• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 7 votes

Will Roger Federer renew his contract with Swiss Indoors, Basel?

Roger Federer swiss indoors basel basel 2012 contract hopefully

16 replies to this topic

#1 Roger Federer Fans

Roger Federer Fans

Site Admin & WebMaster

• Moderators-
  • 1,671 posts

Current mood: Inspired

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:11 AM

Roger Federer in his post match speech after losing the final match of Basel, 2012 against Del Potro, said in Swiss German (to the crowd) & I quote, "Hopefully we will see you again next year."

For those of you, who can understand, Swiss German, you can see the video of this speech here.

To this, most of the Swiss Federer Fans who are regular at Basel, commented, Roger, "I really don't like the word hopefully, we have to see you at Basel next year at any cost". Just to quote our own penabaza, this "hopefully" word almost left me in tears & perhaps, emotionally drained.

Thou, if you have a look at all the speeches that Federer has given in the last 10 years or so, he has always added the word, hopefully every time, be it after Wimbledon or any ATP-250 Tournament for that matter.

But, before you start thinking, that I am writing this article just to make you understand the meaning of word, hopefully, the answer is no.

A couple of days back, the renowned Swiss journalist Rene Stauffer (who is world famous for being the author of Roger Federer's AutoBioGraphy "Quest For Perfection"), wrote an article in German for Tages Anzeiger.

As the article was in Swiss German, so, here is our translation (its not a word by word translation, only the excerpts are being written here, please see the article yourself).

As Roger Federer's 5 years contract with Swiss Indoors, Basel is getting over in 2012, so, almost every one wants to know that will Roger Federer renew his contract with Swiss Indoors, Basel?

Posted Image

According to the article, Tony Godsick, the manager of the Roger Federer, demanded more than double the starting salary (of around CHF 500,000), which Federer was getting so far.

Roger Brennwald (the Swiss Indoors, Basel, tournament President) said yesterday: "We will do everything to ensure Roger Federer keeps playing at Basel. But we donot have inexhaustible possibilities. Maybe we can no longer keep up. Not everyone can afford to pay a Rolls-Royce(referring to the 1 million starting salary as asked by Godsick).

Posted Image

Brennwald chose his words very carefully." Federer and indoors, that is, it was a win-win situation. Hopefully it is still possible(to ensure Federer keeps playing at Basel). Maybe a year. Maybe five years. That depends on the results of the talks. "

The Swiss Indoors without Federer - this is actually impossible, as long as it is still active.

Federer suggested after the semi-final: "I hope that I will play again. That is the goal of all involved. But right now I'm focusing on the end of the season, then we'll see. "

When asked whether it was the question of the money, Federer replied: "I think the money is not the problem. If I was running only after money, I would have made many other decisions, played throughout Asia. I have always given priority to Basel. "He confirmed that there had been negotiations. "I have already helped a lot of tournaments. Because of that the onus is more on him than on me. "

Tony Godsick, who is back to U.S. didn't want to comment on the recent progress of the negotiations. Because this year after Basel, two major tournaments in two weeks to follow (Paris-Bercy and the ATP finals), would the Swiss Indoors - that Federer has never missed when he has been fit will the Swiss Indoors, Basel remain in Roger Federer's tennis schedule of 2013?

Godsick wants to wait for the time being

"We will wait and see and analyze the impact of these changes," says Godsick. After the strenuous Olympic year Federer wants to plan 2013 intelligently - with the intention of being able to extend his career as long as possible.

So, it remains to be seen if his tome tournament Swiss Indoors, Basel & the Davis Cup will remain Roger Federer's priority or not?

For all his fans all across the planet especially the Swiss fans(who get to see him only once or twice a year), here's hoping, Roger Federer keeps playing at Swiss Indoors, Basel.

Subscribe us via -----

E-mail Subscription | Twitter | G Plus | FB |

Read our ---

Disclosure| FAQ

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this site & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time member of RF Fans.

#2 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

Roger Federer Fans 3rd Grand Slam Title

• Moderators-
  • 1,412 posts
  • LocationPerched on a Comfy Chair - UK

Current mood: Dreaming

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:32 AM

I wonder why Roger's manager, Tony Godsick, has demanded such an increase in the starting salary for playing Basel in the future? Surely for his "home tournament" Roger's fitness and schedule of play at this time in the season would come first. It's not as if the Federer team are hard up after all!!

PS: Important update : Roger Federer confirms to playing at Swiss Indoors, Basel 2013 without a contract, scroll down for details.

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#3 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,224 posts
  • LocationIncredible India & Tennis world Traveller.

Current mood: Sporty

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:12 AM

Well, other than the financial issues as discussed above, also there are some stories going around that Basel organizing committee wants a minimum of 4 years contract (source : A news report on a swiss channel, as told by @penabaza to me).

Thou, for the sake of all Swiss fans, I really hope that all Federer plays @ Basel :)..

PS: Scroll down for more updates.

Follow me via -----

Twitter | Gplus | FB Subscribe to my Articles via E-mail alerts

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#4 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:29 AM

A four year contract may be difficult to keep bearing in mind Roger's age. It cannot be as easy for him to commit himself that far ahead now. Realistically take every year as it comes.

It will be heartbreaking for fans when he does decide to retire. But in a way it would be easier to take him leaving whilst still in the top few of the ATP rankings, rather than sliding way down. We shall see.

2014Wimbledonavatar-reducedampedited_zps .... peRFection ~ it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#5 V.K. Batra

V.K. Batra

Editor In Chief

• Moderators
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDelhi:: Karnal:: Sydney:: Chandigarh

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

I also think, money won't be an issue for Roger Federer playing at Basel. May be, some thing related to duration of contract.

But, there is absolutely no doubt, that 80-90% of interest & buzz & yes, of course, the tickets collection at Swiss indoors is because of Roger Federer.

