs Roberto Butista-Agut.

DSC_0875.JPG

For more pics of Day-3 with 1000+ pics of Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Boris Becker, Bautista-Agut, Tomas Berdych, see this detailed album right here.

Scroll down for more pics............

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#2 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:54 AM

Day-4

Normally, the quarter-final day is considered to be the most interesting day of the tournament as 4 singles QF were scheduled on Thursday. But, sadly the Quarter-final day proved to be the most boring day of the tourney.

Malek Jaziri unfortunately looked tired & injured & couldn't give any fight to Kohlschreiber.

Unfortunately, Mikhail Youzhny got a viral & that gave Novak Djokovic a walkover win.

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga looked absolutely out of form in his QF clash vs Tomas Berdych.

Though, Roger Federer was absolutely clinical in his match vs Lukas Rosol.

DSC_0236.JPG

Find more than 900 pics of Day-4, right here.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#3 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:55 AM

Day-5

Day-5 was the semi-final day.

The first semi-final was between Kohlschreiber & Berdych. The German started so well, but, unfortunately lost his way while serving for the 1st set.

Berdych played marvelously well in the 2nd set & reached his 2nd consecutive final at Dubai.

DSC_0008-MOTION.gif

The second semi-final was the mouth watering Federer vs Djokovic semi-final battle. I am sure, you all would have seen the match & enjoyed it.

Regarding me, I really wasn't seeing the match, I actually was clicking pics, so, don't remember much from that match :).

So, here are a few pics from Federer vs Djokovic semi-final match at Dubai 2014

DSC_0375-MOTION.gif

DSC_0122-MOTION.gif

DSC_0677-MOTION.gif

DSC_0781-MOTION.gif

DSC_0320.JPG

DSC_0739.JPG

DSC_0811.JPG

DSC_0970.JPG

GiF Of Boris Becker clapping & trying to motivate Djokovic

DSC_0974-MOTION.gif

DSC_0626.JPG

DSC_0647.JPG

DSC_0918.JPG

DSC_0966.JPG

DSC_0980-MOTION.gif

PS: I haven't used any software to post these GIF's, these are just continuous shots taken from my DSLR, Google plus merged these pics & that's why, you are getting to see these as GIF's...

What a lovely hug it was between Djokovic & Federer after the match. Perhaps, that was the moment of the week for me. (There are some people who have a habit of making stories about the problems these two have had, but, see these pics & decide for yourself) :).

DSC_0105.JPG

DSC_0106.JPG

DSC_0107.JPG

DSC_0108.JPG

DSC_0109.JPG

DSC_0110.JPG

DSC_0111.JPG

DSC_0112.JPG

DSC_0113.JPG

DSC_0114.JPG

DSC_0115.JPG

DSC_0116.JPG

DSC_0133.JPG

Mirka Federer & Severin Luthi in all smiles after Federer's win

DSC_0167.JPG

There are actually 2000 pics from the semi-final day. If ever, any of you gets spare time, do see those, I am sure, you won't regret seeing those pics.

Find 1100 pics from day-5  right here.

& about 1000 pics more on my 2nd Gplus album right here.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#4 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:15 AM

Day-6

The final day is always the most emotional day of the tournament especially when you have been visiting every day of the tournament.

It was great to see the Indo-Pak duo of Bopanna & Qureshi winning the doubles finale.

DSC_0360.JPG

The singles final between Berdych & Federer was a thoroughly entertaining match. Federer showed amazing fight as he once again managed to win the match after losing the 1st set.

Here are a few pics from the final day

DSC_0688-MOTION.gif

GIF of Federer changing his shirt during the 2nd set

Mohamed Layani (the chair umpire) in picture was very sharp that day. Some of his overrules & his tone looked very sharp

DSC_0981.JPG

DSC_0449.JPG

DSC_0450.JPG

DSC_0500.JPG

DSC_0503.JPG

DSC_0514.JPG

Severin Luthi looked a bit too busy on his mobile, so, I couldn't take too many pics of his

DSC_0515.JPG

DSC_0525.JPG

DSC_0536.JPG

DSC_0538.JPG

DSC_0728.JPG

DSC_0893.JPG

DSC_0929.JPG

DSC_0912-MOTION.gif

1920385_625632980825452_1192037936_n.jpg

& here's the maestro lifting his 78th title -----

1800272_625632707492146_879643123_n.jpg

1979694_625632724158811_550221159_n.jpg

1912156_625633400825410_914284356_n.jpg

For more pictures of the final day, see my Google plus album right here.

A big thanks to all our readers who came there for meeting me. Thanks to all of you for your immense love & care. You really made me feel special there. Until next time, keep smiling & keep visiting your own site & forum :)...

PS: Will update those G plus albums with a few more pics & will post some videos that I recorded in the following posts in this thread.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#5 Tennis Lover

Tennis Lover

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:41 AM

Great report, Vibhu! Thanks for sharing.

#6 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us Vibhu. Wonderful set of photos posted here and I will enjoy browsing the albums too.

I am particularly impressed with the GIF's :)

Are you able to tell us a bit more about your meeting with Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Boris Becker and Tomas Berdych at the players party?

