#1 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: Busy

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:42 PM

Roger Federer has pulled out of World Tour Finals final match against Novak Djokovic. Federer personally made this announcement at O2 arena, 20 minutes before the start of his final match against Novak Djokovic.

getty.jpg

Federer made this announcement 20 minutes before the start of the final match.

Here is what Federer said in his address to the crowd at 02 arena,

"Unfortunately, I'm not match fit to play the match tonight," said Federer on court. "Clearly I wish it wasn't so. I tried all year to be ready for the ATP World Tour Finals, and I didn't want it to end this way. I tried everything I could last night, also today – painkillers, treatment, rest, so forth, warm-up, until the very end – but I just can't compete at this level with Novak. It would be too risky at my age to do this right now and I hope you understand.

"I wanted to come out personally and excuse myself. It's been a great week for me. I played some great tennis and I love coming to The O2 and to London, and there's been so many great memories for me here. Congrats of course to Novak, who’s played an amazing season, and an amazing tournament here as well. I hope we can play some more great matches, hopefully next year.

"Thanks to all you guys for making it special to come out and play tennis all around the world. I know you guys travel, as well, and spend a lot of money on tickets and so forth. We really, really appreciate it – me in particular. It keeps me going, it makes me tick, especially at this age. Hopefully, I can come back next year and get another chance to compete for the title here. So thank you very much and I'll see you soon. I appreciate it."

B2lPUv2IUAAHZ7g.jpg

B2lPUv8IYAAfcc2.jpg

B2lSWdmIQAAMZBp.jpg

B2lSKcXIUAAd7m9.jpg

Federer did sign a few autographs on his way back from the O2 after making the withdrawal announcement

B2lSKdYIcAEimkT.jpg

Screenshot credit: Glory

It is only the third time in Federer’s career that he has been forced to withdraw, each time due to a back injury – also walkovers at 2008-Paris QFs vs. Blake and 2012 Doha SFs vs. Tsonga.

Minutes later, an announcement was posted on his facebook page and here is the screenshot of that ----

B2lJeQLCYAEAdEG.jpg

Here is the text of what RF mentioned on his facebook wall----

I am sorry to announce that I cannot play the finals tonight vs. Novak. I hurt my back late in the match yesterday against Stan. I am very disappointed and I hope to be feeling better soon.

It’s been an extremely difficult decision because I love playing in London and the ATP World Tour Finals have been an absolute highlight of my career. Unfortunately, my back problem does not allow me to play right now. I hope all tennis fans and those involved in the event will understand.

It remains to be seen if Federer will play in the Davis Cup final starting from Friday. From all of us, here's wishing a quick recovery to the Swiss maestro.

This is what Federer later had to say about his plans to play at the Davis Cup 2014 finals ----

B2leaWxIcAAVd72.jpg

Scroll down for the video and more updates.

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#2 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:07 AM

For the video of Federer's announcement, click here.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#3 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:12 AM

Novak Djokovic with his 3rd successive World Tour Finals trophy =----

B2lPdUUCMAEo21X.jpg

Djokovic during his trophy presentation ceremony, "I'm so sorry for Roger.I wish him all the best for the Davis Cup. Roger and Rafa are great competitors. If he could have come and played he would."

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#4 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:46 AM

Here's a clip from yesterday's 3rd set Tie-Breaker (clearly shows Federer was in discomfort during the 3rd set TB) ----

slightly better view here -----

http://giant.gfycat.com/IllIncompleteErin.webm

Video credit: @TennisMajesty

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#5 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:56 AM

This is what Federer later had to say about his plans to play at the Davis Cup 2014 finals ----

B2leaWxIcAAVd72.jpg

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#6 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:33 AM

10406749_816904211689258_448899707115590

10620682_816904121689267_402030192280057

10407023_816880795024933_692662318228229

1492175_878255232186270_2514487992879072

B2lijvwIYAE2BCH.jpg

13999_819064038137349_749792198897921820

559601_816904785022534_53678220760249607

10347697_816904358355910_430483041524394

1459054_816904105022602_6831550003217669

10689451_878253325519794_487710705779045

We will miss you Roger Federer, but sincerely wish you a speedy and full recovery :)

