• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Match report, pics, video highlights from Roger Federer vs Stanislas Wawrinka, 2014 Monte Carlo Rolex Masters

roger federer stan wawrinka monte carlo 2014 monte carlo all swiss

20 replies to this topic

#1 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: Snobbish

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:50 PM

Stan Wawrinka won his 1st ever ATP-1000 masters tournament as he defeated Roger Federer 4-6, 7-6 (5), 6-2 in 2 hours & 14 minutes to clinch Monte Carlo Rolex Masters title.

10151863_716797215030699_850282569489079

This is Wawrinka's 7th career title & his 3rd title of 2014 (other two being Chennai Open, Australian Open). This win ensured that Stan Wawrinka will remain as the World No. 3, Swiss No. 1 & No. 1 in the Year To Date (Race to London rankings). For the detailed write-up on ATP rankings post Monte Carlo, click here.

It was possibly for the first time ever that two finalists had practiced together before the start of the match

Blqkis6CMAEmZdZ.jpg

Stan Wawrinka & Federer practicing together before the match & Severin Luthi (Swiss Davis Cup captain & Federer's coach) decided to sit in Federer's box after informing Wawrinka.

Set-1

Federer started the match aggressively, he looked much sharper than Wawrinka. The Swiss No. 1 looked nervous & Federer took the early advantage breaking Stan's service in the 5th game to get to a 3-2 lead. This was the 1st time that Wawrinka's service got broken in this tournament after 29 successive service holds.

The next 4 games went on serve as Federer wrapped up the 1st set in the 10th game winning the 1st set 6-4 in 42 minutes.

Here are the 1st set stats ---

Blq4lNTCQAAg5Eb.jpg

Though, Wawrinka had more winners, but also had more unforced errors. Federer's net game was also spot on during the 1st set.

2nd Set

Federer lead the head to head 13-1 vs Wawrinka & after the 1st set, it looked as if Federer will make it 14-1. But, Wawrinka began to find the range in his game in the 2nd set. Wawrinka's broke Federer's service in the 2nd game to get to a 2-0 lead. But, the 17 time slam champ broke right back to make it 2-1.

There was a 5 minute rain delay after the 5th game as Wawrinka lead by 3-2. Wawrinka looked more sharp after the rain delay. The next 7 games went on service as the set went to tie-breaker.

Wawrinka started the tie breaker aggressively & got the 1st mini break & lead 4-2 after the 1st changeover. The next 3 points went on service & Wawrinka had 3 set points as he lead by 6-3.

Federer managed to save two set points to make it 6-5, but Wawrinka won the set on his 3rd set point to win the tie-breaker 7-5. The second set lasted 58 minutes.

Here are the 2nd set stats ----

BlrF6EHCAAEsR2H.jpg

This was the 3rd successive Federer-Wawrinka match that went to the deciding 3rd set.

3rd Set

Wawrinka had all the momentum going in to the 3rd set. He broke Federer's service in the 1st & 3rd game to get to a 4-0 lead. Wawrinka then wrapped up the match in the 8th game as he sealed his 2nd win over Federer in 15 matches with a rasping forehand winner.

The end score-line read 4-6, 7-6 (5), 6-2 and here are the overall match stats -----

BlrNtqnCAAAjUrQ.jpg

Wawrinka's game after the 1st set went up a level while Federer's game dropped & he made a lot of unforced errors in the 3rd set as is evident from the stats.

This victory ensured that Wawrinka became only the 2nd man (after David Ferrer) in the last 40 months (last 30 ATP-1000 tourneys) to have won an ATP 1000 Masters title other than the big 4 (Nadal, Djokovic, Federer & Murray).

Federer in his speech at the trophy presentation ceremony described it as a fantastic pleasure to have played Stan Wawrinka in such a big final.

Wawrinka in his interview speech at the trophy presentation ceremony described Federer as the greatest player of all time & an honor to play against him & thanked him for having done so much for the game of Tennis.

Scroll down for more pictures, video highlights, insights, interview quotes from the match.

