• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Roger Federer comes back from two sets down vs Del potro in French Open,QF to set up Djokovic clash

Federer Roger Federer Djokovic Novak Djokovic French Open Roland Garros Del Potro Tsonga

5 replies to this topic

#1 mbthecool19

mbthecool19

Reporter RF Fans

• Members +
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationIndia

Current mood: Cheeky

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:15 PM

Roger Federer staged an epic come back against Argentine Juan Martin Del Potro as he came back from
a 2 sets to 0 deficit to win in 5 sets . With that Federer reached his 31st Grand Slam Semi-Final
equaling Jimmy Connors's record .
Federer started off as the favorite in this match , having already beaten the Argentine 4 times this
year and Del Potro only managing to take one set from Federer in those four encounters .
But on Tuesday it seemed the Argentine had other plans in mind . Federer hasn't quite found his rhythm
yet at this years French Open and was off to a sluggish start and was getting overpowered by Delpo
from the back of the court . The Argentine served big as Federer wasn't able to make an impact on
the return games . Delpo broke Fed and eventually took the 1st set 6-3.
Federer seemed more determined in the 2nd set as he varied the pace nicely with the back-hand slices
and made Delpo generate his own pace .This strategy seemed to work well as he broke Delpo's serve.
But as they say a break means nothing unless you consolidate . Fed failed to hold his own serve as
he struggled with his timing and made uncharacteristic unforced errors to give the break back .
Both men then held their serves and a Tie- Break was forced . It was very neck and neck in the TB
as Federer served at 4-5 under immense pressure . During the rally someone from the stands shouted
"Out " though the ball was in, as a distracted Fed netted the next FH to give Delpo 2 Set points.
A frustrated Federer yelled "shut" up at the fan , a very rare display of such emotions from him .
e44009132dd525e5a9101a80d264c2cc-getty-511451814.jpg

Delpo cinched the second set 7-6 and went up 2 sets to 0 as Federer seemed in deep trouble .
Federer has staged come backs from a two sets to none deficit quite a few times in his career
( 2005 Miami vs. Nadal , 2009 Australian Open vs. Berdych , 2009 French Open vs. Tommy Haas ) .
Surely the task wasn't impossible but it was a mountain to climb to win 3 back to back sets to
clinch victory from the jaws of defeat . Fed seemed to hit the ball a lot better in the 3rd set
and pushed the Argentine from corner to corner . Delpo had some trouble with his knees this year
and this strategy from the Swiss seemed to pay dividence slowly but surely as he broke Delpo twice
and took the third set 6-2 . Delpo struggled physically in the fourth set as Federer was dominant
and didn't make any unforced errors in the set . He took the set 6-0 to level the match .
Federer looked the better and stronger player going into the fifth set but it was a sure fact that
the Argentine is gonna give his all for one final push .
Fed had to fend off 2 Break Points in his opening service game of the 5 th set but managed to hold .
Federer got the decisive break in the 5th set and eventually took the 5th set 6-3 to reach the SF.
It was an extraordinary effort from the maestro both physically and mentally to come back from
2 sets down . At the age of 30 , he showed he still has the fitness and the motivation to win
difficult matches at the biggest stage . It was a gallant effort from Delpo as well .

222.jpg

Federer certainly isn't playing his best tennis at this years French Open , he admitted in his
press conference that he is still struggling to find his rhythm but the important thing is that
inspite of not playing his best , he managed to reach another Grand -Slam semifinal .

Juan Martin was an absolutely class in his presser as he insisted that he didn't lose because he
struggled physically but lost because Federer was simply the better player at the end .
It is fantastic sportsmanship and heart warming to see such mutual respect between players .

2012-06-05T180252Z_1_CBRE8541E4V00_RTROPTP_3_OUKSP-UK-TENNIS-OPEN-FEDERER.JPG

The other Quarter-Final between Djokovic and Tsonga was no short of drama . Djokovic was off the
blocks early and took the first set 6-1 in just 20 mins . The World No.1 went up a break immediately
in the 2nd set as he looked in full command .The Frenchman then made a great comeback as he broke
Djokovic's serve twice to clinch the second set 7-5 .Tsonga then took the 3rd set 7-5 as well .
With the French Crowd behind him and having a 2 sets to 1 lead Tsonga seemed likely to pull off
an upset over Djokovic . Being the fighter that he is Djokovic dug deep & fought for every point in
the 4th set . Djokovic was serving at 15-40 at 5-6 in the 4th set as Tsonga had 2 match points .
Djokovic was fearless and aggressive on the Break Points and saved them both .
This fighting spirit and never say die attitude has been a hallmark of the Serbs game for the past
couple years . He saved match points against Federer at USO and came back from a 3-5 deficit in the
5th set against Nadal at this years Australian Open .
Tsonga could not make the most of 4 Match Points , which will haunt him and at the end was the
difference between winning and losing . Djokovic took the 4th set 7-6 to force a deciding set .
Djokovic upped his own level of play in the decider and Frenchman looked pre-occupied and haunted
by his lost chances in the 4th set . Djokovic clinched the fifth set 6-1 to win an epic thriller .

show_image_248.jpg

It will be a repeat of last years semi-final between Federer and Djokovic . Federer won that match
in 4 sets to put an end to Djokovic's unbeaten run in 2011 . Many term that match as one of the best
matches of 2011 . This years Semi-Final should be a battle -royal as well between these men .
Both Federer and Djokovic would believe that they can win , considering Djokovic's recent success
against Federer in Grand -Slams Djokovic may start as the favorite in the semi-final .
Federer hasn't been playing his best tennis yet in the tournament and he needs to play a lot better
than he has, to beat Djokovic . It should be a high quality match none the less .
489c5f8612c78c37fd15796d4d6ebf4b.jpg

Federer still holds a winning head to head record against Djokovic , but past records won't matter .
The player who plays the big points well and keep their nerve will earn a ticket to the Final .
Should be a cracking match and the spectators are guaranteed some high quality tennis on Friday .

#2 Anna

Anna

Featured Columnist

• Moderators-
  • 469 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Current mood: Fine

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:53 PM

Excellent article indeed.. Loved reading it. No doubt, Nole will be much more confident because of his last two wins, but, at the end of time, who so ever plays good, will win.
Follow my posts on--

Twitter | Google Plus | Facebook | My posts via E-mail

#3 sausan

sausan

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 3,256 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:57 PM

Thank you for this wonderful article
I enjoyed to read it

I hope to be an exciting match on Friday
And win be for Federer

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#4 Inez

Inez

Featured Columnist

• Moderators-
  • 395 posts
  • LocationBarcelona, Spain

Current mood: Cool

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:46 AM

Great article, I liked the insights u gave & feels great to be back on the forum after a long break.
I am available on -----

Twitter | G Plus | FB | Read my posts via E-mail Subscription

#5 Grean

Grean

Roger Federer Fans Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:34 PM

good reading. ;p but I felt oh so bad after Rog's defeat against that Serbian. haha. this is worse than a break-up :(( :unsure:

#6 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,224 posts
  • LocationIncredible India & Tennis world Traveller.

Current mood: Sporty

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:36 AM

good reading. ;p but I felt oh so bad after Rog's defeat against that Serbian. haha. this is worse than a break-up :(( :unsure:

well, very frankly, the loss at US open 2011 was surely more heart-breaking than a break up.... The French open semi-final loss was surely not as painful as US open losses of 2011 & 2009.

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+