#1 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,662 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:30 AM

Italian Open is the last big tournament before French Open. The rankings post Italian Open will help to decide the seedings for Roland Garros, 2014. As the draw of Roland Garros is on 23rd May, 2014 (Friday), the seedings of Roland Garros will be based on the ATP Rankings post Italian Open, 2014.

This is how the ATP rankings of Top-20 looked like, just before the start of Italian Open, 2014 -----

10369220_595304687232883_791241578890836

The following questions are most relevant from an ATP ranking point of view ::

(i) Will there be a change in the rankings of Top-4 after Italian Open 2014?

rankingsssssssssssssss.jpg

(ii) Can Roger Federer get back in to Top-3 after Italian Open or will Stan Wawrinka still be the #3 ranked player after Italian Open, 2014?

(iii) Will Rafael Nadal retain his #1 ranking post Italian Open or can, Djokovic regain #1 ranking after 33 weeks? How much the points difference will be between Rafael Nadal  & Novak Djokovic after Italian Open 2014?

(iv) What will be the ATP points of Top 8 be in the ATP Ranking points to be declared on 9th May, 2014 (after Italian Open 2014)?

(v)  Will Roger Federer stay in the Top-4 after Italian Open, 2014 & get a Top-4 seeding at French Open, 2014?

For getting the answers to all these questions about ranking scenarios and possibilities during & immediately after Italian Open 2014 and the ranking scenarios for all other players including Andy Murray, David Ferrer, Tomas Berdych, Del potro, John Isner, Tsonga, Gasquet, Raonic, Dimitrov, Nishikori, Fognini please scroll down to the following posts or click here.

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#2 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:55 PM

Before we go any further, here's a quick reminder of how many ATP points are at stake in ATP 1000 tournaments including Italian Open (Roma Masters), 2014?

1. The winner gets 1000 points.

2. The losing finalist gets 600 points.

3. The losing Semi-finalist gets 360 points each.

4. The losing Quarter-Finalist gets 180 points each.

5. The loser of Round of 16 gets 90 points each.

6. The loser of Round of 32 takes 45 points each. (but, the top 8 seeds who get a bye in the Round of 64 will get only 10 points in case they lose out in the Round of 32).

7. The winner of Round of 64 gets 10 points each.

8 points are awarded to first round losers only if the main draw is larger than 56 players in case of ATP 1000 Tournaments.

Also, it needs to be mentioned that the the top 8 seeds get a bye in their first match in ATP 1000 Tournaments having 56 players in the main draw while 32 Top seeds get a bye in a 96 players main draw ATP 1000 Tourney.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#3 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:38 PM

Here is the per round calculation sheet of Top-8 players post Madrid Italian Open, 2014 ::

Attached File  roma 2014 by Vibhu batra.pdf   163.41KB   462 downloads

PS: Feel Free to download it to understand how points are added & subtracted.

For further analysis of the ranking changes possible after Madrid Masters, 2014, scroll down...

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#4 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:51 AM

From the above calculation sheet, these are the main ranking scenario changes that we can see after Rome Masters, 2014 ::

(i) Rafa Nadal's #1 ATP ranking is safe till the end of Italian Open, as you can see from the above chart. Thus, Rafa Nadal will at least be #1 for *at least* 3 more weeks & will complete 137 weeks @ #ATP #1 on the final day of French Open, 2014.

(ii)  Stan Wawrinka's #3 ranking will be 100% safe if he reaches the semi-finals of Italian Open, 2014.

(iii) Roger Federer can only get to #3 rank post Italian Open if he reaches the final & Wawrinka loses before the Semi-final stage.

The most important thing from a ranking perspective is - will Federer be ranked #4 after Italian Open, 2014 & get a Top-4 seeding at Roland Garros, 2014

I have discussed it in great details right here.

Just to summarize it ----

Roger Federer will surely be ranked #4 post Italian Open & get a #4 seeding at Roland Garros, 2014 under the following conditions ----

(i) If if Federer doesn't win a match at Rome & David Ferrer loses before the semi-finals or Berdych doesn't win the Rome title.

(ii) If Federer reaches the QF of Rome (& loses in the QF) & Ferrer loses before the final of Rome.

(iii) if Federer reaches the SF of Rome & Ferrer doesn't win the Rome title.

Thus, if Federer reaches the finals of Rome, then he surely will be ranked #4 post Italian Open, 2014 & get a #4 seeding at French Open, 2014, even if Berdych or Ferrer win the Italian Open, 2014 title.

For any query about any other's players ranking, feel free to drop in a comment or add me on any of the social networking sites mentioned in my signature. I will try to reply as soon as possible.

For the detailed draw of Italian Open, 2014 click here.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#5 Tennis Lover

Tennis Lover

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:58 AM

Thanks, Vibhu! Let's hope Roger wins in Rome. That will make him no. 3 and more importantly, that will give Roger confidence to do well in RG!

#6 sausan

sausan

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 2,782 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:54 PM

Thanks a lot Vibhu..... Hope Federer win in Rome

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#7 Guest_lorna reece_*

Guest_lorna reece_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:39 AM

Thx! Thats the best break down of the point system that i have ever read! Keep up the good work.

#8 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:00 AM

Update: now that Tomas Berdych has lost in the 3rd Round, only 1 scenario is left.

If David Ferrer wins his tomorrow's QF match vs Djokovic/kohlschreiber, he will move up to #4 in the ranking & get #4 seeding at Roland Garros, 2014.

& If Ferrer loses tomorrow's QF match, Roger Federer will be the #4 seed at Roland Garros, 2014.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#9 Rita

Rita

Roger Federer Fans 2nd Grand Slam Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Current mood: Fine

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:05 AM

Hoping for a Djokovic win then.  Ferrer taking Roger's place just wouldn't seem right.

#10 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:19 PM

Now that Djokovic has defeated Ferrer in the QF of Italian Open, 2014

This now means that Roger Federer will be #4 seed for Roland Garros....

Seedings for French Open, 2014 --------

Rafa Nadal #1,

Djokovic - #2,

Wawrinka - #3,

Federer - #4,

Ferrer - #5,

Berdych- #6,

Murray - #7,

Either Raonic or Dimitrov will be the #8 seed.... (If Raonic wins his SF match vs Djokovic, he will the confirmed #8 seed, if Raonic loses his SF match & Dimitrov goes on to win the Italian Open title, then Grigor Dimitrov will be the #8 seed at Roland Garros).

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#11 Rita

Rita

Roger Federer Fans 2nd Grand Slam Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Current mood: Fine

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:09 PM

Thanks Vibhu, that's great news.  Let's just hope Roger can get his act together and get focused for RG.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+