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#2 sausan

sausan

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 3,256 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:57 PM

Here's pics from the match 

Roger+Federer+ATP+Masters+Series+Monte+C

tumblr_n4cingVKXX1rlws4ro1_500.jpg

1609780_711212255591788_7108031232025194

1623658_711195902260090_5575582094973992

1533817_711210132258667_6911625303846494

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#3 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:41 PM

It makes me sad to read the "Tweets" of some so say Federer fans following a loss like today. Nobody is superhuman. No tennis player, how ever much you love them, can win every match they play. The big bonus to true Federer Fans was that Roger decided to take up a wild card for Monte Carlo AND we got to see him play right through to the final! I certainly would not begrudge Stan Wawrinka his victory. He earned it and was the stronger player in that final set. In fact if anybody was to beat Roger, I could not wish for anyone other than Stan. But that's me. I am sure that Roger, though sad at his loss, would have been delighted to see his good friend win his first ATP Masters 1000 title. Chalk another one up for Swiss tennis too :)

10151863_716797215030699_850282569489079

1625514_711227745590239_3030224661932731

Despite being from the UK, I felt emotional and an enormous sense of pride watching the walk on at the beginning of the final. Two Swiss players. Two Swiss flags. I had tears in my eyes ... and that is not a feeling I get watching players from my own country, or any other country for that matter.

Stanislas+Wawrinka+ATP+Masters+Series+Mo

Photo: Julian Finney

With wearing headphones to pick up the all round atmosphere of the court, one thing I did notice at the beginning of the third set was the sound of a baby crying and it kept it up for a few games. Stan is a parent too, but with Roger so tuned to the imminent arrival of a new member of his family, maybe that sound of a small soul in distress disrupted his concentration. Pure speculation I know.

There are a lot of positives Roger can take away from Monte Carlo. Overall it's been an encouraging start to the clay season. Some great shot making with increased power thanks to the new racquet. He has, until today, managed to play his way out of trouble. He has remained injury free and am sure he has learned where he needs to work harder in training.

1977468_711227455590268_8897448617005236

My main wish is that Mirka is OK and that the new baby arrives, healthy and without any problems for either of them and that Roger is there to enjoy that special time with his family. So with that also at the back of his mind, as fans we surely must appreciate every moment we see Roger on court at the moment.

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#4 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:50 PM

Here's a video of the presentation ceremony

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#5 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:52 PM

And a couple of highlights packages

#6 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:13 PM

Another highlights package ... In black and white

#7 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:34 PM

Roger Federer's post match presser clips

Video: ATP World Tour

Sounds like Roger has a bit of a cold there too .... :(

#8 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 3,256 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:49 PM

More pics

1904173_711226962256984_5512253756040959

10253818_711227098923637_670938686746702

1600982_711227105590303_3616883855747046

10268674_711227318923615_862817121759116

1011810_711227005590313_5719797078431316

10155625_711227378923609_721668229980819

10176168_711227692256911_152218539474298

10250120_711227768923570_274374739502503

1977468_711227455590268_8897448617005236

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#9 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:50 PM

Stan Wawrinka's post match on court interview

Video: ATP World Tour

#10 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:40 AM

highlights

set-1

set-2

set-3

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#11 Roger Federer Fans

Roger Federer Fans

Site Admin & WebMaster

• Moderators-
  • 1,693 posts

Current mood: Inspired

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:10 AM

Federer's post match press conference interview ----

Q.  I'm sure you're very disappointed. 
ROGER FEDERER:  Not so disappointed, no. 

Q.  But losing against Stan, your friend, partner in our Davis Cup team, that gives you some positive thought.  Maybe it's not so bad. 

ROGER FEDERER:  Exactly.  You make it sound so bad, and at the end it's not so bad. 
I started from not so bad to a bit frustrated that maybe you don't win it.  Like you said, I think it's one of the those finals that I could have won.  But Stan, you know, was tougher at the end.  I think he deserved it just a little bit more. 
Clearly it would have been nice to win that second set tiebreaker.  I didn't necessarily play a bad one, but also at the same time I didn't quite ever get into the lead where things went my way. 
Of course, I'm very happy for Stan.  It's a huge win for him after winning his first Grand Slam this year, also to win his first Masters 1000.  To take the opportunities when they're there, that's key in a tennis player's career.  So I'm very happy for him. 

