If you reached this article, wanting to read has Djokovic regained No. 1 ranking before the start of World Tour Finals, 2012, the answer is yes. Read this detailed post to know how the ATP rankings & points look like on 5th November, 2012 & how are the rankings likely to look like after World Tour Finals 2012 ON 12th November, 2012, in this detailed write-up here ----
First of all, a huge round of congrats to Roger Federer for winning his 20th Masters tournament just a few minutes back.
In a nerve jangling final, Roger Federer defeated Tomas Berdych 3-6, 7-5, 7-5 to win his 3rd Madrid Open.
For seeing the full match replay of Roger Federer & Tomas Berdych & the post match ceremony, see this link
Photo Source : Tumblr online search
Also, now he is the first man in the history to have won a same title on three different surfaces as he won in 2007 on Hard court when it was played in Hamburg, then in 2009 on Red clay in Madrid and now in 2012 on Blue Clay.
With this title, in the rankings that will be declared in about 5 hours time from now, Roger Federer will regain No. 2 from Rafael Nadal.
See this post written by me yesterday to know the exact points of the Top 4 that will be announced later tonight.
Now, the biggest question in every one's mind is,
a) Can Roger Federer retain his No. 2 world ranking after Italian Open, 2012?
Will Roger Federer be seeded no. 2 for the French Open, 2012?
Well, as the seedings of French Open, 2012 will be made after Italian Open, 2012, so, in this post, I will be discussing the various scenarios in which Roger Federer will remain world No. 2 after Italian Open, 2012 or can Rafael nadal some how get back the No. 2 Ranking back after Italian Open.
As I explained above, the following are the points of the Top 4, that ATP will announce in a few hours time.
1. Novak Djokovic : almost 11,200 points
2. Roger Federer : 9430 points
3. Rafael Nadal :: 9105 points.
4. Andy Murray : 7490 points
So, as you can see, Roger Federer will be ahead by 330 points from Rafael Nadal in the to be announced ATP rankings.
One more small clarification, the Winner of ATP 1000 title gets 1000 points, the losing finalist gets 600 points, the losing semi finalists get 360 points, the losing Quarter Finalists get 180 points, the 4th round losers 90 points, the 3rd round loser gets 45 points & the 2nd round loser gets 10 points.
Now, let us start discussing the various scenarios that will help Roger Federer to retain ATP World No. 2 ranking after Italian Open, 2012 & thus get the No. 2 seeding for French Open, 2012.
1) If by chance, Roger Federer loses out in the 3rd round & Rafael Nadal loses out in the semi final of Italian open, 2012, then also Roger Federer will be ahead by 5 points & thus will get the No. 2 seeding for French open, 2012.
Same scenario if RF loses in the 3rd, 4th or QF, as you very well can understand.
2) If Roger Federer loses out in the semi final of Italian Open, 2012 & Rafael Nadal loses in the finals of Italian Open, 2012, then also Roger Federer will be ahead by 85 points & thus will get the No. 2 seeding for French open, 2012.
Of Course, with these two scenarios, you can get a fair picture of other possible mini scenarios.
Now, these are the different scenarios that will help Rafael Nadal to regain ATP World No. 2 ranking after Italian Open, 2012 & thus get the No. 2 seeding for French Open, 2012 :
1) If by chance, Roger Federer loses out in the 2nd round & Rafael Nadal loses out in the semi final of Italian open, 2012, then Rafael Nadal will get ahead by 25 points & thus will regain the ATP World No. 2 ranking back & the No. 2 seeding for French open, 2012.
But, as I explained above this condition is only true for RF losing up to 2nd Round.
2) If Roger Federer loses out in the semi final of Italian Open, 2012 & Rafael Nadal wins the finals of Italian Open, 2012, then Rafael Nadal will get ahead by 75 points & thus will regain the ATP World No. 2 ranking back & the No. 2 seeding for French open, 2012..
So, the 100% sure shot condition in which Roger Federer will retain No. 2 Ranking or Rafael Nadal will regain No. 2 ATP ranking is by winning the Italian Open, 2012 & thus, will ensure that they get No. 2 seeding for French Open, 2012 as well.
If you liked reading this article, please follow us on