• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Match Report, pics & video Highlights of Roger Federer vs Andreas Seppi, Australian Open 2015

roger federer andreas seppi aus open 2015

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Current mood: Snobbish

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:39 PM

Andreas Seppi ended Roger Federer's 11 consecutive semi-final streaks at Australian Open as he edged past 17 times major champion 6-4, 7-6 (5), 4-6, 7-6 (5) in the 3rd Round in 2 hours & 57 minutes.

Roger+Federer+2015+Australian+Open+Day+5

This was Federer's earliest lost at Australian Open in over 14 years & his 2nd earliest loss at a major in over 12 years after his loss at Wimbledon 2013 in the 2nd Round vs Sergiy Stakhovsky.

1st Set

The first eight games went on service. Federer had a very poor service game in the 9th game and lost his service at Love as Seppi got to a 5-4 lead. Federer had three break points in the very next game but Seppi managed to save those and he won the first set 6-4. This was just the 2nd set that Seppi managed to win against Roger Federer in their 11th meeting.

Here are the 1st set stats ----

Aces – Seppi 0 Federer 5
Double Faults – Seppi 2 Federer 2
1st serve % – Seppi 52% Federer 58%
1st serve points won – Seppi 15/17 Federer 13/15
2nd serve points won – Seppi 8/16 Federer 4/11
Break Points won – Seppi 1/2 Federer 0/3
Winners – Seppi 10 Federer 11
Unforced Errors – Seppi 7 Federer 17
Total Points – Seppi 32 Federer 27

2nd Set

Seppi broke Federer's service in the 3rd game to get to a 2-1 lead. How ever, Federer managed to break Seppi right back on his 6th break point and it was 2-all.

The Italian once again broke Swiss maestro's service in the 9th game, but once again Federer broke the Italian right back and it was 5-all. The next two games went on serve and it was tie-breaker time.

Federer got off to a great start in the tie-breaker and lead by 4-1 & 4-2 at the first change-over.  But, Seppi won 6 points out of the last 7 points to win the tie-breaker 7-5.

Here are the 2nd SET STATS

ACES – Seppi 1 Federer 3
DOUBLE FAUTLS – Seppi 0 Federer 3
1st SERVE % – Seppi 62% Federer 62%
1st SERVE POINTS WON – Seppi 20/29 Federer 20/28
2nd SERVE POINTS WON – Seppi 9/18 Federer 7/17
BREAK POINTS WON – Seppi 2/3 Federer 2/4
WINNERS – Seppi 19 Federer 19
UNFORCED ERRORS – Seppi 12 Federer 15
TOTAL POINTS – Seppi 47 Federer 45

3rd Set

Before the start of this match, Federer had been two sets down 38 times in his career (including Davis Cup 2014 fianle, majors & non-majors) & he'd managed to win 9 of those matches.

Federer broke Seppi's serve in the 3rd game and that one break was enough as Federer won the 3rd set 6-4.

3rd SET STATS –

Aces – Seppi 0 Federer 2
Double Faults – Seppi 1 Federer 1
1st Serve % – Seppi 50% Federer 58%
1st Serve Points Won – Seppi 11/14 Federer 12/14
2nd Serve Points won – Seppi 7/14 Federer 8/10
Break Points won – Seppi 0/0 Federer 1/2
Winners – Seppi 8 Federer 8
Unforced Errors – Seppi 10 Federer 8
Total Points – Seppi 22 Federer 30

4th Set

Federer had break point in the 2nd game. Seppi managed to save those & there were no breaks of service in the 4th set as the 4th set once again went to the Tie-breaker.

By the time tie-breaker started, half of the court was in shade & the other half was in sun-shine making it awkward for both players.

Federer once again got to a 3-1 lead. But, a double fault by Federer ensured that it was 3-all at the first change-over. A forehand winner by Seppi gave him first match point at 6-5. Federer decided to leave a Seppi looping backhand & it fell in & it was all over for the 4 time Australian Open champion.

Here are the match stats -----

statssssssssssss.jpg

Interestingly, Federer won a point more than Seppi, but, as they say in Tennis, its not about winning more points, its about winning the points when it matters the most. Though, Federer had more aces & winners, but his double faults & unforced errors came at the wrong time. Overall, Seppi played the match of his life and was the deserving winner.

Federer's next tournament will be Dubai Duty Free Championship in February.

This was the 17th time in his career when Federer lost two tie-breakers in one match (1st at Australian Open & 5th time at a major).

Also, Federer's today's loss means that Novak Djokovic's will continue to be the #1 ranked player for *at least* 9 more weeks (till the end of Miami).

