#1 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: Busy

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:47 AM

As you all are aware that Monte Carlo Masters 2014 (the only non mandatory ATP 1000 Masters) tournament is currently going on.

Before, we go any further, let us firstly look at the last announced ATP points of the Top 25. These are the points that ATP last announced on 14th April, 2014 ---

top%2025.png

The following other questions are most relevant from an ATP ranking point of view ::

(i) Will there be a change in the rankings of Top-4 after Monte Carlo Rolex Masters 2014?

(ii) Can Roger Federer get back in to Top-3 if he wins the Monte Carlo Rolex Masters 2014 title or reaches the finals?

(iii) How much the points difference will be between Rafael Nadal  & Novak Djokovic after Monte Carlo Rolex Masters 2014?

(iv) What will be the ATP points of Top 4 be in the ATP Ranking points to be declared on 21st April, 2014 (after Monte Carlo Rolex Masters 2014)?

For getting the answers to all these questions about ranking scenario and possibilities during & immediately after Monte Carlo Rolex Masters 2014, please read on.

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#2 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:12 AM

Before we go any further, let me firstly remind you how many ATP points are at stake in ATP 1000 tournaments including Monte Carlo Masters, 2014?

1. The winner gets 1000 points.

2. The losing finalist gets 600 points.

3. The losing Semi-finalist gets 360 points each.

4. The losing Quarter-Finalist gets 180 points each.

5. The loser of Round of 16 gets 90 points each.

6. The loser of Round of 32 takes 45 points each. (but, the top 8 seeds who get a bye in the Round of 64 will get only 10 points in case they lose out in the Round of 32).

7. The winner of Round of 64 gets 10 points each.

8 points are awarded to first round losers only if the main draw is larger than 56 players in case of ATP 1000 Tournaments.

Also, it needs to be mentioned that the the top 8 seeds get a bye in their first match in ATP 1000 Tournaments having 56 players in the main draw while 32 Top seeds get a bye in a 96 players main draw ATP 1000 Tourny.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#3 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:13 AM

How ATP Points work for Monte Carlo Masters?

As Monte Carlo Masters is a non-mandatory ATP 1000 (Masters tournaments), so the Top-30 commitment players don't lose any points for not playing in Monte Carlo (or in other words, Monte Carlo points can be replaced with another ATP-500 or ATP-250 or even Davis Cup or Olympics or World Team Championship or even challengers for that matter).

As per ATP rules (rule passed in November, 2011), in the ranking points of Top-30 committed players (apart from 4 grand slams and the mandatory 8 ATP-1000 tournaments), the best results from 6 tournaments (those can be ATP-250, ATP-500 tournament or Monte Carlo Masters or Olympics or Davis Cup or Challengers or Futures or World Team Championship) are to be added.

But, the only condition is that the Top-30 committed players need to play four ATP-500 tournaments with at least one ATP-500 tournament after US Open.

Thus, if any committed player plays only 2 ATP-500 tournaments with no ATP-500 tournament after US Open, he will be able to count only the ATP points from his best 4 Tournaments (Non Masters, Non Grand slams but can include Monte Carlo Masters points).

Thus in a nutshell, to make it easy for you, though, Monte Carlo is an ATP-1000 tournament giving 1000 points to the winner just like the other 8 mandatory ATP-1000 tournaments but how ever, the points of Monte Carlo Masters are not mandatorily added to the points of players participating in Monte Carlo Masters.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#4 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:22 AM

Here is the per round calculation sheet of Top-8 players post Monte Carlo Rolex Masters 2014 ::

Attached File  monte carlo 2014.pdf   153.62KB   662 downloads

PS: Feel Free to download it to understand how points are added & subtracted.

In the above chart, I haven't put in the points of Murray/Delpo/Isner/Gasquet as they are not playing at Monte Carlo.

Also, as I explained in above post, as a commitment player is allowed to add results of his best 6 tournaments provided he has completed the commitment of playing at 4 ATP-500 tourneys (with one of those being after US Open).

So, just to explain you, Roger Federer by virtue of playing at Monte Carlo Masters will complete the commitment of playing in 4 ATP-500 tourneys, thus, his best 6 results will get counted. His least points are from Brisbane 150 points, thus, those will get deducted after he reaches QF or above.

Thus, you will notice, that the net gain of ATP Points even if Roger Federer reaches the QF is only 30 points (180 for Monte Carlo, 2014- 150 points lost because of the 6 best tourney rule).

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#5 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:32 AM

From the above calculation sheet, these are the main ranking scenario changes that we can see after Monte Carlo Masters, 2014 ::

(i) Rafa Nadal & Novak Djokovic will remain #1 & #2 irrespective of the results @ Monte Carlo, 2014.

(ii) Stan Wawrinka will stay as #3 unless Federer reaches finals of Monte Carlo & Wawrinka loses during the QF stage.

(iii) Federer is assured to remain #4 unless Ferrer or Berdych win Monte Carlo title. (valid only if Federer loses on or before the Quarter-final stage).

(iv) If Federer reaches the semi-finals of Monte Carlo, he will assure himself of #4 ranking, even if David Ferrer wins the Monte Carlo title..

(v)  Roger Federer can at best get to #3 ranking post Monte Carlo Masters, 2014 ------

if he reaches the finals of Monte Carlo & Wawrinka loses before the Semi-final stage

or if Federer wins the Monte Carlo Rolex Masters, 2014 title.

Rest almost every thing has been explained in the chart above...

For any query about any other's players ranking, feel free to drop in a comment or add me on any of the social networking sites mentioned in my signature. I will try to reply as soon as possible.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#6 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

Once again I take my hat off to you Vibhu for working logically through the complexities of the ranking calculations.

Even then with Monte Carlo counting, or not counting, my poor head is spinning ... have never been one for figures :rolleyes:

It may be a daft question, but what does the -150 signify in Roger's column on the .PDF ?
He didn't play last year so surely he has no points to defend?

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#7 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:10 AM

Now, Federer has ensured #4 ranking post Monte Carlo.

Federer will get to #3 if he wins the Monte Carlo Masters trophy else Wawrinka will remain the #3....

David Ferrer has got up to #5 in the rankings & even, if he wins the title, he will remain #5....

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#8 Guest_Itamar Axelrad_*

Guest_Itamar Axelrad_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:23 PM

What's the status if federer beats wavrinka in the finals? Is that enough to go up to number 3?

#9 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:07 PM

What's the status if federer beats wavrinka in the finals? Is that enough to go up to number 3?

yes, who so ever wins the final, will be #3... read the chart 3 posts above this....

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+