• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 8 votes

Why is there no rest between Basel/Valencia, Bercy Masters and World Tour Finals in 2012?

ATP ATP 500 ATP 1000 Basel Swiss Indoors Bercy Masters WTF World Tour finals WTF 2012

10 replies to this topic

#1 Anna

Anna

Featured Columnist

• Moderators-
  • 469 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Current mood: Fine

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:09 AM

As most of you would be aware that in 2012, ATP has shortened the Tennis calendar by two weeks.

Thou, the number of tournaments have remained the same, but, the Tournaments after Shanghai Masters, 2012 have been preponed by a week or two to ensure that the ATP Calendar finishes two weeks before than in 2011.

The 2011 Swiss Indoors, Basel & Valencia Open (both ATP-500) were held between 31st October to 6th November, 2012.

Posted Image

In 2012, Swiss Indoors, Basel & Valencia Open (both ATP-500) have been preponed by a week & starting from 22nd October to 28th October, 2012.

Similarly, our Bercy Masters in 2011 was held from 7th November, 2011 to 13th November, 2011.

Posted Image

& in 2012, Bercy Masters is starting on 29th October, 2012 & finishing on 4th November, 2012.

Also, in 2011, there was a gap of one week after Bercy & season ending World Tour finals was held from 21st November, 2011 to 27th November, 2011.

Posted Image

(Pic taken by Randerer Randi Himle

But, in 2012, season ending World Tour finals starts immediately after Bercy Masters from 5th November, 2012 & ends on 12th November, 2012.

This post has been promoted to an article
Follow my posts on--

Twitter | Google Plus | Facebook | My posts via E-mail

#2 Anna

Anna

Featured Columnist

• Moderators-
  • 469 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:44 AM

So, let me analyze the possible reasons for ATP deciding to shorten the Tennis calendar in 2012?

As a lot of players were criticizing the long Tennis calendar, so in 2011, players council recommended to the ATP Board of directors to shorten the calendar & thats why, we have this jam-packed October/November, 2012 season :(.

This is what Roger Federer had said about shortening of the Tennis calendar in 2012 in an interview after WTF in November, 2011.

Q. Can you give us an update on the current state of affairs in the debate about the length of the season and whether a strike is still an option?

ROGER FEDERER : No. It's not been an option really, in my opinion.

Next year's season is going to be shortened by two weeks. That's I think as much as we can squeeze it really because otherwise a lot of tournaments would have to go or we would have four tournaments the same week, which I don't think is a very smart idea, to be honest, for the game.

Follow my posts on--

#3 Anna

Anna

Featured Columnist

• Moderators-
  • 469 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:37 AM

To know more about the Players council & ATP committee responsible for taking such decisions & their structure, see this detailed post ------

http://www.rogerfedererfans.com/forum/topic/748-atp-board-approves-change-in-time-violation-penalty-and-no-let-on-service-on-trial-basis-in-challenger-series/#entry7015

Follow my posts on--

#4 Poorna

Poorna

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 759 posts
  • LocationIncredible India <3

Current mood: Woot!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

Anna
thanks a lot!! i loved the pics!!
Posted ImageNo Matter What we will support him always!! My love.... Roger Federer!

#5 V.K. Batra

V.K. Batra

Editor In Chief

• Moderators
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDelhi:: Karnal:: Sydney:: Chandigarh

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

Excellent report. I am sure, many people are wondering why ATP changed the Tennis calendar in 2012. Thanks for posting.

Thou, would have been bit better if there was a week's gap between Bercy Masters & World Tour Finals.

#6 Yuliana

Yuliana

Roger Federer Fans Challenger Title

• Members +
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNYC, USA

Current mood: Breezy

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:48 AM

Yes, I can understand the tournys being preponed but still can't fathom, why Bercy (ATP-1000) & the prestigious WTF were packed together without any delay :(... Too bad

#7 Anna

Anna

Featured Columnist

• Moderators-
  • 469 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:11 AM

Thanks a lot. Glad you all liked the article. Poorna Thanks, the pics were just supplementary, my main purpose was to enlighten the main reason why Basel/Valencia then Bercy Masters & then WTF will be held continuously :(...
Follow my posts on--

#8 sausan

sausan

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 3,256 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:35 AM

thanks Anna so much, good report.

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#9 Kristina

Kristina

Featured Columnist

• Moderators-
  • 282 posts
  • LocationLondon

Current mood: Grumpy

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:55 AM

No doubt, ATP messed up the schedule this year by not giving any rest between Bercy Masters & WTF. Just imagine, if any of the TOP 8 reaches the final of Bercy & WTF, that would practically mean 11 matches in 14 odd days...

Hope, some sense will prevail next year.....
If you like my posts, then please follow me to ensure that you don't miss any of the posts via-----

E-mail Subscription | Twitter | G Plus | FB |

#10 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,224 posts
  • LocationIncredible India & Tennis world Traveller.

Current mood: Sporty

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

Thou, the possible solution of this is to shift World Tour Finals possibly in October(just like WTA year-end championship) & may be, shift Bercy Masters in February as rumors are suggesting.

To know more about this rumor, see this detailed discussion --------

http://www.rogerfede...rs-in-february/

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#11 V.K. Batra

V.K. Batra

Editor In Chief

• Moderators
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDelhi:: Karnal:: Sydney:: Chandigarh

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

Saw couple of tweets by (self proclaimed) English scholars discussing that "preponed" word used here isn't any word. For all those English scholars,

This is what 'prepone' means ---

bring (something) forward to an earlier date or time:

e.g. the publication date has been preponed from July to June

(Source: Oxford dictionary)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+