Scroll down for more pictures, in-depth analysis, match highlights, post match presser from the match.

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#2 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:10 PM

Transcript of Roger Federer's post match press conference, courtesy of Australian Open

B8BT4k4IIAA-Icq.jpg

Q. You didn't look quite comfortable out there today, especially the first two sets. Was something special going on or just a bad day?

ROGER FEDERER: Just a bad day, yeah. I mean, I wish I could have played better, but clearly it was tough losing the first two, you know. Had chances to get back into it. I let it slip, I mean, both times in some ways. I guess I won the wrong points out there today. I knew how important that second set tiebreaker was, so clearly that hurt, losing that one. The end wasn't pretty, you know. It wasn't easy to play with the shadow. But it was the same for both of us. Just a disappointing loss, you know.

Q. Did you have a chance to make a volley on the very final point?

ROGER FEDERER: I mean, I guess maybe if he hits it normally, maybe yes. But the way he hits it you think, This can't possibly land in. You kind of go and you're there and you're like, No, I'm going to let it go. As you're telling yourself that, you look behind you and you already know it's done, so... Because he was also running into the sun, so I have to cover cross-court just in case. That's where everybody goes. I don't know. Ask him how he felt hitting it. It's clearly a big blow because I actually hit my forehand pretty good.

B8BSho2CUAA7BRo.jpg

Q. You never lost a set with him. Was it surprising the way he played? Do you think Seppi played his best ever?

ROGER FEDERER: Against me, you mean?

Q. Yes.

ROGER FEDERER: Possibly so. We had some good matches in the past. He hits a good ball, forehand and backhand, so I knew that on a quicker court where he gets more help on the serve it was potentially going to be more tricky. And I felt for some reason yesterday and this morning it was not going to be very simple today. Even in practice I still felt the same way. I was just hoping it was one of those feelings you sometimes have and it's totally not true and you just come out and you play a routine match. Yeah, it was a mistake. And I know the strength of Seppi, especially after he beat Chardy, who I know can play very well. I was aware of the test and was well-prepared. Just somehow couldn't play my best tennis today. It was definitely partially because of Andreas playing very well.

Q. What was your feeling in practice this morning?

ROGER FEDERER: I don't know, maybe rhythm was missing. But I feel like that very often and then, you know, I come out and play a good match. Sometimes you feel too good and then you play a horrible match. I mean, the practice to me doesn't mean a thing anyways. But I was aware that this could be a tough match, so I wasn't mistaken this time around.

Q. What do you think let you down the most? Was it your serving or missing those breakpoints?

ROGER FEDERER: I guess it was just an overall feeling I had today out on the court that I couldn't, you know, really get the whole game flowing. You know, was it backhand? Was it forehand? Was it serve? It was a bit of everything. At the same time, I think I got broken in the last couple of sets. The second set also I only got broken once. I was hanging in there. Gee, what did I have, 4-1 in the breaker, 3-1 in the breaker? I don't remember what it was. I hit a pretty good serve that I shouldn't -- downwind I should never lose that point. So it wasn't all bad. It's just when it counted the most somehow it just ended up going his way. I think that was because overall I wasn't feeling it quite as well. I had to play it a little bit passively at times when normally I would play aggressive. You know, it was just a tough match for me.

Q. When you come to reflect, do you think you made it back on top after a very grueling, very emotional Davis Cup very late in the year? Maybe this event came in a bit of a rush.

ROGER FEDERER: Not really. I was actually very happy that it was the way it went, because it allowed me to stay within the rhythm and take the break after the Australian Open. I was playing very well in practice. I was playing very well in Brisbane. I was playing great in the practice leading into the tournament. So I don't want to say that I peaked too early, but I definitely was hitting the ball very well. I still believe I'd still be in the tournament, that I'd still have a chance to go very deep. Like I said at the very beginning of the tournament, I truly believe that. But then again, margins are small, and sometimes these things tend to happen. Clearly I'll have a look at it, but I don't think I did anything wrong honestly. I wanted to go to India. I wanted to go back to Switzerland for Christmas. I practiced as hard as I possibly could. Can't do more than that. Sure, the year ended late, but one week later than normal. At the end of the day, honestly I'm confident that what I did was the right thing.

Q. The first set you played versus Bolelli, there was this little sign of alarm. You were pushed by the forehand of Bolelli a lot, and maybe today the whole match instead of just one set or not?