Q.  Is it more difficult to play with the same usual intensity against a friend with whom you have played and practiced in the morning?  Did you feel something was missing today in your will to come back?

ROGER FEDERER:  No.

Q.  How do you explain in the last eight serves of Wawrinka, you made only six points?

ROGER FEDERER:  I think he served better.  He definitely found his range.  As the match went on, he started to feel more and more comfortable.  I struggled to put him under pressure enough.  I think it was a bit of both players:  him raising his game, me maybe going down a notch. 
I think it's a big match, regardless of the opponent, because it's a finals.  Playing Stan just adds to the excitement in some ways. 
The thing is just that you really know the patterns well of the other player.  I know patterns well when I play Novak, Rafa, or Murray for that matter.  Of course, they can surprise you to a degree, but it's more surprising when you play somebody for the first time. 
With Stan, we've practiced so much together and played each other also quite a lot, so I really know his patterns, he knows mine.  Very rarely can we really, like on match point, hit a clean winner like that.  Okay, he chased the line and it worked for him. 
So many points end, you know, in overpowering or out maneuvering your opponent because you know the patterns so well.  That's the biggest change I felt in the match today against somebody I know so well.

Q.  Can you explain why the third set got away from you?  Your level dropped?  Stan was more aggressive?

ROGER FEDERER:  A bit of both.  I don't think I served quite so well early on in the third set.  Like I said, I think he really found his range and started to hit bigger, deeper.  He didn't miss that many second serve returns anymore.  He gave me a couple cheap points in the first couple sets which he later on really didn't give me anymore.  So it made it tougher for me. 
Maybe got into some bad starts to my service games which then allowed him to sort of open up a bit.  I think clearly he was relieved as well winning that second set that gave him that extra belief or looseness to his shots which he was missing a little bit midway through the second, which was normal, because he was under pressure trying to stay in the match. 

Q.  For sure it is the first tournament on clay.  After this tournament, looking to Djokovic and Nadal, who had some problems, do you think the players who go very well to Roland Garros is bigger now? 

ROGER FEDERER:  What's bigger? 

Q.  More players, they can play better and win Roland Garros.  You and Wawrinka could possibly be winners. 

ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, but I still think we would have had an outside chance would we have lost first round.  For me it doesn't change.  It's still the same. 

Nothing happened to Rafa really.  He just lost a match, which happens.  But he's fine.  I'm sure he'll be his usual self again moving forward. 
With Novak it's a bit more of a question mark.  If he's in great shape, he's clearly one of the big favorites with Rafa.  Everybody else sort of comes after that. 

I think we're right there as well with Stan now.  We've put ourselves in positions time and time again.  This was one of those weeks we were able to capitalize on it.  Stan did the same at the Australian Open.  I did it in Dubai.  It's definitely a good start to the season for I think all four of us really. 
I would have loved to have won a second title because I've come close a few times.  That's my next objective, that I get to the very end more frequently.  But clearly I'm happy that the clay court season started so well for me. 

Q.  You play so much at the net.  Is this a new key of the new Federer by Edberg or... 

ROGER FEDERER:  I mean, I think I've always tried to come in to a degree.  When I started with Tony Roche, everybody thought I was at the net more.  When I started with Paul Annacone, everybody thought I was at the net more.  Now I started with Edberg, everybody thinks I'm at the net more. 
You think back, I actually was at the net, more than other players.  I think I'm continuing that trend.  I must say I feel actually quite confident and good at the net.  

I've definitely gone through phases as well in my career where I didn't just quite feel it at the net.  But now I think when I'm coming to net, I'm choosing the right shots to come in.  I'm reading the plays well.  I'm moving well at the net, even though on clay it's always a bit tricky with not having the grip so much like on the hard courts. 

It's something I definitely have to keep on doing.  I can play from the back sometimes.  I can hit flat sometimes.  I definitely also have to mix it up by coming forward a bit more often. 
Maybe I should have done it a bit more today.  But I still think I played okay throughout this tournament and also in the match today. 

THE MODERATOR:  Questions in French for Roger. 

Q. You played a lot since the beginning of the season.  Did you have less intensity at the end of the match because of it?  Besides, what is your schedule now? 

