• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 7 votes

Match report, Pics and Video Highlights of Roger Federer vs Kei Nishikori, Sony Open Tennis, Miami 2014

roger federer kei nishikori sony open sony open tennis sony open 2014

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

Kei Nishikori showed some great grit & determination as he knocked out Roger Federer 3-6, 7-5, 6-4 in 2 hours & 8 minutes to set up a semi-final clash vs Novak Djokovic. Nishikori who yesterday had saved four match points enroute defeating Davis Ferrer in the 4th Round came back from a set deficit & a break down in the 2nd set to reach his 2nd semi-final at an ATP 1000 masters tournament in his 25th masters tourney.

BjtJ7nECYAANnPr.jpg

Quick update on Federer's ATP Ranking

A victory here for Roger Federer would have not only ensured place in his 50th semi-final at an ATP Masters tourney but also guaranteed that Federer would have reached back Top-4 ATP Rankings after almost 9 months.

Roger Federer's chances of regaining Top-4 ATP Rankings are dependent on how Tomas Berdych fares at Miami. If Berdych manages to win the Sony Open Tennis title, then Federer would stay at #5 & if Berdych doesn't win the title, then Roger Federer will guaranteed return back to #4 in the ATP rankings. Read an in-depth explanation right here.

As it was a cool & breezy evening, Federer was spotted wearing a sleeveless sweater during the warm-up.

Bjsoca8CIAAaNvq.jpg

Federer was spotted wearing this sweater for the first time after Hamburg, 2013 (July, 2013). Pic credit: BrainGameTennis (Craig O'Shannessy)

Set-1

The swiss maestro started from where he left off yesterday vs Richard Gasquet. His first three service games were absolutely flawless & he broke Nishikori's service in the 4th game to get to a 3-1 lead.

How ever, Nishikori got the break in the 7th game to bring it back to serve, but, Federer broke the Japanese right back to get to a 5-3 lead & then held on to his service to win the 1st set 6-3 in just 34 minutes.

Here are the 1st set stats ----

BjsxC-ZCUAAQ1XT.png

Clearly, Federer's 38% 1st serves in was a cause of concern even during the 1st set, but still his overall game especially his return game & his forehand & backhands looked spot on & that's why, he managed to win the 1st set without any difficulty.

2nd Set

Federer's 1st serve absolutely deserted him in the 2nd set. Inspite of being able to break Nishikori's serve in the 3rd game & then in the 7th game, the Japanese managed to break back immediately in the 4th game & 8th game to make it 4-all.

Federer's 1st serve % till that stage stood at a mere 43% & that was the primary reason, why his service looked under threat, unlike the previous 3 matches.

Federer's confidence started to dip a bit & he started shanking, missing a lot of backhands & even, forehands.

The 24 year old Japanese once again broke Federer's service (his 3rd break of the set) to win the 2nd set 7-5 in 49 mins.

Here are the 2nd set stats ------

Bjs8GevCYAAt29w.png

Federer was up a break twice in the set but his 1st serve absolute deserted him & that allowed, Nishikori to break back twice & win the 2nd set 7-5

3rd Set

Nishikori had all the momentum going in to the 3rd set. Federer's game started to crack. He was shanking a lot of balls on both sides. Though, his 1st serve % improved in the 3rd set, but, still, Nishikori never looked like in pressure in the 3rd set.

Federer managed to save 2 break points in the 4th game to make it 2-all.

How ever, the Japanese broke Federer's service in the 10 game on his 3rd match point with a backhand winner to beat Federer for the 2nd time in 3 matches.

The end score-line read 3-6, 7-5, 6-4 in favor of Kei Nishikori & here are the overall match stats -----

BjtHAAjCMAAehTU.png

Clearly, Federer's 1st serve % stood at a mere 53% & that was the primary reason, why he lost his service 5 times during the match.

This was Federer's 4th successive loss (in 2010 lost to Berdych, 2011 to Nadal, 2012 to Andy Roddick) at Miami in an evening/night match & after the match in his post match press conference, he stated that he finds the lights at the center court at Miami a bit unusual & looks like a boxing ring to him.