ROGER FEDERER: Maybe. I don't know. I think I gave a lot of explanation. I wish I could have won the first set; then things would have been different. But I definitely wanted to go into the match, play aggressive, play the right way, play on my terms, but it was just hard to do. For some reason I struggled. Like I explained, it had things to do with Andreas' game and with my game as well. You put those things together, all of a sudden you're playing a match you don't want to play. The rallies are going in a way you don't like it. Then when I maybe needed my serve the most, it wasn't quite there, because my baseline game wasn't there either. It went in phases. But at least I was able to iron out things a bit and able to play much more solid at the back end of the match. But it just broke me to lose that second set. And actually the fourth, I should win it, too. Just a brutal couple of sets to lose there.

Q. Were you surprised you were playing in the morning session? Maybe the conditions might be different.

ROGER FEDERER: Who knows. I mean, it's totally no excuse. How many times have I played night session, day session, night session, day session or day session, night session? Who cares. I think he did well. I struggled today and he took advantage of it really. I wish I believed maybe if we played at night I would have been more comfortable, but at this point who cares, right? I mean, like I'm on the plane and he's not, so...

B8BR9HVIgAAlZgG.jpg
Photos: Vince CaligIuri, Getty Images

Q. What are you going to do next?

ROGER FEDERER: Rest, then get ready for practice really.

Q. Do you have any tournaments planned for February?

ROGER FEDERER: Dubai is my next one.

Q. Do you feel like you're having these off days, do you feel they're coming more often in the last couple of years?

ROGER FEDERER: Oh, no. This is a feeling I've had for 15 years. To me I don't read anything into that. It's just not the best feeling to have. It's not like I'm playing shocking or I'm feeling shocking. It's like one of those things you look back and maybe, Yeah, I didn't feel so good. But if you win, you never even question it. If I were you, I wouldn't read very much into that.

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#3 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:49 PM

Andreas Seppi played the game of his life, Roger Federer didn't play that badly, though he was clearly not on sparkling form today. However, there were still glimpses of Federer magic as this video shows ....

Video: Australian Open

Unfortunately time is catching up with me and I didn't feel able to wake up and watch the match in the early hours, so only caught the end. I certainly was not expecting that scoreline or result :(

I can't but wonder whether Roger was finding it hard to start over again after the terrific high he must have experienced after winning Brisbane and chalking up 1000 wins.

1544358_854348301278182_6569858582194268

This time the Australian Open was not to be sadly. I hope Roger can put what must have been a crushing loss behind him, and have a good holiday with his family and come back refreshed in Dubai.

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#4 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:54 PM

Match Point

#5 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 3,256 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:34 PM

some pics 

By Getty Images

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#6 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 3,256 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:41 PM

Getty Images

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Follow us also on...

#7 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 3,256 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:46 PM

Video highlights

Follow us also on...

#8 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:48 PM

Roger's press conference

#9 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 3,256 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:53 PM

Pics from Federer press conference 

By Getty Images

Follow us also on...

#10 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:12 PM

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#11 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

• Moderators-
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:29 PM

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#12 ashRAFAN

ashRAFAN

Roger Federer Fans 250 Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationAllahabad ( तीर्थराज प्रयाग ) , India

Current mood: Fine

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:42 PM

Are the ranking scenarios post AO 15 is posted anywhere ? I can't find it . :(

#13 moodyboogie

moodyboogie

Roger Federer Fans 500 Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:21 PM

I've watched the entire match, and as plain as it sounds, Roger was simply off. Very tentative, poor shot selecetion, plus that number of unforced errors. Seppi, at least to me, was not playing match of his life, in fact far from some of the great matches I've seen him play. He was simply solid enough, although at times he was handing Roger plenty of opportunities to come back, but it simply was not meant to be for Rog this time. It really does not make sense to me.

I have to admit that I still can't believe it. I'm stuck in denial, and I don't want to get out of this place, as I still wait for Roger to wake up :unsure: . Just one of these days that are hard to explain I guess...

#14 barbeatty

barbeatty

Roger Federer Fans Challenger Title

• Members +
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:07 AM

I know moodyboogie! I keep seeing that last point and willing him to put a racket on it. Hard luck but Seppi held his nerve, you have to give him a lot of credit for that.  I hope he can build on that form and play some good tennis. Still a whole season ahead for Fed.  I reckon Murray has a decent chance now if he plays like he has been, but then again you just never ever know. 

#15 paddyt

paddyt

Roger Federer Fans Newbie

• Members +
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:32 AM

Agree with moodyboogie was simply an off day tho unfortunately at a GS. It hasn't hit me nearly as bad as his 5 set Wimbledon loss to Djokovic...still getting over that...lol. It breaks my heart to read in the transcript how much it hurt him to lose those 2 tie-breakers after being up but I also keep reading where Roger is over his losses quickly and doesn't dwell so that's a consolation.
Thanks again team for the brilliant report of the match. I very much enjoy reading the transcript of the post match interview apart from watching the video and also thanks for including the match stats and everything else. Cheers

#16 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:48 PM

This loss does hurt, but for me not as much as his loss to Stakhovsky at Wimbledon, or in the final to Djokovic last year. That really had me in tears.