Shame about the practice sessions, but if it's tournament policy there's not much that can be done about it. Not so good for the fans as you rightly point out.

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#7 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 3,256 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:16 AM

Thanks for sharing us your amazing experience, and thanks for the great pics and report  :) 

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#8 Niraperky

Niraperky

Roger Federer Fans 100 Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Current mood: Cheerful

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:28 AM

Very many thanks indeed for sharing. Saw them on G+. Great photos and tons if them. Great Vibhu, thanks againšŸŽ¾

#9 Rita

Rita

Roger Federer Fans 2nd Grand Slam Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Current mood: Fine

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

I'm definitely interested in reading your reports Vibhu, and in the wonderful pics.  They're so clear!  I'm planning to browse my way through the whole lot - but it might take me a long time :)

It was a great tournament and it's lovely to have this souvenir.

#10 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:19 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us Vibhu. Wonderful set of photos posted here and I will enjoy browsing the albums too.

I am particularly impressed with the GIF's :)

Are you able to tell us a bit more about your meeting with Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Boris Becker and Tomas Berdych at the players party?

Shame about the practice sessions, but if it's tournament policy there's not much that can be done about it. Not so good for the fans as you rightly point out.

Thanks, these GIF's are the miracle of Google's auto awesome feature. I kept clicking pictures & Google kept joining those through their auto awesome feature & as a result of those continuous shots, u get to see those GIF's....

Of course, it wasnt easy to click these many pics. I got a real bad eye infection because of excessive clicking. Was a tough experience to click so many pics :).. Though, I know, there are so many repetitions, but, I kept clicking with the hope of finding some good clicks :)...

Regarding the players party, it was an invitation only party. About 150+ guests were there, besides the players, officials, performers...

Roger arrived at about 8:50 pm just behind my back & believe it or not, as he was wearing a shirt & trouser, 2 guys who were standing to my left with a confused look asked is he really Roger? :)..

Roger was coming straight from his practice & Stephane Vivier (RF's physio) even had Roger's practice bag with him....

After entering the party venue, Roger shook hands with few people. As he was entering, I said hi, he too said, hello with a smile & asked how are you.... Though, he looked a bit tired after his practice & his security guards started requesting every one, we will appreciate, if you don't take pictures now....

Also, after seeing Roger, mostly the females who were present there, started running to get a photograph with him, so, it got a bit messy...

So, that's why, it was slightly awkward to take pics with him at that time.... I still managed to take a few pictures of him, the link posted in the 1st topic above....

Roger sat there for 20-25 minutes, had his dinner there.

In the mean time, there was a small performance by Josh Berry. Roger had a good laugh when he heard Josh imitating Nole, Boris Becker, himself, Rafa & Murray.

Roger left after 25-30 mins. Djokovic & Becker came after Roger left. Will post more in the following post... (Typing from mobile & its already got a bit long).

I'm definitely interested in reading your reports Vibhu, and in the wonderful pics.  They're so clear!  I'm planning to browse my way through the whole lot - but it might take me a long time :)

It was a great tournament and it's lovely to have this souvenir.

Actually, I came back 7-8 days after Dubai finished & immediately after that, Indian Wells started. That's why, this Dubai pics post here, got so delayed...

Not only is the life of players tough, but also of people who cover Tennis tournaments probably more tough..

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#11 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:32 PM

oh fancy that! Roger coming into the players party so close to where you were! That must have been surreal and to exchange greetings too. Chalk one for Vibhu, representing all of us there in that moment :)

Although the professional players are used to the rounds of media appearances, promotions for sponsors, trainings, practice and of course the tournament itself, it must be exhausting. I bet Roger was glad to get back to his family, close the door, sink into a comfy chair and relax without feeling that his every move could be photographed and scrutinised.

And yes tough for those who cover tennis tournaments too. Pressure to get that special picture or interview. Pressure to meet deadlines and of course the need to be there to cover the matches, and produce the goods no matter how tired you feel.

Your efforts are greatly appreciated :)

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#12 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:27 AM

Continuing from where I left:

I forgot to mention that the players including Roger Federer, Djokovic & Berdych signed a painting by graffiti artist Steffi Bow.

I posted Federer & Djokovic pictures in the detailed post right here.

After Federer left, Nole & Boris Becker came to the party. Nole had won his 1st round match about an hour back. Things got a bit funnier. He joined Josh Berry for a funny one on one session.

After that Djokovic had a really-2 long photo session & had a detailed long chat with every one who came to say hi to him....

Also, Tomas Berdych stayed there through out the party & was accompanied by his girlfriend, Ester Sotorova

1798800_624260207629396_1778844251_n.jpg

So, overall it was a good experience. Would have been better had Juan Martin Del potro also joined in, but, aah, that's how life goes.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dubai open, dubai 2014, atp 500, dubai duty free, roger federer, novak djokovic, roberto bautista agut, tomas berdych, mirka federer, severin luthi, ester sotorova, del potro, creekside jumeirah, devvarman, qureshi, bopanna, kohlschreiber, boris becker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+