• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Match Report, pics, video highlights of Roger Federer vs Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Rogers Cup, Toronto

roger federer jo tsonga rogers cup 2014 toronto 2014 tsonga

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: Busy

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:08 AM

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga became the 2nd man after Rafael Nadal (Hamburg, 2008) to have defeated Djokovic, Murray and Federer at a tournament as he defeated Roger Federer 7-5, 7-6 in the Rogers Cup final in an hour and 47 minutes to capture his 2nd ATP 1000 Masters and his 11th career singles title.

ButMNPRIUAA22V9.png

1st Set

Federer was playing the first day match of the tournament. His game didn't look as sharp as it did during the tournament. Inspite of that, he managed to hold his first 5 service games without facing a break point.

The French man who has had a mediocre 2014 got his 1st break point in the 12th game and immediately capitalized on it to win the 1st set 7-5 in 43 minutes.

Here are the 1st set stats ---

Bus9AHkCMAInBlu.png

2nd Set

The Swiss was unable to put any pressure on Tsonga's service even in the 2nd set. While, the French man had break points in the 6th game (one), 8th game (four) & 10th game (one : match point for Tsonga). Federer managed to save those and the 2nd set went to the Tie-breaker.

The first six points of the TB were split between the two, but Tsonga got the first mini break and then won the next three points to win the tie-breaker 7-3.

Here are the match stats ---------

ButLxj6CMAAEd7u.png

Clearly, the change in conditions, court speed during the day vis-a-vis the earlier night matches that Federer played impacted his play.

Roger+Federer+Rogers+Cup+A7OM83iyJufl.jpg

With this win, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga :::

• Back to Top 10 in the Rankings after 5 months and Juan Martin Del Potro is out of Top 10 after 26 months.
  • Became the 2nd man after Rafa Nadal to have beaten Murray, Djokovic, Federer in a tournament in a week's time.
  • The 1st man after Guillermo CaƱas (Canada 2002) to have beaten four Top-10 players (Djokovic, Murray, Dimitrov, Federer) in a week's time to win a tournament.
  • Back to #11 in the Race to London ranking & back as a contender for qualifying for WTF.
  • First French man ever to have won a title in the 133 year history of Rogers Cup.
  • Now the 7th man in last 5 & half yrs (last 51 #ATP1000 masters) to win an ATP 1000 Masters title other than the #Big4.. Other 6 being: Stan Wawrinka, David Ferrer, Robin Soderling, Andy Roddick, Ivan Ljubicic, Nikolay Davydenko.
  • Only the 3rd man in the last 42 months or the last 32 ATP 1000 Masters tourney (others being: Ferrer and Wawrinka) to win ATP 1000 masters title other than the Big 4.

Scroll down for more pics, video highlights, interview quotes, more insights from the match.

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#2 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: Busy

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:17 AM

highlights ---

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#3 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,224 posts
  • LocationIncredible India & Tennis world Traveller.

Current mood: Sporty

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

Highlights - - -

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#4 sausan

sausan

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 3,256 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:30 AM

Here's pics from the match 

Roger+Federer+Rogers+Cup+6apTGpY18icl.jp

Roger+Federer+Rogers+Cup+ciSdMSJy1ypl.jp

Roger+Federer+Rogers+Cup+PCCEv0p7wQol.jp

Roger+Federer+Rogers+Cup+_CcAGTTwk0ml.jp

Roger+Federer+Rogers+Cup+6q2uJq4GbErl.jp

Roger+Federer+Rogers+Cup+2Q0nDOMg0a_l.jp

Roger+Federer+Rogers+Cup+DMj1S8dKcdyl.jp

Roger+Federer+Rogers+Cup+TThwKfBI51dl.jp

Roger+Federer+Rogers+Cup+V9rN78xIwUNl.jp

Roger+Federer+Rogers+Cup+8-4d-PHqW4Ml.jp

Roger+Federer+Rogers+Cup+A7OM83iyJufl.jp

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#5 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 3,256 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:34 AM