I wonder whether this time it was more in his mind. After his match against Bolelli he had said at one point in the match he was wondering how he would explain going out of the Aus Open so early, and this time we hear he had a feeling the match would not go well. Add to that the pressure of expectations he must have felt wth all the media interest in him. That could easily have laid the foundations for nerves, errors and poor shot selection as a result.

It was not a good day for Roger. We all have our off days for one reason or another, but are not expected to perform at our best on centre court infront of the world's media. I sometimes wonder how players can concentrate with so many cameras focussed on them and clicking away all the time :(

#17 ARIJEET SEN

ARIJEET SEN

Roger Federer Fans 250 Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationNew Delhi India

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:12 PM

Well it was a bad day for Roger and his fans. It ruined my extended Weekend (Monday being a holiday in India for Republic day ) . Talking about the match yesterday everything seemed so wrong. Personally for me , i always was very circumspect about this season after the highs of the last season. I clearly fail to understand that why after so much tennis last year Roger was playing so many matches in the off season. We have seen the consequences of playing so many exhibition matches at season end in the year 2013 when roger played those exhibition matches in South america at the end of 2012. Clearly he looked tired even against Raonic in that brisbane final. Yet on the very next day he played Hewitt. Add to that the effects of Iptl and Match for Africa.

Just speaking of the australian open right from start something just was not right. And it starts right from the outfit he wore at the open. In my opinion it is one of the worst job on the part of nike for a decade. Then the draw, which also did not do any favour to Roger.Then the scheduling was also weird. I just dont remember roger playing back to back day session. This has something to do with the organisers wanting to preserve nadal as the article below points out.

http://news.tennisto...-preserve-Nadal

Nonetheless there are always things to learn from failure.In my opinion the improvements areas that Roger needs to focus on is on the variety of serve and his movement specially on his forehand side. Federer needs to work more on the body serve. I think he has got that one in his arsenal but uses very rarely. Thats why if he can use it more regularly it would mean that the opponent must worry about another different angle rather than to just pick a side for returning.
And time and time again even against the match against bolleli Roger was stretched on the forehand side. This has always been Rogers weak point ( i mean his movement to the forehand side, not the actual forehand shot which was always special) . Now the opponents are using it to their advantage more often High time to improve on this aspect.

Speaking of the 18th Major , is it possible? Well all champions are stubborn and in this regard Roger is no different. As long he can run and has a raquet in his hand he beleives he can win each and every match . Read the article below , i believe it will make you feel better after this heavy loss.
http://www.oregonliv...derer_his.html?

And the fans of Roger federer are also stubborn. Thats why i beleive that the 18th major will come. When? Well French open 2015. Yes I know its tough, almost impossible with Nadal on the other end. But still I beleive like all Roger federer fans and as Roger does himself. Otherwise he would not be playing the clay season at all.
No matter wIn or lose we are with you Roger. Go Roger Go, get the 18th in this years french championships.
Always with you The Greatest Ever Forever.

#18 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:27 PM

Goodness, if the Australian Open were showing favouritism to Nadal, as that article suggests, that is a bit of a shocker. Would they have they bent the schedule to suit any other player in trouble with the heat I wonder?

I agree with you Arijeet about his full schedule of late. He has had no time to recover and came on the to Australian Open mentally and physically drained IMHO. Personally I hope he does not play Davis Cup this year and focuses more on key tournaments if he is to win another Grand Slam. I really hope he can, he still has the skills to do it, if only he can stay fit and have the right fresh, positive mental attitude.

I certainly hope Roger does bounce back from this defeat and hopefully learn from it. I rather get the impression he beat himself out there. Possibly through tiredness, a negative mental attitude giving rise to poor judgement and mistakes :(

Oh yes, and I so agree with you regards his outfit for the Australian Open. Mind you these neon bright colours seem to be in fashion these days. That yellow, far too bright, he stood out like a beacon on that court.

#19 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:33 PM

Are the ranking scenarios post AO 15 is posted anywhere ? I can't find it . :(

Am sure Vibhu will do something once he has time :)

#20 Poorna

Poorna

• Moderators-
  • 759 posts
  • LocationIncredible India <3

Current mood: Woot!

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:03 PM

im happy that he is still playing!
i want only that fr now :D

Posted ImageNo Matter What we will support him always!! My love.... Roger Federer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+