• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

[PREVIEW] History comes calling - Federer v. Murray - Wimbledon 2012

roger federer andy murray wimbledon history in the making classic tennis final atp itf episode XVI

21 replies to this topic

Poll: Who Makes History? (9 member(s) have cast votes)

All right, folks - what will it be?

1. Magic #17 (7 votes [77.78%])

Percentage of vote: 77.78%

2. Magic #1 (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 kartnite

kartnite

Roger Federer Fans 1000 Title

• Moderators
  • 118 posts
  • LocationMy Father, Let my country awake!

Current mood: Bookworm

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:57 AM

Posted Image

Prior to their last meeting at a Grand Slam, under the lights of a warm Melbourne night, the elder statesman joked... Much to the amusement and delight of the viewers: "[Andy] would like to win the first for 'British Tennis' in... What is it? Like, 150,000 years? ..."

And the aftermath [of what would turn out to be a rather resounding thrashing] looked something like this: Roger Federer would raise his arms in triumph while the vanquished Andy Murray would disconsolately lament: "I can cry like Roger. It's just a shame I can't play like him..."

As we all know... Federer would go on a surprising title drought (especially at Grand Slam level) since that festive night. First, losing from match-points up (against Berdych & Baghdatis), seeing his semi-final streak come to an end (Söderling, Roland Garros 2010), losing his #1 ranking (an agonizing week short of tying Pete Sampras' record), another loss from match-points up (Djokovic, US Open 2010) before finally landing a Grand Slam final appearance (l. Nadal, Roland Garros 2011) but again facing new "lows" such as losing from two-sets-to-love up (Tsonga, Wimbledon 2011) and losing from two-sets-to-love and match-points up (Djokovic, US Open 2011)! Not to mention he was even relegated to being the world's fourth-best player for a brief while!

In that period (Australian 2010 - Wimbledon 2012), Roger Federer appeared in a grand total of ONE Grand Slam final and that too, in a lost cause.

Not that Andy Murray fared any better. He also appeared in the same small matter of ONE Grand Slam final (Australian, 2011) and contested in yet another lopsided loss, this time to Novak Djokovic - a fellow the world did not know yet, as **the** Novak Djokovic of 2011...

But also in that period, Mr. Murray did one thing right to boost his confidence, even if by a small margin - get the better of Mr. Federer in a final. He did that, not once - but twice. Including a 6/3, 6/2 pasting at ATP Shanghai 2010. Never before (in the lead up to ATP Toronto 2010, their fourth meeting in an ATP final) had Murray bested Federer in a final of any ATP event, but that changed in Toronto when Murray defeated a valiant Federer (who was coming off a testing semi-final) 7/5, 7/5. At Shanghai, as mentioned in the previous sentence, he performed even better. In fact, Murray would go on leapfrog Federer in the rankings for the first time in his career.

Over now, to Episode XVI of Roger Federer (SUI) v. Andy Murray (GBR).

This is when we place a small asterisk. All of their 15 head-to-heads have been contested on hard courts, traditionally Andy's favoured surface. Not that Roger is any slouch on the cement, but the conditions on which Andy has won most of his titles and feels home at. In fact, the Scot (forgive me, BBC - I am only calling YOUR bluff. Andy wins, he is British. Andy loses, he is Scot) has gone on record saying that he fancies his chances more on the quicker hard courts of Flushing Meadows...

Which brings us back to the cusp of this history-making clash. Their first outside the blue stuff. No, not blue clay either. Poetic that this face-off is on the traditional tennis surface. Federer, a stickler for tradition, against someone from the country where this lovely sport originated [more like an extended garden tea party of the upper class!] on the hallowed and venerated lawns of South West 19.

Enroute the final,
» Both have dropped four sets apiece.
» In terms of opposition, Murray has faced most of the big servers (plus grinders like Davydenko & Ferrer) while Federer has played most of the grinders (plus the odd big game player like Benneteau & Djokovic).
» Federer has fewer aces than Murray (59:74) - a surprise, because you'd normally expect Roger to be aceing past his opponents on the turf - but not too much of a surprise either, looking at how Andy has beefed up his service game!
» Federer has a winners-to-errors ratio of 2.5 is slightly ahead of Murray's 2.3
» Roger is 2-1 on tie breaks won/lost while Andy is 3-2.
» Roger has made a higher % of 1st serves, but only just (66:63).
» Roger has made fewer double faults (8:17), unsurprising because he doesn't take risk on his 2nd serve although it is good enough.
» Roger is slightly ahead in terms of % 1st serve points won (79:77).
» But... May be crucially... Murray is clearly ahead in terms of % 2nd serve points won (67:61).
» And in terms of the average ranking of vanquished opponents, Murray has progressed through an opposition with a combined average rank of 30 while Federer's opposition has had a combined average rank of 42.

The last point, of course, can be looked at in a number of ways - but lets just take it at face value.

In short, there isn't much separating these two this time around. It will boil down to big game temperament. Roger's nous of being in the final round of a Grand Slam a staggering 24 times [where he has only once been defeated by a person not name Rafael Nadal] and his chance to create more history {versus} Andy's nerves on his home court, the grandest stage, on *the* big day, during a Jubilee Year.

With Jonathan Marray triumphing in Saturday's gentlemen's doubles final, you may wonder if the pressure is eased or reinforced on Andy Murray's shoulders! You can argue that he needn't be seen as the "first since xyz", because Jonny beat him to it, and so the pressure is off. But you can also say that Great Britain will be all the more pumped to see not one, but two triumphant Poms (sorry, I had to bring that adjective at some point in this article!) at the end of the world's greatest tennis tournament.