ROGER FEDERER:  I'm going back home because I need to recuperate.  I played with a lot of intensity during the past month and I'm happy that I can relax.  I wasn't able to do that after Geneva.  I feel that I'm tired.  My body feels strange and I need to sleep. 

At the end of the third set, after the fifth day in a row of playing, I might have lacked that 2% that made a difference.  But the credit is for Stan.  He was able to stay in the match. 

Q.  From outside this final, it seemed a family party with the older brother playing against the younger brother.  Everybody was giving back points to the opponent. 

ROGER FEDERER:  Well, it was, of course, a great pleasure to share this moment with Stan.  As to the line calls and everything, it was just as it normally should be between players. 

I didn't feel frustrated.  I was happy for Stan.  I was congratulating him.  As far as I'm concerned, I focused on myself.  I didn't look at Severin.  I didn't want anybody to feel uneasy.  The important thing was that everybody agreed. 

It was all right with me because I played so many finals already.  I was relaxed.  The important thing was that Stan had to feel comfortable.  Before anything else, it was a tennis celebration on a beautiful court. 

Q.  Did you get enough information about what you had to work on?

ROGER FEDERER:  In the beginning of the clay court season, you always work on many things.  It is non stop.  You're reassessing your game all the time.  It was good that Pierre was there.  He was able to see live how I was moving on the court. 

My tennis game is pretty good.  Sliding was more difficult.  It was slippery at times.  But the more you play, the more you get used to it.  I'm very happy with this week. 

Q.  You were saying you were tired.  Are you still going to play Rome, Madrid and the French Open? 

ROGER FEDERER:  That's the plan.  It's just after those five days and playing a lot the past month that I was feeling a bit tired after the second set.  I still tried whatever I could to stay in the match. 

The beginning of the third set was a bit tough.  He was on the rise.  I tried to start my engine again, and somehow I didn't really succeed.  But my schedule is open and the plan is to play Rome, Madrid and the French Open. 

Q.  Here you were not far from winning.  Are you satisfied with that or do you really want to be able to go one step further and win it? 

ROGER FEDERER:  Well, you must see the positive side.  Try not to be disappointed or frustrated.  What I see is that if I'm in that position again, if I keep trying as I did, at a certain point it's going to go my way, like it did in my match against Jo. 

If you feel good mentally, then things are going to turn out good.  Winning a Masters 1000 is never easy anyway. 

Subscribe us via -----

E-mail Subscription | Twitter | G Plus | FB |

Read our ---

Disclosure| FAQ

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this site & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time member of RF Fans.

#12 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:09 AM

On the topic of Single Handed BH players -----

(i) The last time, 2 single handed BH players met in finals of an #ATP1000 masters on clay was 8 yrs-11months bk @ #HamburgMasters (#Federer v #Gasquet).

(ii) The last time, 2 single handed BH players met in finals of an #ATP1000 masters on non-clay was Cincinnati Masters, 2007 - ( Roger Federer vs James Blake).

(iii) The last time 2 single handed Back Handed players played in Monte Carlo final was on 22nd April,2001,when Gustavo Kuerten played Hicham Arazi.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#13 Rita

Rita

Roger Federer Fans 2nd Grand Slam Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Current mood: Fine

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:46 AM

Thanks, as always, for the "stuff" everyone.  Great pics and always nice to have a transcript of the presser as I only ever get to see shortened versions.   Wendy, it does sound a bit like Roger has a cold. He said he was tired and needs to sleep, but unlike some other players he's not likely to admit to being under the weather after a match and take some of the victory away from his opponent is he.   I was surprised by today's result but not unhappy, and I don't think Roger was either.  To me, he seemed a bit flat throughout the match, even in the beginning, like his heart wasn't really in it.  I'm sure he wanted to win, of course he did, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was inwardly torn between that and wanting to see Stan get his first 1000. Roger's a much nicer, more sensitive, guy than some people give him credit for.  I do think the new baby must be on his mind as well.

Hope he gets the rest he needs before Madrid.  Weren't we lucky to see him play this week.  Unexpected bonus :)  And considering I didn't really expect him to get beyond the semis, an appearance in the final was great.  I think as well as winning Dubai he's made the final or semi final in all but one tournament so far this year, hasn't he?  That's not bad at all.  Allez Roger! 