Jo+Wilfried+Tsonga+Rogers+Cup+6K47gn2dbt

Jo+Wilfried+Tsonga+Rogers+Cup+EagF1rIMky

Jo+Wilfried+Tsonga+Rogers+Cup+1XFX3DMl5U

Jo+Wilfried+Tsonga+Rogers+Cup+XVSFQrt103

Jo+Wilfried+Tsonga+Rogers+Cup+1dlutX6IhS

Jo+Wilfried+Tsonga+Rogers+Cup+wGFEB7tXgQ

Jo+Wilfried+Tsonga+Rogers+Cup+XGcKqFGWLo

Jo+Wilfried+Tsonga+Rogers+Cup+1btFC6yGNE

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Follow us also on...

#6 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:16 PM

Oh dear Roger, so very sad to see this loss after such a steady build up through the tournament.

BuuDVSXCcAAcxgK.jpg
Photo: Ronald Martinez, Getty Images

But as Vibhu has already mentioned all of his previous matches were played in the evening, in fact the last two in the cool of the late evening, such a quick change over to the heat and bright sun of an early afternoon slot would certainly not help Roger in his efforts to win this title. Add to that the comms mentioned that he did not get to bed till 3am after his previous evening match, what with press commitments, physio, stretching etc so he had very little time to recover physically, let alone have time to practice and adjust before the Final the following afternoon.

201408101709617850550-p5.jpg
Photo: Chris Young, Canadian Press

I must admit that I felt he looked tired and was having a job to get himself fired up, which was crucial as Jo settled into the match after his unsteady start.

The thing that cheered me through this sadness though was to see the sheer delight on Jo-Wilfred Tsonga's face. He is a lovely fellow and that fact that it was him on the other side of the net made Roger's loss slightly easier to bear.

ButTL5CIUAAr7EJ.jpg

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#7 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 3,256 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:12 PM

But really what happening here, In this year Federer reached the final, almost in every tournament had he participated and then he loses it, why, why??? it's painful 

Follow us also on...

#8 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:31 PM

This Hot Shot video highlights not only superb shot placement by Jo, but court coverage by Roger who so very nearly made that final shot, just half a step away ....

Video: ATP World Tour

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#9 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:44 PM

But really what happening here, In this year Federer reached the final, almost in every tournament had he participated and then he loses it, why, why??? it's painful 

It's painful and sad for us as fans, but must be worse for Roger himself as he has worked so hard building up to the climax of a Tournament only to fall short at the end. I hate to mention age, but that could be playing a part. It does take longer for the body to recover the older you get. He puts his heart and soul into the earlier rounds and when the matches follow on day after day, as in Toronto, this is bound to have a cumulative effect despite only being 3 sets. In a Grand Slam with the potential for 5 set contests, even with a day of rest it will not be easy. Full credit to Roger for reaching the final and making it a contest.

Don't forget Rod Laver mentioned that this can happen as you get older, adrenaline levels fail to come up etc So frustrating for the player concerned when the will is there but your body falls short at the critical moment and in a game like tennis the slightest dip can mean the difference between winning and losing.

#10 ARIJEET SEN

ARIJEET SEN

Roger Federer Fans 250 Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationNew Delhi India

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:54 AM

Roger has to sort his backhand out with the new raquet if he wants to do well . Forehand seems to be ok but still there is work to be done. But the real problem is his backhand. It is baffling to see that he had played wimbledon so well with supposedly the same raquet. He started toronto so well . Not only the scoreline against polansky but he was timing the ball especially on the forehand with such precesion. Its hard to fathom how the timing got all wrong in the following matches. Relying too much on the serve and volley will not help him win tournaments. The groundstrokes have to improve especially the backhand. In the final he played poorly, perhaps his worst match of the year if you look how badly he was timing the ball.It is difficult to hit the backhand crosscourt with a larger raquet head for a person who has always played with 90 square inch head. Yes the larger raquet head helps him in some shots but I always felt he should not have changed his raquet. None the less he knows the best.

As like as all Roger fans I am dissapointed to see him lose these finals, but that dosent mean I wont get up at 2:30 in the night to see roger play . Surely i will. Always a Roger fan , proud to be a Roger fan .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+