Will the resolute Roger Federer, yet again, stand tall? After all, this is where things fell in-place for him all those years ago...

Or.

Were the tricky third quarter, Rafael Nadal's early exit and Jonny Marray's triumph a sign of things to come for Andy Murray?

In any case, ladies and gentlemen, this is one for the ages. The Championships at Wimbledon will yet again prove that here is where single-handed champions of the world are crowned, where history is made and where dreams are realised.

Like I always say... May the better player on the day win.

- - -
Play!

PS: Aaaaalllllllllllllleeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Federer! (Yes, I **had** to say that, too!)
- I am not what I am. And what I am not, that is precisely what I am.

#2 Guest_Vinod_*

Guest_Vinod_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:06 AM

Fed will win in five after winning first two- Andy making comeback 3rd set for sure - fourth set will be close to taking it to 5 but it will go to five like Tsonga match last year........

#3 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,222 posts
  • LocationIncredible India & Tennis world Traveller.

Current mood: Sporty

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:21 AM

Great article.. Loved the insights.. Brought back some happy & some reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy-2 sour memories ...

I too will repeat what I said before (just like you) , may the best player win :)

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#4 kartnite

kartnite

• Moderators
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:37 AM

Vinod:

Federer winning is probably more important than the number of sets to which this may (or may not) go. Nevertheless, amen to your words - especially the result!

#5 kartnite

kartnite

• Moderators
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

Vibhu:

Many thanks.

Unfortunately... We have to live with those rather sad memories too. Seeing your man lose and especially contriving to lose from winning positions hurt big time, no doubt. Hope we have seen the last of it.

But that's the game... No draws, as the great man has himself said. Only a winner. And a loser.

Fingers-crossed.

#6 sausan

sausan

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 2,565 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

I enjoyed reading it very .....thumbs up
i'm waiting for the the history 7th title Wimbledon and 17th Grand Slam and the most important ranking No.1

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#7 Poorna

Poorna

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 746 posts
  • LocationIncredible India <3

Current mood: Woot!

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

WOWWWW!! amazing kartz! colourful.. heheheh! :) and waiting for another historic finals! Go ROGER!! :wub: :wub:
Posted ImageNo Matter What we will support him always!! My love.... Roger Federer!

#8 Anna

Anna

Featured Columnist

• Moderators-
  • 469 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Current mood: Fine

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

nice preview, thou. I will keep it simple & say that this match will be over in 3 sets (this is more of a logical guess than any factual guess) & any wonders, who can win this match in 3 sets :)
Follow my posts on--

Twitter | Google Plus | Facebook | My posts via E-mail

#9 Guest_RAM_*

Guest_RAM_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

On court time of Murray is nearly four and half hours more than Federer ..This plays a important role is match is played 4 long duration..and benefit the GLOBAL PEOPLE'S CHAMPION Federer .Rooting 4 Federer win and let the KING'S REIGN begin again!!!!! :)

#10 kartnite

kartnite

• Moderators
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

sausan:

#7, #17 & #286+: Key numbers... Hope they come true. :)

#11 kartnite

kartnite

• Moderators
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

Shahini:

Thank you... Aren't we all..! Fingers-crossed.

#12 kartnite

kartnite

• Moderators
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

Anna:

Wow... Bold prediction. :) More power to your words!

#13 Kristina

Kristina

Featured Columnist

• Moderators-
  • 282 posts
  • LocationLondon

Current mood: Grumpy

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:50 PM

Nice article. Thou, how much will I love to see a 5 setter final :).. From the first day, I felt, that if any player can adjust on indoor garss, it has to be Roger as I think, of all the guys in this sport, he is the one who can keep his mind free from all this indoor, outdoor, red clay, blue clay stuff.

I always feel that a player who can keep his mind free from all such stuff always has a better chance to win.
If you like my posts, then please follow me to ensure that you don't miss any of the posts via-----

E-mail Subscription | Twitter | G Plus | FB |

#14 Inez

Inez

Featured Columnist

• Moderators-
  • 395 posts
  • LocationBarcelona, Spain

Current mood: Cool

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

Feels good to be back here on the Wimbledon final day, have been traveling like mads in the past 2 months. Love the new changed look of forum, so easy to search & post now, plus, all these changed feature, make it look & work even better :).

Was a very nice article to read, I loved the factual information, I also believe that Roger will have a much-2 better chance to win under roof.

So, my prediction is a 4 set win, will feel sorry for Murray thou. Hope, he can win a slam soon :). Vamos Roger.
I am available on -----

Twitter | G Plus | FB | Read my posts via E-mail Subscription

#15 kartnite

kartnite

• Moderators
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

Kristina:

True that... Lets hope for some history - one we can all celebrate together. :)

#16 kartnite

kartnite

• Moderators
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:14 PM

Inez:

Welcome back! And thank you for the kind words... More power to your prediction!

#17 kartnite

kartnite

• Moderators
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

Vibhu:

Like we just said... Federer needs to make the most of the Murray second serve. :/

#18 kartnite

kartnite

• Moderators
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:06 PM

So... Murray has his first set in a Grand Slam final. Now, kid... Be a good chappy and roll over for the Maestro.

#19 V.K. Batra

V.K. Batra

Editor In Chief

• Moderators
  • 481 posts
  • LocationDelhi:: Karnal:: Sydney:: Chandigarh

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:13 PM

& now, the roof is on, lets see if it suits maestro or not :)

#20 kartnite

kartnite

• Moderators
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:48 PM

YYYYYYEEEEEAAAAHHHHHHH...!!!!!!!!!!! We did it!!!!!!!!

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roger federer, andy murray, wimbledon, history in the making, classic, tennis, final, atp, itf, episode XVI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+