• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Match Report, pics, video highlights of Novak Djokovic vs Roger Federer, Wimbledon 2014

roger federer novak djokovic wimbledon 2014 wimbledon jelena gencic

28 replies to this topic

#21 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

Here is some of what Roger said after the match, quotes taken from an article by Sam Sheringham, BBC Sport

"I'm very happy to see that I can produce a performance like I did the last two weeks. That clearly makes me believe that this was just a stepping stone to many more great things in the future."

"It was a great match and I enjoyed being a part of it."

"Winning or losing, it's always something special in the Wimbledon final and something you'll remember, even more so when the match was as dramatic as it was today. I'm very pleased with the way things went throughout the match. It was a high-quality match and it was good stuff from both players. Clearly we both walk away happy from here. I mean, him more happy than I am. But still, I'm happy overall."

_76086117_023053435-1.jpg

Roger met the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge after the match but said he was too upset to hold down a conversation.

"I wasn't in a great state," he said. "I was unbelievably sad at that moment just when I left the court, so it was a difficult moment for the three of us. But they were very sweet to comfort me and wish me well."

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#22 r.kingstone@gmail.com

r.kingstone@gmail.com

Roger Federer Fans Newbie

• Members +
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:07 AM

This has been the best result for Roger after the disappointing 2013 and there are lots and lots of positives from here. The only negative is that 5th set, he just lost focus or temparament or whatsoever. Apart from that, this will make him believe he can do it even more times in USO or AO and the 4th set comeback will give him the much needed boost if he has to face RN or ND again in major tournaments. 

We can see more serve and volley and more approaches to net in the future and the thing is how calculated it is going to be in hard courts..

Good luck Roger! Have a great time with your family and see you in Rogers.. Good luck for the US swing!!!

#23 Rita

Rita

Roger Federer Fans 2nd Grand Slam Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Current mood: Fine

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:34 PM

Took me a long time to digest what happened on Sunday.  After such an extraordinary comeback in the fourth set it all seemed to end rather suddenly in the fifth. But it was always going to be tough to serve second in the last set, and overall, I have to admit I thought Novak had the edge so deserved the win, in spite of what I consider to be the gamesmanship of the injury breaks which came just at the moment he needed to slow the momentum, and the effects of injury disappeared pretty quickly soon afterwards.  Maybe that's unfair but it's the way I saw it and I know I'm not the only one.

Interesting to note that although both players gained huge numbers of twitter followers after the match, Roger gained more.  To me that says it all really. 

A great display of real tennis from our man, and I'm very proud to be his fan.  Allez Roger.

And thanks to all on here for the wonderful pics, videos and interviews :-) 

#24 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:04 PM

After the Gulbis performance at the French Open I have been more conscious of injury time outs and do believe that some are pure gamesmanship designed to disrupt the rhythm of the game, or gain a breathing space, rather than being a genuine need. It is difficult to judge when watching on TV, but poor old Stan was so obviously feeling sick in his match, even the comms said how ill he looked and commented how he appeared to be retching into his towel at one sit down, which fortunately was not broadcast :( In this match Novak had a nasty fall but in all honesty I did feel he over egged it and appeared perfectly OK afterwards.

It is a shame that these thoughts creep in. I hope that tennis does not sink to the level of Football with regards to Oscar winning injury performances, then hey presto the player is up and running about as if nothing was wrong! :rolleyes:

Having said that Novak did have the edge in the match and I do not begrudge him his win, but do wonder how it would have turned out if the injury distraction had not interrupted things.

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#25 chris90

chris90

Roger Federer Fans 100 Title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:55 AM

Rita, Wendy, I agree with you. Here the comms said that roger needed not to pay attention to novak situation in order to win the match. I think that in that situation the tennis player must keep focus on his/herself to keep the momentum going. I asked myself "what if roger had broken to lead 4-3?" Then i remembered that after that game, he saved three break points. In tennis anything can happen. Then the last game, in my opinion roger made 3UE with his backhand. In that moment i was like "omg. why? why?" Since then, i've been destroyed but still believing in roger :D

And, thank you for all the posts, pics, videos, etc.

#26 Guest_peter_*

Guest_peter_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:51 AM

Yes even I believe taking medical time out in crucial times will help to shift the momentum or at least neutralize it. Even though djoker played well throughout the match it is tough not to believe that the timeout helped him to concentrate more and to close the match. In this case one should appreciate RF as even at 32 he very rarely( or never) takes timeouts

#27 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:11 PM

The other day I read a blog post made by somebody who was at the match and she said that at a change over Roger had quietly asked Novak if he was OK, something we missed on the TV coverage.

As the players waited to walk on to court. Roger was standing beside the winners board and he did quickly glance over. It must have been impossible to block out the momentous opportunity that was before him. The chance to have his name on that board again.

With the overwhelming noise from the crowd as the final points were played, it must have been a heartthumpingly difficult thing to stay calm and focussed. He obviously wanted this so much. Personally I feel that this affected him at the close of the fifth set, he tightened up, hence the unforced errors which lost the match :(

However, that fight back in the fourth set was totally amazing. It was what made this match into one of THE classic Wimbledon Finals!

#28 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: Busy

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:40 AM

full match recording in HD ----

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#29 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 3,256 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:20 AM

pics of Mirka Federer and Federer's Twins

10502007_752264031486610_731022392491918

10429860_752263968153283_875079536203215

10487182_752263908153289_535435605342837

10417599_752263901486623_345906695624191

10540415_752263711486642_354537791568091

10423820_752263691486644_583199071902557

10487446_752263484819998_119394852307999

10540536_752263421486671_542196902846575

10484155_752263654819981_428716083801768

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+