#14 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:20 AM

.... I was surprised by today's result but not unhappy, and I don't think Roger was either. To me, he seemed a bit flat throughout the match, even in the beginning, like his heart wasn't really in it. I'm sure he wanted to win, of course he did, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was inwardly torn between that and wanting to see Stan get his first 1000. Roger's a much nicer, more sensitive, guy than some people give him credit for. I do think the new baby must be on his mind as well.

I got that feeling too Rita and totally agree with your point about Roger being a thoughtful and sensitive guy. Really it cannot have been easy for either of them, stepping out there playing a good friend, knowing what victory would mean to that friend too.

Roger is that shade older than Stan. In fact I seem to remember the comms saying that if Roger wins this he will be the oldest player to win a Masters 1000 since Andre Agassi but can't recall when that was :rolleyes: Besides that the matches falling on consecutive days, then there has been training and a couple of social commitments. It all adds up. Yes Roger did appear to lose his edge and looked tired by the third set, whereas Stan overcame initial nerves to settle more into the swing of the match. Whatever the reason, it is now over. To have both Swiss players in the final was tremendous. Something I am sure they will remember for many years to come. I hope they get time to relax with their families now and Roger is given some peace by the media so he catch up with his sleep :)

#15 Guest_Farbod Etemadi_*

Guest_Farbod Etemadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:46 AM

Happy for Stan and also so very happy to see Roger back in the principality ... Great start to the season and looking so very forward for the rest.

#16 Tennis Lover

Tennis Lover

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:22 PM

I wanted Roger to finally win in Monte Carlo and was naturally disappointed, since this was the best opportunity of his career to win MC without Nadal in the final, but I am happy for Stan. If Roger had to lose to someone, it would be best that Stan is that someone. Let's hope Roger can win Rome Masters 1000 and French Open. That will be something!

#17 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

Thanks to the ATP website have now clarified the point I had forgotten earlier  :rolleyes: 

If Roger had won Monte Carlo yesterday, at 32 he would have become the oldest player to win an ATP Masters 1000 title since Andre Agassi won Cincinnati in 2004 at the age of 34.

There is time yet, he was so very nearly there ....

#18 Rita

Rita

Roger Federer Fans 2nd Grand Slam Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Current mood: Fine

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:16 PM

Thanks to the ATP website have now clarified the point I had forgotten earlier  :rolleyes: 

If Roger had won Monte Carlo yesterday, at 32 he would have become the oldest player to win an ATP Masters 1000 title since Andre Agassi won Cincinnati in 2004 at the age of 34.

There is time yet, he was so very nearly there ....

Of course there is, and when he wins his next 1000 he'll be even older :)

#19 chris90

chris90

Roger Federer Fans 100 Title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:45 AM

On the topic of Single Handed BH players -----

(i) The last time, 2 single handed BH players met in finals of an #ATP1000 masters on clay was 8 yrs-11months bk @ #HamburgMasters (#Federer v #Gasquet).

(ii) The last time, 2 single handed BH players met in finals of an #ATP1000 masters on non-clay was Cincinnati Masters, 2009- ( Roger Federer vs James Blake).

(iii) The last time 2 single handed Back Handed players played in Monte Carlo final was on 22nd April,2001,when Gustavo Kuerten played Hicham Arazi.

The final Roger vs Blake was in 2007. In 2009 he played against djokovic.

I'm really happy because he reached the finals but i'm sad because he lost. I still can't understand what happened in the 3rd  set. Another thing i can't stop thinking about is which tournaments he is going to skip because of his child's birth.

#20 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:49 PM

The final Roger vs Blake was in 2007. In 2009 he played against djokovic.

I'm really happy because he reached the finals but i'm sad because he lost. I still can't understand what happened in the 3rd  set. Another thing i can't stop thinking about is which tournaments he is going to skip because of his child's birth.

Thanks, it was a typo while posting here. I had tweeted it three days back right here.

That's a hard question, but, only thing that I can tell u is that the expected delivery date of baby/babies is coming very soon & I can only hope, that he will play all 3 (Madrid, Rome & French).....

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+