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#7 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:37 AM

Video: ATP World Tour

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#8 Guest_anna sarrazin_*

Guest_anna sarrazin_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:36 AM

What's up with the ATP and their audacity to schedule the Top 8 Players in the world in such a manner that requires them to have to play back-to-back semis and finals at such a high intensity level of play which is required in such a top tier tournament life the WTF.  It's completely possible that Roger would have had time to recover and play that final had he had a day in between to recover.  Is the desire for $$$ (e.g. TV scheduling and advertising prime spots) more important than the health and welfare of the players in specific and the game of tennis in general?  No question that there will be more SAD endings to tournaments in the future unless someone has the guts to make these type of necessary changes in the scheduling of matches.  What complete idiocy - ATP Powers that Be - please get your act together.

#9 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:59 AM

I totally agree with you Anna

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:19 AM

Why not apply the lucky-looser- replacement and let Wawrinka play the final ????? seems only fair to the spectators and Wawrinka and Djokovic

a Fedfan

#11 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:05 AM

But would that be fair to Kei Nishikori?

These are very unusual circumstances and my heart goes out to Roger. The severity of his problem probably only became apparent after the match. As we saw Stan was suffering with cramp at the end. That was a gruelling match. To be expected to play a final against another top class player in less than 24 hours would be tough at the best of times.

As difficult as this is, Roger's health must come first.

#12 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:45 PM

That must have been a desperately sad and frustrating time for him and the last thing he wanted to do. I do have a slight pang of anxiety that this could mean the end of his time on the Tour is drawing that bit closer. He is one of the oldest out there now, add to that he the oldest top player. The pressures of the sport on him to physically keep up with and beat younger men is growing year on year. I sincerely hope that he can recover. Tennis will be the poorer without him IMHO :(

10620144_911929468851663_646746309179315

10626181_911929518851658_148124030374958

#13 Guest_DKfan_*

Guest_DKfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:29 PM

He had much too many late evening matches this autumn. And maybe partaking in Bercy also had impact. Wish him abundance of love and care now, - so grateful for the sublime come-back this year. THANKS!

#14 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 3,256 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:25 PM

When I heard the news, I shocked......

Then I watched the video when he announced his withdraw.... oh God here I couldn't stop my tears, but that moment reminded me that one day Federer will retire!!!!

Now I hope that Federer is OK, and hope that the Swiss team win Dvais Cup and 2015 to be better for Federer  ;) 

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#15 Guest_hedgehog_*

Guest_hedgehog_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2014 - 08:53 PM

Any info on Fed-Stan argument after semis?? 

#16 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:10 PM

I have read various rumours on Twitter and take them all with a very large pinch of salt. There are some people out there who love to cause trouble when the truth is far more mundane.   :rolleyes: 

As to Mirka's support for her husband distracting Stan, come on guys, the court side microphones would have picked it up if it was excessive and you bet the camera would have zoomed in and the comms would have made a field day of it.  Yes, there were a fair few people shouting out in the crowd and I must admit if I was Mirka I would have done a lot more loud shouting to be sure, it was sooooo tense out there  ;) 

#17 Guest_adam_*

Guest_adam_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:00 AM

why the final was scheduled sunday? if i'm not wrong the last year the final was played monday ,1 extra rest day

#18 Guest_adam_*

Guest_adam_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:03 AM

Why the final was not played monday? Last year he final was played monday ,so 1 extra rest day

#19 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:38 PM

Why the final was not played monday? Last year he final was played monday ,so 1 extra rest day

In 2012 & 2013, World Tour Finals started on Monday. As, there was no week's rest after Bercy. Read that full post right here.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#20 Guest_james_*

Guest_james_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2014 - 12:37 PM

Wise decision federa I would love to see you play again.come next year

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+