#6 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 2,933 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

:( :angry: :unsure: :wacko: :blink:

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#7 Wendy_redRobin

Wendy_redRobin

• Moderators-
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

But, there is absolutely no doubt, that 80-90% of interest & buzz at Swiss indoors is because of Roger Federer.

..... and that translates through to my emotional involvement with tennis, 80 to 90% is to do with Roger Federer. There is something magical about that young man that nobody else has however well they may play the game.

#8 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,732 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:10 AM

Update :::::::::  As per a latest article by Andreas W. Schmid for Tagesanzeiger,

Tony Godsick, the manager of Roger Federer doesn't wish to comment on whether the Swiss tennis star will play at the Swiss Indoors to be held between 19 to 27 October, 2013. God refused to answer even on the state of negotiations: "I will not talk to the press about the Federer-Basel-Deal," he replied in an email, "I request for your understanding of the issue."

When we tried to contact Roger Brennwald (Swiss Indoors tournament director) , he replied "I can not say anything about it - except that I continue to hope that it comes to a peaceful solution" Roger Federer after losing the Quarter-Final at Indian Wells to Rafa Nadal is currently on a few days holiday with the family, before he begins a long training block for the long clay court season.

So far there is no confirmed news in this matter. "Things in Basel were just bad," Federer said in mid-December during his trip to South America to "Tages-Anzeiger" to, "but hopefully, all will be sorted out in the next few weeks."

A month earlier (in November, 2012), Roger Brennwald and Godsick had met at the ATP World Tour Finals in London on an initial discussion to resolve any misunderstandings. Actual negotiations were held. The two parties agreed to meet in the coming months once again, "Then it will sooner or later come to an agreement", was what confident Federer had said during WTF.

After the Australian Open, it was the second meeting between Brennwald and Godsick. How much closer the two sides were, is not known. But apparently nothing is official yet. At the same time it is clear that you do not have unlimited time to reach a decision. Roger Brennwald late April or early May has to hold his spring press conference. {with inputs from Basler Zeitung}.

PS: Like every year, the tickets for Swiss Indoors, Basel go for sale from 23rd April, 2013. Last year, we witnessed a 100% sell-out for the semis and finals in a couple of hours. So, to the best of my knowledge, if Roger Federer will be playing in Basel 2013 or not, will be known or or before 23rd April, 2013. Will keep you updated, follow us on Facebook or Gplus or Twitter to get timely updates.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this website & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time premium member of this forum.

#9 DenizYildiz

DenizYildiz

Roger Federer Fans 250 Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationTurkey

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:52 AM

Roger shouldnt sıgn for 4 years, he should play basel for maxımum two years. basel and london master vıctory can help roger a lot about poınts:)

#10 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:02 PM

Roger shouldnt sıgn for 4 years, he should play basel for maxımum two years. basel and london master vıctory can help roger a lot about poınts:)

Ha ha Deniz, I really love it when you link every thing to ranking points ;)...

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#11 DenizYildiz

DenizYildiz

Roger Federer Fans 250 Title

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationTurkey

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:07 AM

Hahah :)) thats just because ı love hım sooo much

#12 Vibhu batra

Vibhu batra

Hobby Writer

• Administrators
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:12 AM

Hahah :)) thats just because ı love hım sooo much

& for @Sausan also ::

If Swiss Indoors is making a 2 million profit from this tournament, then being from this very industry,
I see no harm in Godsick demanding 1 million...

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#13 Vibhuism

Vibhuism

Featured Columnist, Ranking Expert

• Moderators-
  • 1,732 posts
  • LocationDelhi, Incredible India & Tennis world Traveller

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:32 AM

Another Update :::

Roger Federer is in Zurich & he (along with Godsick) are in a meeting with Brennwald (Swiss Indoors tournament director). To know more about it, click here.

Follow me via -----

Read more About Me.

#14 V.K. Batra

V.K. Batra

Editor In Chief

• Moderators
  • 482 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

Amidst all the speculation, finally Roger Federer has decided to play at Basel this year. Thou, there's has been no contract, but in an interview to Rene Stauffer Tages-anzeiger, Federer revealed that he doesn't need a deal to play at Basel, he will do it for his fans & himself.

"I can play at Basel without any agreements or contracts, if I feel like it. To compete on home soil, is very special for me, "Federer stated.

On the back problems that had recently affected him at the Indian Wells in mid-March Federer stated. "It was longer than I had thought. I am glad that I am now back in training and also play tennis. "

Scroll down for the article and its translation.

#15 V.K. Batra

V.K. Batra

Editor In Chief

• Moderators
  • 482 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

Here is a pic of the full article by Rene Stauffer posted in today morning's Tages-anzeiger

rene.jpg

pic credit : Benjamin Bruni

PS: Will post the full translated article in a couple of hours, do watch out.

#16 sausan

sausan

• Moderators-
  • 2,933 posts
  • Locationisrael...

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

Oh ya, now i'm happy :) :)

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a Roger Federer to smile.

Thanks Kishore :)

Follow us also on...

Twitter    Google Plus   E-mail Subscription   Facebook

#17 Roger Federer Fans

Roger Federer Fans

Site Admin & WebMaster

• Moderators-
  • 1,671 posts

Current mood: Inspired

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

For the full translated interview of Roger Federer, please click here.

Subscribe us via -----

E-mail Subscription | Twitter | G Plus | FB |

Read our ---

Disclosure| FAQ

To make this web-site better, please consider donating. All your donations go for the maintenance and making this site & forum better. You can make your donations here & become a life-time member of RF Fans.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Roger Federer, swiss indoors, basel, basel 2012, contract, hopefully

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SUBSCRIBE RF FANS on ->

DMCA.comGoogle+