• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Beating Roger Federer means Kiss of Death for opponents?

roger federer kiss of death federer curse kei nishikori

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: Busy

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:04 AM

Sadly, Kei Nishikori pulled out of his semi-final match vs Novak Djokovic due to a groin injury. That means, Novak Djokovic reached his 5th Miami final & his 28th Masters final (17 wins & 10 losses).

1891167_10152260909643847_1140251044_n.j

Kei Nishikori announcing to the media that he is pulling out of Miami due to a groin injury

With his retirement, since January, 2013, Nishikori became the 12th player to have lost/forfeited his next match after having beaten Roger Federer in his last match.

A look back at stats since January, 2012 tells us 20 players have lost/forfeited their next match after beating Roger Federer & only 5 players have managed to win their next match.

Here's a quick recap of all Federer's losses from January, 2012 onwards & what happened to his opponents in the next match -------

(i) January, 2012 - Australian Open - lost in the SF to Rafa Nadal & Rafa lost the final vs Djokovic.

(ii) March, 2012- Miami Masters- Federer lost in the 3rd Round to Andy Roddick & Roddick lost his next match vs Monaco & even got bagelled in the 2nd set.

(iii) May, 2012: Rome Masters: Federer lost in the semis to Djokovic & Djokovic lost in the finals vs Nadal.

(iv) June, 2012: French Open: Federer lost in the semis to Djokovic & Djokovic lost in the finals vs Nadal.

(v) June, 2012:  Halle final- Federer lost in the Halle final vs Tommy Haas, Haas lost his 1st Round Wimbledon match vs Kohlschreiber

(vi) July, 2012: Olympics final: Federer lost in the singles Gold medal vs Andy Murray & Murray lost the mixed doubles final match partnering with Laura Robson vs Azarenka/Miryni immediately after the singles final.

(vii) September, 2012: US Open: Federer lost in the QF vs Berdych & Berdych lost his SF Match vs Andy Murray.

(viii) October, 2012: Shanghai Masters: Federer lost in the SF vs Andy Murray & in the finals, Murray lost to Djokovic even after having a match point.

In 2012: only 2 players who defeated Roger Federer won their next match.

John Isner after defeating Federer in the Davis Cup won his next match at Memphis.

& Juan Martin Del Potro after beating Federer in the final of Basel, won his 1st match at Bercy Masters.

& now coming to 2013 :::

(i) January, 2013: Australian Open: Murray defeated Federer in the semis & then lost in the final vs Djokovic.

(ii)  February, 2013: Dubai Open: Berdych defeated Federer in the semis & then lost in the final vs Djokovic.

(iii) May, 2013: Madrid Masters: Nishikori defeated Federer in the 3rd round & then lost his next match vs Andujar.

(iv) June, 2013: French Open: Tsonga defeated Federer in the QF & then lost his next match vs Ferrer (SF).

(v) June, 2013: Wimbledon: Sergiy Stakhovsky defeated Federer in the 2nd round & then lost his next match vs Melzner.

(vi) July, 2013: German Open, Hamburg: Federico Delbonis defeated Federer in the semis & then lost his next match vs Fognini.

(vii) July, 2013: Swiss Open, Gstaad: Federer lost in the 1st round vs Daniel Brands & Brands lost his next match vs Victor Hanescu.

(viii) September, 2013: US Open: Tommy Robredo defeated Federer in the 4th round & then lost his next match vs Nadal.

(ix) October, 2013: Shanghai Masters: Gael Monfils defeated Federer in the QF & then lost his next match vs Djokovic.

2013 exceptions were:

(i) Rafa Nadal thrice (Indian Wells, Rome Masters & Cincinnati Masters)

(ii) Julien Benneteau: Rotterdam Open.

(iii) Juan Martin Del Petro: Basel final again & won his next match at Bercy Masters.

(iv) Novak Djokovic - twice: defeated Federer in the semis & then won the final vs Ferrer & then, at World Tour Finals, defeated Federer in the round robin stage & then, won his next match vs Gasquet.

& the trend continues in 2014

Lleyton Hewitt defeated Federer in the final of Brisbane Open & then lost his 1st round match of Australian Open vs Andreas Seppi.

Rafa Nadal defeated Federer in the semis of Australian Open & then, Rafa lost in the finals vs Stan Wawrinka.

& now, Kei Nishikori defeated Federer in the Quarters of Miami Masters & then, had to withdraw from semis...

So, clearly in the last 28 months, 20 players have lost their next match after beating Federer while only 5 players (Isner, Del Potro, Djokovic, Nadal & Benneteau) have managed to win their next match after beating Federer.

That leaves us with one conclusion---

Beating Roger Federer means the Kiss of Death for opponents?

post-2-0-07244100-1353532040_thumb.jpg

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#2 Guest_Praneet Mysore_*

Guest_Praneet Mysore_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:01 AM

Super analysis:)

#3 Guest_Prabin Agrawal_*

Guest_Prabin Agrawal_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:29 AM

I completely disagree with this topic.

1. In 9 of those 20 matches when the opponent has beaten federer has faced either Nadal or Djokovic in the next round.so they lost to these player and it has nothing to do with their win against Federer.