Federer next outing will be at Davis Cup's Quarter-final tie vs Kazakhstan starting from 4th April in Geneva, Switzerland.

Scroll down for more pics, video highlights & more insights from the match.

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#2 sausan

sausan

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 2,777 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

Pics from the match 

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+rvUiTt3Og

Federer disappointed

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+SHhI0HRt-

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+47XUe1SxO

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+zYwTh4vHi

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+WL8dltQVV

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+tRc5-_uNB

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+ND_8X3o-J

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+dQwbF_efB

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+X5DQEIRwi

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+lQjZv04Ek

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+U9I1CHUfr

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+z7wcwpUSo

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+C8zMamo0k

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+tgwoYaQNA

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+UwCK2uBsI

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#3 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 2,777 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+t0sZtOIfe

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+BOWtp4r-d

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+k8pa0PICR

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+YVrzV_ZKe

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+jKA1tTgMH

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+WVsRL3ngp

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+w3gjiYBil

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+vE5kLj2c4

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+vFBZmT9JA

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+bLG23GTGQ

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+FtA527WXS

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+tQoX9EykC

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+1FXNzUDql

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+a-RKtKTEz

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+oq5jD1Eje

Roger+Federer+Sony+Open+Day+10+r4U9vJEkV

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Follow us also on...

#4 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 2,777 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:56 PM

Federer rips Backhand hot shot

Follow us also on...

#5 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 2,777 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:00 PM

Federer's press conference after his loss, "Just couldn’t find my rhythm on my serve today, which was surprising especially after how well I played and served especially this week. It didn’t take off the same way it did during the day time. You can expect that with the temperature drop.

Video ------

And here's Nishikori's interview 

Follow us also on...

#6 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 2,777 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

Video highlights

Follow us also on...

#7 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 2,777 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:14 PM

here's Full match 

Follow us also on...

#8 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationPerched on a Comfy Chair - UK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:36 PM

It is said that it is good luck when a bird poops on you, so when Roger Tweeted this selfie, with the text "Lucky me #birdpoop what are the chances? I can see the bird that did it, sitting in the palm tree!!! #cita " ...

1966236_758446670833794_431157314_o.jpg?

So it seemed as if the omens were good for his match against Kei Nishikori later that evening. ;)

In fact the match started well for Roger who won the first set 6-3. Nishikori took a little while to settle down and made a fair number of errors and struggled with his serve at times, but rather worryingly Roger's first serve % was also dreadfully low and this really let him down in the second and third sets.

1781570_705570206153400_1190602962_o.jpg

In his post match interview he said ..."I just couldn't find my rhythm on the serve today, which was surprising, especially after how well I have played and served especially this week, but I think it didn't take off the way it did during the daytime, you could expect that, but then plus the temperature drop maybe had something to do with that, and then in the dark for some reason I just um... yeah I havn't played many matches this year maybe, or lately, only one against Tommy Haas in Indian Wells and maybe the switch didn't work that well for me, but still I had the set, the break and another break again so it's a bit frustrating ..."

His inability to find accuracy and consistency on his first serve, possibly contributed to a feeling of frustration as the match proceeded. More errors crept in to Federer's game and in effect I feel that he ended up beating himself here.

This must not detract from the supreme effort that Kei Nishikori put in to covering the court and making shots, as this video shows, although this actual shot is not a legal as he was not in contact with his racquet when it hit the ball!

Video: ATP World Tour

I did feel sad and a bit anxious watching Roger's game falling apart like this. I sincerely hope that it was just "not a good day", after switching from daytime matches to a night one. From playing in the humid heat and blazing sun, to a cool breezy evening under floodlights, rather than there being any injury issues. He has done so well in 2014 up till now, this was the first match where I feared something was amiss.

At least Stefan Edberg was there and saw the match unfold and I hope he can help Roger get to grips with whatever the problem was so he can look forward to the clay season with confidence.

