• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Report Card of Roger Federer's 2012 Clay Season till date and his chances at the French Open 2012

Roger Federer Federer Clay Season Roland Garros French Open 2012 Can Federer win French Open again

7 replies to this topic

#1 mbthecool19

mbthecool19

Reporter RF Fans

• Members +
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationIndia

Current mood: Cheeky

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:17 PM

The 2012 Clay Court Season is almost at it's penultimate stage with French Open the ultimate prize of clay season about to begin in a matter of days . This years French Open has all the potential to be a very keenly contested Grand Slam .

One of the major contenders to win this years French Open is World no . 3 Roger Federer . Federer has had a very good clay season , Though he played less clay events than any other player this year but he looked good in almost all the clay matches he has played this season .

Federer opted not to play Monte Carlo masters to give his body much needed break after a long and successful hard court season ( He won Dubai , Rotterdam and Indian Wells ) .

Federer began his clay court campaign in Madrid , on the much talked about Blue Clay courts . Playing the first time on the Blue Clay Federer took his time to adjust to the surface , he faced a tough challenge in the form of an young and promising Canadian Milos Raonic . Federer had no read on Raonic's serve in the first set and the Canadian took the set in a tie-break.

But Fed used all his experience and lifted his game at the right moment and managed to win in 3 tight sets .
Federer had the toughest draw in Madrid . Had to face very talented players like Gasquet , Ferrer , Tipsarevic .
But Federer looked in top form and breezed through the matches in straight sets .

Federer faced the hard hitting Czech Tomas Berdych . Berdych has had a very good clay court season and looked in ominous form . He started on a great note taking the attack to Federer , fired winner after winner past Federer and eventually took the first set 6-3 .

Federer needed to stop Berdych's on-slaught . Fed Served well in the second set , broke Berdych at the right moment and took the set 7-5 . Third set was a tight affair as well but Federer used all his experience and clinched the final set 7-5 to win his 3rd Madrid Masters and 74 th career title .

Posted Image

Source : Roger Federer Official FB page

Winning Madrid must have done wonders to Federer's confidence leading upto the French Open . He faced a tough draw , adjusted to the conditions very well and was great from the back of the court .

Federer served particularly well and hit his back hand down the line with so much confidence . It's a low percentage shot specially for Federer since he has a single handed back-handed , but when he hits those well you know he is feeling good about his game .

After Madrid the next stop for Federer was Rome . He was unsure whether to play Rome or not , but chose to play at the last moment . Federer looked good on the Red Clay as well . Rome clay is rather slow and doesn't suit Federer's style of play that much but Fed adopted fairly well with conditions and breezed through his early rounds .

He had the tough task of facing the defending champion and World No. 1 Novak Djokovic in the semi-finals .
It was clearly not Federer's best day . His first serve percentage was way down at 40 % and made loads of Unforced Errors . Djokovic played well and capitalized on the opportunities .He took the 1st set 6-2 .

The second set was a closer affair , but Djokovic got the crucial break of serve and served for the match at 5-4 .
But there was a twist in the tale as Federer broke back to square the match at 5-5 . But Djokovic won the tie-break and won the match 6-2 , 7-6 .

It's true , it was not Federer's best day in the office . But he played 9 matches in the duration of 11 days . Clearly he was fatigued and didn't have enough gas in the tank to play his best .
But there is no need to panic . Federer has lost only 4 matches post Us Open 2011 and bagged 4 titles in 2012 ( Dubai , Rotterdam , Indian Wells , Madrid ) which is a splendid effort . He is in good form , hitting the ball well and cleanly , most importantly Federer feels good and confident about his game right now .

I think Federer has a great chance of winning his 2nd French open this year .Believing in himself would be the key .

Rafael Nadal is always an overwhelming favorite to win the French Open . This year is no different . Nadal has had a great clay season bagging 3 titles ( Monte Carlo , Barcelona , Rome ) along the way . 2 of those 3 wins were by beating Djokovic in the finals , which shall give him immense confidence ahead of the French Open .

Djokovic is always a contender to win a slam on any surface now . So he would want to win the French Open for sure .

All in all the French Open should be a great event . The Top 3 all in good form , new rising stars eager to pull of upsets and knock out the big guns . At the end of the day Tennis fans are the winners :)

If you liked reading this article, please follow us on

Facebook ,

Twitter,

G Plus for more such articles.

#2 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,223 posts
  • LocationIncredible India & Tennis world Traveller.

Current mood: Sporty

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:09 AM

That indeed was a wonderful writeup. Loved reading it. Would have loved seeing RF staying no. 2 after Italian Open, but frankly, if he manages to win French Open by beating the No. 1 & No. 2 seeds, then that title would surely be important.

Yes, as u rightly said, Rafa is the firm favorite & would be interesting to see if he & Roger are scheduled at another semi final at French open draw...........

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#3 Kishore Sharma

Kishore Sharma

Admin & Editor-in-chief

• Administrators
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationJabalpur,India

Current mood: In Love

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

Wonderful post! Please Roger you need to take Roland Garros just for us..... your fans pleaaaaase :)

God I love Roger Federer, Thank you so much for giving us such a genius :).

Find me on ------

Twitter !!  Facebook !! Google Plus !! Subscribe to my posts via E-mail

#4 V.K. Batra

V.K. Batra

Editor In Chief

• Moderators
  • 481 posts
  • LocationDelhi:: Karnal:: Sydney:: Chandigarh

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:52 PM

Very well written. Loved reading it. Whats so good to see, that Roger (other than that Djokovic match) is approaching the net as much as possible. Serve & Volley ability is what will help him to prolong his career & hope, he does well at the french open, thou, the draw will be tough...

#5 Inez

Inez

Featured Columnist

• Moderators-
  • 395 posts
  • LocationBarcelona, Spain

Current mood: Cool

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

a very nice article. also, one more thing more noticeable besides serve & volley is that Roger is trying to keep points short which is a good thing to see...

the draw will be tough , no doubt & yes, Rafa will be the man to beat for sure.
I am available on -----

Twitter | G Plus | FB | Read my posts via E-mail Subscription

#6 sausan

sausan

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 2,806 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:33 PM

Wonderful article, I enjoyed reading it
Roland Garros will be significant competition
Good luck to all and especially to Federer
comon FED u can win n u will do it :)

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#7 Poorna

Poorna

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 753 posts
  • LocationIncredible India <3

Current mood: Woot!

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:44 AM

:) damn good.!! loved it..!!
Posted ImageNo Matter What we will support him always!! My love.... Roger Federer!

#8 Anna

Anna

Featured Columnist

• Moderators-
  • 469 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Current mood: Fine

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:31 AM

well written. Frankly, every one here knows that I'm a big Rog fan, but, if I speak from my heart, I really felt his chance to win would have been to be seeded No. 2... Now, it might just be tough to beat Nole & Rafa, but, hope, he has a great tourny & enjoys our cheering :).
Follow my posts on--

Twitter | Google Plus | Facebook | My posts via E-mail

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+