Beating Federer means kiss of death for opponents,seriously!!!!!!!!

You want to give credit to Federer even though the opponent defeated Federer and then lost in next round to players like Nadal, Djokovic or Murray.

2. In many of the mentioned cases,  the opponent has defeated Federer  in one turny and lost in first round of next turny. How is someones loss in one turny is related to their win against a particular someone in a previous turny. care to explain????

This caption is completely wrong and logicless.......

#4 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

I would not say that this is an illogical topic at all!!!

It could be coincidence, or there could be more to it. A hard match against physically against Federer would be more difficult to recover from, or even the effect on the mind of a lower ranked player could play in such a way to slightly lose their focus in the following match as they still have thoughts of what they have recently achieved. Who knows?

Illogical, no. Co-incidence, possibly. Interesting thought .... yes :)

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

@prabin: Your criticism of the caption & the title is not fair. You have raised the point that 4-5 times those players have lost to Nole or Rafa. Agreed, isn't it mentioned in the original post?

Every match details have been mentioned. & I couldn't find a line, where he has given credit to Roger Federer? Its just a pure satirical write-up by Vibhu & it seems, you are reading his article for the first time?

He is the last person, who will praise any one or downgrade any one. Also, when the topic title has a question mark, its never an imposition, just a creative way of getting a discussion going to get feed-back of others. So, enjoy the fun & its not demeaning or downgrading any one in any way..

I enjoyed the caption, Vibhu, keep posting more such funny write-ups...

Cheers Kim

#6 Rita

Rita

Roger Federer Fans 2nd Grand Slam Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Current mood: Fine

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:03 PM

Agree. Tongue-in-cheek is the way I read it.  What a ridiculous thing to get all hot under the collar about! 

#7 paddy

paddy

Roger Federer Fans Newbie

• Members +
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Current mood: Angelic

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:55 AM

@Prabin...chill out...don't take life so seriously.

Enjoyed the article, thanks.

#8 Tennis Lover

Tennis Lover

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

Roger should've won that one! :P

#9 Guest_RAFALUTION_*

Guest_RAFALUTION_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:20 PM

Beating Roger Federer is the kiss of death!!

#10 Guest_RAFALUTION_*

Guest_RAFALUTION_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:25 PM

In addition to all said above, yes it being separate tournaments, yes it being tongue-in-cheek(y) and yes to the SMALL, yet present notation that Novak and Rafa can back wins over Federer- IMO, Federer is just losing to guys ranked a little lower than his norm.. (Excluding Novak/Rafa). All players will lose to players they 'shouldn't' lose to- it's called an 'upset' and it happens to many players- can't count how many times Sharapova has lost and her opponent is out next round. It happens. I don't think it's particular to Fed. It's amusing however, and not gone unnoticed. I'm disliking him being taken out too early- I need him around my draws longer.

#11 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 3,256 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:07 AM

Woooooow  ;), you make me happy and smiling while I read the article, chapeau bas Vibhu ;) 

And yeah this is very true, Beating Roger Federer means the Kiss of Death for opponents!!! 

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#12 Guest_Pearce_*

Guest_Pearce_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:07 PM

@prabin sounds like its that time of the month... btw loved the article

#13 raghumedi

raghumedi

Roger Federer Fans Newbie

• Members +
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNew Delhi

Current mood: Bookworm

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:48 PM

Good article

#14 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:38 AM

Thanks for all your comments...

The trend continued at Davis Cup QF tie vs Kazakhstan, Federer & Wawrinka lost the doubles vs Golubev & Aleksandr Nedovyesov.

Of course, Andrey Golubev lost the reverse singles match vs Roger Federer. To every critic of this topic, I have written all exceptions in the 1st topic & I am not giving credit to Federer for his opponent's defeats, just merely stating the facts as they stand....

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#15 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:00 AM

& Today, Stan Wawrinka got defeated by Dominic Thiem 6-1, 2-6, 4-6 in the 2nd Round of Mutua Madrid Open, 2014.

This was Stan Wawrinka's 1st match after beating Federer at Monte Carlo. So, bring on the trolls again :)....

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#16 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:34 AM

Update: & today, Jeremy Chardy became just the 6th guy in the last 30 month to escape Kiss Of Death after having beaten Federer in the previous match....

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#17 FedererTipsa

FedererTipsa

Roger Federer Fans Challenger Title

• Members +
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationFrance but living in Taiwan right now

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:21 PM

I am not sure if it is a coincidence or just a letdown after a big performance.

Roger Federer himself lost to Tim Henman after defeating Pete Sampras back in 2001.

Rosol lost to Kohlschreiber after defeating Nadal ... Darcis the year after defeated Nadal and withdrew before playing against Kubot.

I think it's more of a letdown after defeating a huge opponent, suddenly expectations get big and you lose.

Just my 2 cents of course.

#18 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:30 AM

Good point, maybe goes to explain why this tends to happen ;)

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#19 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:43 PM

& today, Ernests Gulbis became just the 7th guy in the last 32 months to escape the kiss of death & the 1st guy post Novak Djokovic (did it in September, 2011- about 42 months back)  to win a match at a grand slam after having defeated Roger Federer in the last match.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+