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#9 Rita

Rita

Roger Federer Fans 2nd Grand Slam Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Current mood: Fine

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:30 PM

I was a bit worried about this match as soon as I saw Roger come on for the warm-up with his "Hamburg" jerkin on.  Wondered if he was having a problem with his back.  I hope not, though I don't think he's going to tell us if he was.  I thought he looked a bit uncomfortable throughout, even when he was ahead.  But I'm not worried about it now.  It happens.  I always bear in mind Rod Laver saying in the latter years of his playing there  would be days when everything worked perfectly, and days when nothing worked at all and he could not really figure out why.  The consistency just goes as you get older.  And I  think consistency-wise Roger has been doing brilliantly well up to now.  Just hope he manages to put this one behind him quickly and move on.  I'm sure Stefan will help him there because he's also had the experience of playing as he got older.  He knows the problems.  

Nishikori played brilliantly I thought, and didn't lose his nerve at all.  He seems to be getting better and better.  I'd like to see him go on and win Miami though I don't suppose it's going to happen.  I think his win over Roger was largely due to Roger anyway, who could (and perhaps should) have won this in 2.  

Positives - there were some great, classic shots from Roger. Throughout this tournament and IW we've been seeing lots of vintage Roger and that's an absolute joy to behold.

#10 Tennis Lover

Tennis Lover

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:32 AM

I watched the match live in my room and I must say it was a weird match. He served really poorly but other parts of his game were near perfect until the middle of 2nd set when he dropped two of his service games in a row. He was playing immaculately up until that point(apart from serving), but his ground strokes suddenly deteriorated so quickly. I looked at his body language and his demeanour and I think I spotted some awkwardness with his movements. I think he must have some kind of injury, most likely back issue. Although he says he is fine in the interview, I suspect he's just hiding injury to not give ay excuses or to not to show others his injury. He was walking very gingerly, looking stiff and during the late stage, didn't even try to chase the ball which came to sideways. All those suggested he had back pain so he couldn't move freely and couldn't bend to the sides. Anyway, he's gone through one last year and hopefully he knows how to fix that quickly. He was going to annihilate Nishikori until that strange gesture started. I just hope he won't have any more injuries.

#11 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

Roger has been playing a lot of matches since the beginning of the year. He says he is fit and has been looking great and moving well, but I must admit that with the way he had been covering the court in this match, reaching, twisting and turning I did worry that he had strained something in his back when his game started to unravel in the second set. Roger is not one to make a theatrical performance of injury on court. He quietly gets on with things the best he can. He is still talking of taking part in the Davis Cup so hopefully there is nothing serious, but it is worrying.

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#12 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 2,777 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:56 AM

I'm really angry  :angry: now Nishikori withdraws??!!! :(  :blink:  :angry: 

Follow us also on...

#13 chris90

chris90

Roger Federer Fans 100 Title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:07 AM

me too. I'm furious :angry: :angry:

#14 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:09 PM

With Kei Nishikori withdrawing from his semi final against Novak Djokovic siting a groin strain, AND Tomas Berdych withdrawing from his semi final against Rafael Nadal due to gastroenteritis, I was amused to read this Tweet posted on Friday ...

Chris Fowler ‏@cbfowler 
.@rogerfederer was just at the pool. He’s still in town! He was joking he’s available as a last minute substitute for the semis.

tumblr_n3794aMWVW1rlws4ro1_500.png

Nice one Roger! Shows he is in good spirits  :lol: 

#15 Rita

Rita

Roger Federer Fans 2nd Grand Slam Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Current mood: Fine

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:06 PM

Yes indeed, or maybe he was serious!  Anyway I hope he's making his way back to Geneva soon.  He has a practice session on Wednesday! 

Davis Cup next  weekend :)

#16 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:59 PM

Seriously folks you cannot really get annoyed with Kei for pulling out of the semis with a groin injury. Yes it is immensely frustrating, but how many times have you overdone things and only truly appreciated the pain after the event! I know I have :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+